Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179790Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

After an afternoon watching speedboat racing on the river Weser I needed something a little slower tonight. So I finally put on Melancholia which has been on the too watch pile since it was released. I was a little disappointed, but as with all of Triers work it was an interesting experience.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:52 PM
Cult Rookie

some of my latest buys over the last few months.

the devil hunter xt hardbox dvd cover c limited to 131.
driller killer hardbox limited to 99
men behind the sun 25th anniversay edition hardbox limited to 111.
men behind the sun 2 limited edition 300 hardbox
the burning hardbox limited to 66 on retro lable
hammer horror selection box set that contains 5 movies"the devil rides out"the horror of frankenstein"scars of dracula"lust for a vampire"blood from the mummys tomb"plus it contains 5 exclusive art cards.
delirium from amazon
human experiments from amazon
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:20 PM
Cultist

Wild Strawberries (1957) Ingmar Bergman
One of his top 5 films, starring Victor Sjöström (Director of The Phantom Carriage, Bergman's favourite film). See link below for the opening scene.

Old 22nd June 2013, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I Confess (1953)

Montgomery Clift stars as a priest who hears the confession of a man who says he murdered someone and unwittingly makes the priest the police's prime suspect.

A classic Hitchcock thriller which he made just before his career went into overdrive with Dial M For Murder, Rear Window and To Catch a Thief. I Confess features some stunning location work in Quebec and flashes of the groundbreaking cinematography which was to come in subsequent films. His black and white camera work acting as if an additional character in this interesting thriller.

What begins as a melodrama accelerates into a tense courtroom thriller as detective Karl Malden begins to suspect the priest might just be a killer. Anne Baxter as the priest's possible lover tries her best to save him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg movieposter.jpg (90.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hobo With a Shotgun

What is there to say about this movie that hasn't already been said...
No, can't think of a damned thing so I'll just have to re-iterate wat has already been said...
This is brutal, bloody, gory Grindhouse at it's finest. This is definitely no "Goatman Murders". There's no ginger, fun-fur pubed circumcised weiner in this one, the only penis we have to see has just been shot to shreds by a shotgun wielding Rutger Hauer in one of his finest "outsider" roles for a long, long time!

There are so many inventive killings in such a rapid succession that it is impossible to catalogue them at a single viewing. We watch as Hauer's Hobo switches from incredulity to disgust and hatred and, finally, to action as he tries to buy a lawnmower in a pawn shop. Then the deaths come quick and thick as "The Drake" rouses the citizens into hunting the homeless just to get the Hobo who beat his son.

Molly Dunsworth, who plays Abby, puts in a sterling performance for someone who is being splattered with blood for so much of the film. She provides the drive for the Hobo's protective "justice"

A fun-filled, exciting film for all the family, well maybe not unless your family's like good ol' Charlie Manson's!

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cleanskin (2012) Sean Bean doing what Sean Bean does...with a Yorkshire accent! At least he aint trying to flog me an O2 simcard!
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:46 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I recently went back over some old Empire magazines to see what Kim Newman liked in his Video Dungeon pages.

In reviewing Argento's Mother of Tears as the final film in The Three Mothers Trilogy, he likened it to -

"Peter Jackson waiting twenty five to make the follow up to The Two Towers then coming up with Hawk The Slayer."
Surely thats unfair on Hawk the slayer!

Mother of Tears and Dracula are utter crap of the first order. I wouldent weep if a fire destroyed every copy and the films were lost to time. I think Argentos Dracula is one of the worst experiences i've had watching a film and I sat through Twighlight. I really wonder what argento is smoking when he watches the dailies and sees the utter shite he's producing. He used to be a film critic for gods sake!

AAANNNNNDDD rant over.
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:52 AM
Cultist

Hobo with a shotgun is such an awesome movie.....

I just love the speech to the babies in the hospital.

troggi and SCM like this.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Mother Of Tears, like a strange fungus has grew on me over past couple of years. I actually find it quite enjoyable, albeit, probably not in the way Argento intended.

Dracula is just shocking
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Mad Max yesterday one of the best films I've seen Gibson in.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!