Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179942Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2013, 04:54 PM
Cult Addict

DEATH VALLEY.

God, not seen this one since I had the AVCO EMBASSY pre-cert tape many years ago. Like a lot of the pre-cert material I owned I found it in the bottom of an old cardboard box second hand. I found this one along with SCAREMAKER (aka girls night out with hal holbrook) at the grottier end of portabello road when I was staying with my gran sometime in the early-mid nineties. I used to really like the film so when the scream factory blu hit the shelves I sold a couple of things off on amazon and picked it up.

Turns out its still great!

Though it has some nasty death scenes, the film goes for a more 'hitchcockian' suspense style, letting the audience in on things the characters dont realise. Its just under 90 minutes long and totally gripping with a great performance from peter billingsly (christmas story) and stephen mchattie. Shame its region locked though.

I've stuck a review on amazon, I really need to get back into the habit and write more often, especially while i'm unemployed.
Old 28th February 2013, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

some recent viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (95.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.jpg (94.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0147.jpg (95.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th February 2013, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
CAN'T agree about your COLTD review though.....each to their own, I suppose...
I didn't say I don't like it though
Old 28th February 2013, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Lawless

A lot better than I was expecting (think I remember it getting mixed reviews?). Guy Pearce pretty much stole the show as the villain of the piece, but a strong cast all round. That said, Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska were a little short changed in underwritten roles. Great soundtrack, I liked the idea of using modern music done in a depression-era style (bonus points for the use of Granddaddy’s 'So You'll Aim For the Sky' ). Hillcoat’s back on my radar after the disappointing The Road . . .
Old 28th February 2013, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights film was Nighthawks. A mid-80's action thriller in which Sylvester Stallone and Billy Dee Williams play counter-terrorist policemen hunting down Rutger Hauers ruthless terrorist. Its aged remarkably well, and it is far better than I recalled. The German blu-ray can be found for around 4 Euros in stores here.
trebor8273 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 28th February 2013, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Death Proof today. Thought it was great and i highly recommend it ( even if Tarantino didn't like it much. )
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

X: NIGHT OF VENGEANCE - The title brings a more trashy kind of B-movie to mind, but 'X: Night of Vengeance' is a fairly downbeat and sobering experience, dispensing quickly with its slick erotic-thriller carapace and heading for the gutter where the real action is. It follows the (soon entwined) stories of two women at opposite ends of the prostitution spectrum - Holly, a well connected courtesan and Shay, a desperate teenage runaway. They end up embroiled in a scenario involving drug money and a violent, corrupt cop. Some have pointed out the thin plot and a lack of substance beneath the grit, but I found it engrossing, intense and surprisingly moving in places. There are also some really depressing scenes in a flea pit hotel, where Shay gives a rattling junkie a lesson in venapuncture learned from her mother. In fact, although the film is quite stylishly made, it has a grindingly (and appropriately) desolate atmosphere. And it's only a quid at £Land!
Old 28th February 2013, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
X: NIGHT OF VENGEANCE - The title brings a more trashy kind of B-movie to mind, but 'X: Night of Vengeance' is a fairly downbeat and sobering experience, dispensing quickly with its slick erotic-thriller carapace and heading for the gutter where the real action is. It follows the (soon entwined) stories of two women at opposite ends of the prostitution spectrum - Holly, a well connected courtesan and Shay, a desperate teenage runaway. They end up embroiled in a scenario involving drug money and a violent, corrupt cop. Some have pointed out the thin plot and a lack of substance beneath the grit, but I found it engrossing, intense and surprisingly moving in places. There are also some really depressing scenes in a flea pit hotel, where Shay gives a rattling junkie a lesson in venapuncture learned from her mother. In fact, although the film is quite stylishly made, it has a grindingly (and appropriately) desolate atmosphere. And it's only a quid at £Land!
Is this the film starring the girl from Spartacus Blood and Sand?
Old 28th February 2013, 09:38 PM
Cult Addict

Flesh for Frankenstein: Bit bloody funny isn't it! Don#t get me wrong, it's as artsy a horror movie will ever get, but it's a little hard to take seriously with lines like:
"To understand life, Otto, first you must **** death...in da gall bladder"
****ing class. Love it.

DVD and BD collection
Old 28th February 2013, 10:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Is this the film starring the girl from Spartacus Blood and Sand?
Yes. Viva Bianca.

Like this? Share it using the links below!