Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2012, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict

MOTHERS DAY (origional!)

Not sat and watched this one in years, still as good as ever and very much a Troma film through and through. On face value its another backwoods slasher with hillbilly rapists/killers tormenting a bunch of townies before said townies turn the tables on the killers. But we also get the classic troma intelligence beneath the trashy fun. Imagine Quentin Tarantino if he'd been raised in the new jersy wilderness by a psycho and his pop culture obsessions got driven into darker homicidal terretory and you've got a good idea about where the killers are coming from. They live in the middle of nowhere and their entire social interaction with the outside world has been filtered through the medium of TV. The mother even says at the beginning that she takes what she wants from the modern world off tv and leaves the rest, her house is filled with cheap pop culture tat and theres a tv in every room. Her sons take their victims and stage live tv shows for mother in the yard which always seem to descend into rape. They are psychos that have totally overdosed on pop culture constantly bickering over punk and disco while not showing any awareness or interest in either medium of music!

Add to this the fact that charles Kaufman is clearly a smart guy and a capeable director, so while definately scuzzy and violent it actually looks really good and cuts together as a film really well. We also get 'victims' we can actually empathise with which makes the table turning third act very satisfying to watch indeed and the preceeding scenes surprisingly harrowing considering the vein of black humour running through the movie.

Anchor bay's disc is unfortunately region locked, but if you have the toshiba bdx 1200 and thats not a problem then this is well worth picking up. It looks amazing considering it's vintage and it's in its correct ratio of 1:78:1. A very natural looking transfer that brings out an incredible amount of detail and color and blows any previous release out the water entirely!
Old 1st December 2012, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched my German Bluray of Cassadaga this evening. I quite enjoyed this second time round, a few decent scares even if the plot is nothing to write home about. I missed the scene at the end of the credits first time through and only saw it this time because I'm far to lazy to press stop at the end of the film.
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

cosmopolotis wtf dull boring and by 45 min in i had no interest so turned it off.
First actual film by Cronenberg that i didnt like .. enjoyed all his films.
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Up to episode 5 of Spartacus: Vangance. Amazing eries, easily equal to the first, can't wait to see how this progresses.

Also watched The Night child. A bit slow in my opinion, alright for a lazy evening, though atmosphere/photography were top-notch! Good little doc on the Italian Excorcist rip-off cycle as well!
nekromantik and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

TV screening of Amityville II: The Possession and a far superior film to the limp original. This one begins like a haunted house movie but shifts gears midway and settles into a belated Exorcist leftover, even including a shot of the priest standing before the house of the damned poised for battle. Not to worry though, this one is surprisingly twisted, swapping crucifix-f*cking for a sequence where a brother seduces his pubescent sister, and the film manages to generate some effectively eerie moments. No long lost masterpiece, but directed with flair and enthusiasm by Bullet for the General's Damiano Damiani.

Anyone know if the US MGM or UK Scanbox DVD is worth getting ? I would watch this again...

Last edited by Wes; 2nd December 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Stand By Me last night. What an amazing film. Superb performances by the four young leads. Didn't think he had it in him,but Corey Feldman was brilliant. A great great movie. Gonna pick this up on blu I think. RIP River Phoenix. An awful waste of acting talent. Just an amazing movie.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Watched Stand By Me last night. What an amazing film. Superb performances by the four young leads. Didn't think he had it in him,but Corey Feldman was brilliant. A great great movie. Gonna pick this up on blu I think. RIP River Phoenix. An awful waste of acting talent. Just an amazing movie.
Yep, a very good film, and it does genuinely feel like old times growing up, Reiner really taps into that. I love telling people this was a Stephen King story, it always catches them... I agree about River Phoenix, he was tremendous in Mosquito Coast...
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
TV screening of Amityville II: The Possession and a far superior film to the limp original. This one begins like a haunted house movie but shifts gears midway and settles into a belated Exorcist leftover, even including a shot of the priest standing before the house of the damned poised for battle. Not to worry though, this one is surprisingly twisted, swapping crucifix-f*cking for a sequence where a brother seduces his pubescent sister, and the film manages to generate some effectively eerie moments. No long lost masterpiece, but directed with flair and enthusiasm by Bullet for the General's Damiano Damiani.

Anyone know if the US MGM or UK Scanbox DVD is worth getting ? I would watch this again...
I got the US MGM DVD and its a ok transfer. Does not look amazing but not bad either. I got it in the Amityville boxset (parts 1 - 3 plus documentary).

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Pact-Decent enough ghost film, which wasn't filmed as a found footage film for once, some good acting and a couple of good scares too, overall definitely worth a rental/stream or picking up for a couple of quid in CEX etc. or in my case free from a comp on here
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Todays viewing so far all three are great on different levels.

download.jpg

images (3).jpg

images (4).jpg
VicDakin, Rik, Demoncrat and 3 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!