Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2014, 05:53 PM
Cult Addict

Cold eyes of fear.

A lawyer picks up a bird in swinging london and takes her back to his uncles house. Little does he know there's an armed crook whose broken in. Cold eyes of fear is a great little home invasion thriller that really goes all out in surreal visual style and a cat and mouse game between hotage and criminal. Very enjoyable.

A virgin among the living dead.

I watched the 79 minute cut (minus zombie footage shot by Jean Rollin) and actually thoroughly enjoyed this strange surreal tale of a young girl named Christina who heads back to her family home. The whole film plays out like a bizarre death obsessed psychosexual nightmare or rape, murder and her dead father. For me the film features some of the best sequences Franco shot including a frankly disturbing yet beautiful sequence following her hanged father through a garden. I far prefer stuff like this to Female Vampire.
Old 26th February 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Cold eyes of fear.

A lawyer picks up a bird in swinging london and takes her back to his uncles house. Little does he know there's an armed crook whose broken in. Cold eyes of fear is a great little home invasion thriller that really goes all out in surreal visual style and a cat and mouse game between hotage and criminal. Very enjoyable.

I got this free with a Dark Side subscription years ago, great film
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th February 2014, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just about to watch ghostbusters in respect of the passing of Harold Ramis. Seen a lot of Godzilla and 50s sci fi b movies of late will post about them later.
Rik likes this.
Old 26th February 2014, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Just about to watch ghostbusters in respect of the passing of Harold Ramis.
When my girlfriend saw how gutted I was on Monday, she put it on for us and her girls to watch (their first time) while I was outside having a cig, nice gesture I thought
trebor8273 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th February 2014, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I got this free with a Dark Side subscription years ago, great film
The redemption Blu-ray out stateside is well worth considering. There's been no attempt at restoration so print damage is evident throughout but it still looks marvelous with plenty of detail and vibrant colors. Region free as well.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The redemption Blu-ray out stateside is well worth considering. There's been no attempt at restoration so print damage is evident throughout but it still looks marvelous with plenty of detail and vibrant colors. Region free as well.
It's been on my Amazon wishlist since the last time I watched the Redemption DVD that I mentioned earlier
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched the following since my last post:

Philisophers, The my second viewing, but I still find very little to like about this film which is a rather tedious lesson in some of the least interesting aspects of philosophy.

Gravity I'm still unconvinced by the ending, but a great little film with some stunning technical achievement. It loses something without the 3D though - not something I thought I would ever write.

Dark Tourist This could be a great film. My problem is the main protagonist is completely unlikeable and so without anybody to attach myself to I am left as a distant observer.

Ip Man I was disappointed by this on the small screen.

Nothing Left to Fear Another Fright Fest film (Halloween 2013) which I liked more second time round - although that may be because I was less tired this time round.

Thats it for home viewing fora couple of days as I am off on my travels tomorrows heading in the direction of Glasgow and the fest within a fest that is FrightFest Glasgow.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:40 PM
Cult Addict

Blood for Dracula

bfordrac.jpg

Re-watched this the other night and i just have to say that everyone seems to know 'Flesh for Frankenstein' much more, because of it's nasty status.
People seem to overlook 'Blood' but for my mind i much prefer this one.
For some reason i just find this film much funnier and strangely touching in places, firstly i could listen to Udo Kiers pronounciation of wirgins all night long, then we have the really dodgy accents of most of the cast that make you think you've put on Allo Allo by mistake.
All except for Joe Dallasandro who doesn't even make the slightest effort to fit in and just talks in a 70's New York style, which i find hilarious also.
Plenty of breasts, and the representation of Dracula is so off the wall, he is weak and feeble and has to integrate himself into a 'noble' family to look for suitable victims, rather than being powerful and predatory.
Because of the lack of wirgins at home he is suffering withdrawals like a junkie, and when he finally gets tainted blood the reaction is priceless.
And the final scene is hilarious.
I like 'Flesh' but to me it just seems simplistic compared to the uniqueness of 'Blood'.
Old 27th February 2014, 12:07 AM
Cult Addict

Party Animal(1985)

paty.jpg

Re-watched this. It's a film no one seems to remember but i love.
Basically it's like an 80's punky anarchic version of American pie, a student wants to get laid but whatever he does just goes wrong.
I saw this when i was about 13 so this kind of sums up those teenage years of lusting after girls but not getting much action.
The main characters called Pondo, and he tries everything to get laid.
But after shouting "i'd sell my soul for a piece of ass" he discovers an aphrodisiac that gets him everything he wished for and more.
Ok its simplistic and a bit crass, but i still find it hilarious.
The humour reminds me of 'The young ones' with its surreal touches and silly moments and it has a great soundtrack featuring a lot of Buzzcocks songs.
It also appeals to me with it's Faustian premise and movie references.
A forgotten classic in my opinion.
I much prefer this to any other of these type of films,like porky's etc.
Old 27th February 2014, 09:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Recently watched the remastered director's cut of the original Robocop on Blu-ray. An absolute classic! I can't imagine the remake comes anywhere near to the excellence of Verhoeven's flick.
Jani and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!