Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can't think of a more Argento-like film I have ever seen than Black Swan!

Not even Knight Moves or Watch Me While I Kill!

Maybe Mute Witness...

Old 13th May 2012, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I watched The Reef last night.

Absolutely brilliant. I found it really gripping in the way films like The Haunting grip you with sounds and slight movements.

I wasn't expecting much but i really enjoyed it. It was a nice thought provoking film. Do you stay on the upturned yacht or do you swim for it with no land in sight?

I thought it far superior to other in-water thrillers such as Adrift and Open Water as the characters were more likeable and looked out for each other rather than squabbling all the time.

The shark attacks when they came seemed realistic in their approach (I watch The Blue Planet box set quite a bit) and the shark filming was well done.

As for the question do you stay or swim? - I am actually a pretty strong swimmer myself and have awards for it, but their is no way i would have even attempted the swim.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-reef-dvd-francais.jpg (91.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 13th May 2012, 06:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

Absolutely brilliant. I found it really gripping in the way films like The Haunting grip you with sounds and slight movements.

I wasn't expecting much but i really enjoyed it. It was a nice thought provoking film. Do you stay on the upturned yacht or do you swim for it with no land in sight?

I thought it far superior to other in-water thrillers such as Adrift and Open Water as the characters were more likeable and looked out for each other rather than squabbling all the time.

The shark attacks when they came seemed realistic in their approach (I watch The Blue Planet box set quite a bit) and the shark filming was well done.

As for the question do you stay or swim? - I am actually a pretty strong swimmer myself and have awards for it, but their is no way i would have even attempted the swim.

Highly recommended.

Harrowing and wonderful film. One of my very faves of recent years.
Old 13th May 2012, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Harrowing and wonderful film. One of my very faves of recent years.
I bought and watched it on your recomendation Goji.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:02 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Went to see Piranha 3DD today. Actually my first time seeing one of these new-fangled 3D movies. Last one I saw was Jaws 3D Really enjoyed it, even more than the first film. And anything where the Hoff takes the piss out of himself can only be good.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 13th May 2012, 07:28 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

Highly recommended.
I've been wanting to catch this for a while, it's by the same team that made Black Water I believe. If you haven't seen, also very highly recommended, not quite as good as the similar Rogue but very nearly.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th May 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Piranha 3DD - at times riotously funny. A great sequel and loads of fun. Me and my mate were the only two people in the screening, which was nice for us, but not so nice for the film's takings! I really recommend it though.

Di Tresette ce n'รจ uno, tutti gli altri son nessuno/The Crazy Bunch - an astoundingly bizarre and unbelievably over-the-top slapstick Spaghetti Western comedy sequel. I have never seen anything like it before and at times couldn't believe what was unfolding on the screen. Like an unholy blend of Sartana, The Three Stooges and Benny Hill. It is hard to credit that this film ever got made. If you want to get weird, it's called Dicke Lufte In Sacremento on the German DVD release. Astonishing, and often very, very funny.

Any Gun Can Play/For A Few Bullets More - less obviously comedy but certainly a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the Spaghetti Western from Enzo Castellari. Some wonderfully strange imagery and three very decent performances from the leads. Lots of pisstaking of Leone films, especially The Good The Bad And The Ugly whose basic plot it "borrows". Worth a watch.

2012 - another ludicrous, OTT epic from Roland Emmerich. More camp and fun than most of his stuff. Entertaining if you don't look at it too hard. A future guilty pleasure like Independence Day? Probably...

Straight On Till Morning - flawed but still splendid Hammer shocker from the fag end of Swinging London. Peter Collinson's attempt at showy New Wave visuals doesn't quite work, but the story is sound. Shane Briant is brilliantly cast as the otherworldly Peter Pan From Hell figure. A brave film for Hammer, and recommended viewing.
Old 14th May 2012, 05:38 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Piranha 3DD - at times riotously funny. A great sequel and loads of fun. Me and my mate were the only two people in the screening, which was nice for us, but not so nice for the film's takings! I really recommend it though.
Only 6 people (including my cousin and myself) when I was at Piranha 3DD yesterday. Don't know what they're missing!
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 14th May 2012, 05:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched wrong turn 4 over the weekend. Utter crap.
Avoid like the plague. Just as bad as wrong turn 3. Watching
dracula prince of darkness bluray tomorrow night. Can't wait.
Old 14th May 2012, 07:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default What films have you seen recently?

Watching The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) at the mo,must of been a good while since I last saw it,like being re-united with an old friend

Like this? Share it using the links below!