All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2014, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Evil Inside (2011)

I was hoping for something good in the follow up film from the director of Necromentia, Pearry Teo. Necromentia is a disturbing low budget shocker inspired by the work of Clive Barker. Unfortunately The Evil Inside isn't inspired by Barker. Indeed it has no inspiration at all.

It's basically a lacklustre ghost story about a mentally disturbed girl new to a neighbourhood who holds a small party for some new friends then has a premonition of their impending deaths.

The film really didn't know if it wanted to be a straight forward supernatural horror or a study of a girl and her descent into madness. The acting from all, bar the lead Hannah Ward, is decidedly wooden, with the rest of the characters so stereotypical they makes you want to start a drinking game. Some of the films plot contrivances are less than convincing. For example, how do you become trapped in a house with windows? The films pacing is all over the place. From a promising slow build up everything but the kitchen sink is then thrown at us towards the finale. Well everything bar the kitchen sink and scares, oh! and a decent conclusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L_Sig74.jpg (24.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th February 2014, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
Last night I finally watched the 4K restored Integral Cut of Re-Animator.105 minutes long, it's more than I even dreamed of...One of my all time faves is finally complete, more than happy bout this one, lads.
But the uncut unrated release at 86 minutes is complete. As far as I was aware this was the directors cut of the film. The R-rated cut was missing gore footage and had added plot to compensate. The integral cut seems like a fan edit to me. Interested in checking it out but think it'll end up being like the 'directors cut' of Dawn of the Dead and suffer from poor pacing. The film works great at 86 minutes.

Been watching this over and over....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX53Jb72Nwk

Could it actually turn out....good
Old 25th February 2014, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

THOR:THE DARK WORLD. Thor and Loki battle it out with an army of fairies who look a bit like cybermen. Shit blows up. Good stuff, me and the little MTDSs enjoyed it.
keirarts and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:54 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
But the uncut unrated release at 86 minutes is complete. As far as I was aware this was the directors cut of the film. The R-rated cut was missing gore footage and had added plot to compensate. The integral cut seems like a fan edit to me. Interested in checking it out but think it'll end up being like the 'directors cut' of Dawn of the Dead and suffer from poor pacing. The film works great at 86 minutes.

Been watching this over and over....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX53Jb72Nwk

Could it actually turn out....good
It works better than the unrated cut we're used to, I promise you.Sure, it's a fan edit of sorts, but unrated cut had a lot of bad dialog cuts in it, making it quirky at times.It all belongs there, I just love the new cut.And it all looks seamless, didn't even realise I was watching composite.And about the unrated cut being the definitive director's cut...it's not.Stuart Gordon spoke about it in Brussels 1993.He said they we're about to release a final, definitive version, "The Complete Re-Animator", using it's X & R-rated versions with some then unseen footage added.Don't know what happened to that release though.

Last edited by Jani; 26th February 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
It works better than the unrated cut we're used to, I promise you.Sure, it's a fan edit of sorts, but unrated cut had a lot of bad dialog cuts in it, making it quirky at times.It all belongs there, I just love the new cut.And it all looks seamless, didn't even realise I was watching composite.
Will probably give it a try, I've seen all the additional footage as deleted scenes so I sort of know what i'm in for anyway. I just think 86 mins is the perfect running time and given it's the directors final cut an extended version is going to probably be one of those curios for me rather than a definitive edition. I feel the same way about the longer Dawn of the Dead.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:54 AM
Cult Addict

THE TRIPPER. David Arquette's broad satire at 80s America and Ronald Reagan seems to have few fans but I must say I really enjoyed it. Firstly it looks f*cking fantastic, a mix of grungy woodlands and fairytale psychedelics which ironically give it a 70s vibe. Arquette has a real eye for composing a shot some of which are quite beautiful. The plot is nothing new: kids in the woods being killed by a man in a mask only this time it's a Ronald Reagan mask, the killer wears a suit too which looks nicely out of place in the wood land setting. The violence is violent, the hippies are naked but sadly there are no prolonged drugged up sex scenes, for which I felt the film (or me) would have benefited from. Stand out scene is Ronnie hacking the shit out of a stoned hippy drumming circle whilst American punkers Reagan Youth blasts away on the soundtrack.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE TRIPPER. David Arquette's broad satire at 80s America and Ronald Reagan seems to have few fans but I must say I really enjoyed it. Firstly it looks f*cking fantastic, a mix of grungy woodlands and fairytale psychedelics which ironically give it a 70s vibe. Arquette has a real eye for composing a shot some of which are quite beautiful. The plot is nothing new: kids in the woods being killed by a man in a mask only this time it's a Ronald Reagan mask, the killer wears a suit too which looks nicely out of place in the wood land setting. The violence is violent, the hippies are naked but sadly there are no prolonged drugged up sex scenes, for which I felt the film (or me) would have benefited from. Stand out scene is Ronnie hacking the shit out of a stoned hippy drumming circle whilst American punkers Reagan Youth blasts away on the soundtrack.
Noticed this on Netflix the other day so will definitely give it a go on the basis of your review. Cheers MTDS!
Old 26th February 2014, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE TRIPPER. David Arquette's broad satire at 80s America and Ronald Reagan seems to have few fans
That's 'cos it's garbage.

A film i bought on its release and was really disappointed with it.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:25 PM
Cult Addict

FRANKENSTEIN'S ARMY. Yet another shakey cam, lets run up and down some corridors film, enlivened by some blokes in funny effects suits. Other than the monsters this has nothing new to add to the fat and bloated sub genre of corridor films. This just annoyed me, from it's found footage angle to it's monsters that all seemed vaguely familiar from other films and the more bonkers end of kids cartoons. But mostly what annoyed me was how several times, the unarmed camera man filming everything managed to avoid injury as creatures with bloody great hooks and knives for hands slashed away at him with no ill effect whilst he carried on filming.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's 'cos it's garbage.

A film i bought on its release and was really disappointed with it.
Ah, I went into it presuming the worse and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Rondadoronron likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!