Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5.5/10

I was expecting it to be absolutely rubbish, but it was actually OK, as a one-off cinematic viewing (definitely not one for the collection). Electro and Rhino reminded me of Edward Nygma and Two-Face in Batman Forever, i.e. very silly. Hans Zimmer was wasted. The emotional scenes didn't affect me. But there were glimpses of the characters properly brought to life, where you're like 'that's Spider-Man!', and I liked it when Rhino started galloping

P.S. What was with the random Days of Future Past clip during the end credits?! I thought Spidey was Sony, and X-Men was Fox!
keirarts, trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cloud Atlas (2012) I was hoping for a little more in regards this and felt somewhat non-plussed I think its going to take multiple viewings.
Snowpiercer (2013) Wasn't too bad it kind of reminded me a little of 'The Prisoner'.

From 1954:
Seven Samurai - Classic but a little overlong
Them! - Giant ants! Great movie
The Naked Jungle - Little ants! This time Chuck Heston battles the deadly 'Marabunta'! Remember seeing this when I was a kid always remember the skeleton in the boat!
West of Zanzibar - This really bored me! An Ealing raritie, just goes to show great studios can miss on a few occasions.
Demetrius and the Gladiators - This I love, from the opening to the end, great action sequences and a great musical score, in my opinion better than its prequel 'The Robe'
Godzilla - Might be a man in a rubber suit but this is another great movie with a score to match.
La Strada - The first Academy Award winning movie for Best Foreign Picture. A classic but for me I really didn't like it.
On the Waterfront - Best Picture winner at the Oscars for that year isn't a bad picture.
L'oro Di Napoli - A collection of stories set in and around Napoli with a young Sophia Loren bouncing and sashaying around, to be honest she was the best thing about the movie.
Hobson's Choice - "By gum!" David Leans movie starring Charles Laughton and John Mills is just brilliant, unbeknownst to me at the time I watched this sixty years to the day it was released in the UK.
The Barefoot Contessa - Ava Gardner id nice enough to look at but the film drags a bit! I'm sure Bogart was getting fed up of roles that required him to wear his customary rain mac whilst standing in the rain!
There's No Business Like Show Business - Marilyn Monroe musical thats not too bad plus it has Mitzi Gaynor so plus plus!
A Star is Born - Another Classic that again dragged! At three hours its way overlong.
Ulysses - Kirk Douglas in pre-Spartacus mode. Not a bad fantasy movie.
Two Nights with Cleopatra - Sophia Loren plays the Egyptian queen in this (apparently) comedy.
The Belles of St. Trinians - OK! This is one of those films that I have never seen before and is regard as a British classic, however for me....'Nar!'
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Of Unknown Origin (1983)

The story of one man's paranoia and obsession which culminates in a desperate fight for survival against man's greatest enemy - The rat.

Often quite disgusting, Of Unknown Origin is a fast paced and exciting horror thriller which goes for the jugular in it's portrayal of human repulsion and fear of histories greatest killer. The film has excellent photography, often showing the rat in close up from interesting angles rather than the usual stock footage action. This cleverly gives the viewer a misrepresentation of the rat's size, it being seemingly a lot larger than a typical rat.

Peter Weller in pre Robocop days gives a virtuoso performance in how to smash up your own home, all in the name of pest control.

Of Unknown Origin is a recommended watch from me, although perhaps not to those with musophobia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ofunknownorigin.jpg (99.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict

Remember seeing that video about years ago but never watched it Dem, is it available on dvd or did u go all retro for the viewing?
Sounds pretty good.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Remember seeing that video about years ago but never watched it Dem, is it available on dvd or did u go all retro for the viewing?
Sounds pretty good.
It's available in the UK. I think it's a round a tenner on Amazon.

I was lucky to notice the region one going for a quid at Zoverstocks a few weeks back so snapped it up.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5.5/10

I was expecting it to be absolutely rubbish, but it was actually OK, as a one-off cinematic viewing (definitely not one for the collection). Electro and Rhino reminded me of Edward Nygma and Two-Face in Batman Forever, i.e. very silly. Hans Zimmer was wasted. The emotional scenes didn't affect me. But there were glimpses of the characters properly brought to life, where you're like 'that's Spider-Man!', and I liked it when Rhino started galloping

P.S. What was with the random Days of Future Past clip during the end credits?! I thought Spidey was Sony, and X-Men was Fox!
Agree especially about the villains, silly and very unthreating especially electro. Said it before just didn't care about the characters no emotional attachment to them. Some small highlights but it's a 5.5 at best. Like you will not be adding this to my collection and if there is a third will probably give it a miss. Also did sony go out of there way to find a director with the sir name of Webb ?
sjconstable likes this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Also did sony go out of there way to find a director with the sir name of Webb ?
That's exactly what I think, because he isn't the right director for the job!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's available in the UK. I think it's a round a tenner on Amazon.

I was lucky to notice the region one going for a quid at Zoverstocks a few weeks back so snapped it up.
Just had a look, will have to get this sometime. Thanks for letting us know, had totally forgotten about this. Love catching up with old films i never got around to.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 23rd April 2014, 11:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Just had a look, will have to get this sometime. Thanks for letting us know, had totally forgotten about this. Love catching up with old films i never got around to.
I noticed it out of the blue. That and another old film Prophecy i'd forgotten about totally. Both delivered for under £2.50 in total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_prophecy-one-sheet-1979.jpg (75.8 KB, 5 views)
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:20 PM
Cult Addict

Yeah i got Prophecy a couple of months ago. Quite enjoyed it, although for me some parts seemed unfinished story wise, i wont say anything more in case you haven't viewed it yet.
The creature is quite effective at times but in a couple of scenes suddenly became hilarious (which is always good). Definitely worth a watch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!