All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2013, 05:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE WARRIORS - What a great movie. Been ages since I last saw it, but it hasn't lost any of its appeal. Set in the neon wilderness of 70s NYC, a place which you imagine felt perpetually on the brink of some kind of apocalypse. The look, feel and sound of the film sum up that era so well, at least in my head. Takes us through endless grey subways and litter strewn alleyways where the gangs thrash it out to a Suicide-esque / Carpenter style soundtrack. The closing scenes in Coney Island seem weirdly biblical, particularly the ones on the beach. Excellent.

Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict

Did you know that the "Warriors! Come out to play!" scene was not scripted? Like all the classics!
Old 5th January 2013, 06:46 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Did you know that the "Warriors! Come out to play!" scene was not scripted? Like all the classics!
That and the sound of the bottles makes for such an amazing scene.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict

LEFT BANK.

A promising runner falls ill, so she decides to move in with her boyfriend at antwerps left bank (think cabrini green from candyman) housing estate. Pretty soon she discovers all is not what it seems in the estate, the previous tennant of her boyfrinds flat dissapeared without a trace. As is usual in these kinds of films she begins digging into the estates past and discovers a disturbing past of pre-christian celtic human sacrifice.

A real slow burner that's really well constructed, chock full of symbolism and metaphore (and a fair share of vaginal imagery) help add deeper subtext to the movie, though its ending WILL piss off a certain sub section of its audience. Comparisons to wicker man and rosemary's baby are fair, but theres also plenty of lynch and cronenberg thrown into the mix as well. The growing sense of dread through the film even evoked ben wheatleys KILL LIST.
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Texas Chainsaw 3Duh: (copied from the TCM3D thread 'cause I'm lazy)

This post contains spoilers so if you're going to go out and see Texas Chainsaw 3D then k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ avoid reading it.

So I genuinely went into this with an open mind, albeit with low expectations. The film starts off with a credits sequence recapping the events of the original film which, really put me in the mood for seeing it, even amidst the murky stereoscopy. Then the stupid teenagers turned up saying stupid teenage stuff as if Cabin in the Woods never happened and it went swiftly downhill. The intense atmosphere and mere suggestion of the horror of the original was replaced by grisly gore, dismemberment and a gratuitous leeriness with the whole thing clearly being an excuse to showcase tedious pointy-pointy chainsaw-in-yer-face effects. And it was just so utterly boring. If it was a remake you could just shrug it off as 'just another remake' (which to a large extent this is as it ticks all of the narrative and visual boxes of the original - picked up hitchhiker, roadkill on the road, Leatherface appearing in a hallway before taking his hammer down onto someone's head etc etc) but this is so much worse as it has the nerve to inject itself into the original films canon (with a very questionable approach to chronology and character age). The film takes a curious turn into Vigilante Group Vs Cannibal Family territory and by the end you're meant to be cheering on Leatherface to get his chainsaw and take revenge on those who killed his family (y'know, for being complicit in his crimes) turning him into a confused man-child (as per the original) with whom you have sympathy for (as not per the original). Out of the five teenagers in the film only 2 actually die at his hands which just furthers this really misguided approach.

On top of it all, it's just utterly, utterly, utterly tedious. An hour in I thought/hoped we were reaching the conclusion and a final showdown only to be dismayed that I'd only been sitting there for 60 minutes.

The 3D is, as ever, a pointless distraction, which adds nothing to the film at all although there is a brilliant bit where there's a close-up of a group photo which you get to see in 3D which is a baffling decision since it's such an inaccurate way of seeing a photo. All in all it really is just a dismal, boring, point-missing waste of time which will be forgotten about very soon and everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed with it
Old 5th January 2013, 07:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
but this is so much worse as it has the nerve to inject itself into the original films canon (with a very questionable approach to chronology and character age).
The continuity is amongst the worst i've seen in a film. Is this set in the 70's? 80's? 90's? 2013?! There was a Iphone at one point!
Old 5th January 2013, 07:03 PM
Cult Master

My mate just text me hes calling for a few drinks and the following films

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

images.jpg

Good times ahead
Rik, PaulD, SharonLynette and 1 others like this.
Old 5th January 2013, 07:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
That and the sound of the bottles makes for such an amazing scene.
I've done it before (probably within this thread), but I'll do it again:

Beware (again). It gets LOUD!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th January 2013, 07:53 PM
Cultist in Training

Who is this Tarantino idiot I keep hearing about? The Church reviews Django!

- Razor88
Old 5th January 2013, 08:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
The continuity is amongst the worst i've seen in a film. Is this set in the 70's? 80's? 90's? 2013?! There was a Iphone at one point!
The bit after the opening credits was set in the 70s and the rest was set now. They kinda made the police guy Hooper (yes, really) look younger in the first scene although the age of the main character and her real family doesn't seem to add up.

Doesn't matter though STABBYSTABBYPOINTYCHAINSAW IN THE SCREEN! LOOK AT IT! DON'T CONCERN YOURSELF WITH THINKING!

Like this? Share it using the links below!