Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:47 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

hawk.jpg Bullet_to_the_Head_Poster.jpg MV5BOTgyNDM4Mjg0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQxNTEzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Bullet to the Head

A big let down for me so disappointed. Sly was good but not enough to save the film. The Asian cop co star was so bad he just annoyed me through the whole film every scene he had his phone in his hand using it more than his gun or fists or anything else. The ending was so bad it has to be seen to be believed. Stallone dropped the ball big time staring in this.

Hawk the Slayer

So cheesy so cheap so great

VVVVOOOOLLLLTTTTAAAANNNNNNNNN

Die Hard

Just great fun
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 113068 Attachment 113069 Attachment 113070

Bullet to the Head

A big let down for me so disappointed. Sly was good but not enough to save the film. The Asian cop co star was so bad he just annoyed me through the whole film every scene he had his phone in his hand using it more than his gun or fists or anything else. The ending was so bad it has to be seen to be believed. Stallone dropped the ball big time staring in this.

Hawk the Slayer

Die Hard

Just great fun
Love "Hawk the Slayer", it's one my favourite crappy films of all time. Up there with the "Deathstalker" series (especially "Deathstalker III") and "Hell Comes to Frogtown" with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.

All three feature in my "Crap-tastic" Top Twenty!
Nordicdusk and nosferatu42 like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Love "Hawk the Slayer", it's one my favourite crappy films of all time. Up there with the "Deathstalker" series (especially "Deathstalker III") and "Hell Comes to Frogtown" with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.

All three feature in my "Crap-tastic" Top Twenty!
Ah, good old Frogtown. "SHUT YOUR HOOOOOOLE!!!"

Haven't seen any of the 3 sequels. Apparently the last two were made using "Zen" filmmaking, which basically means they made it up as they went. They can only be purchased straight from the directors company too on amazon, so they're about $25 each!
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 22nd June 2013, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

On Thursday me and my mates watched The Goatman Murders; surprisingly thought it was a good film apart from 2 things: 1-that ginger thing and 2-THe fact that you seen the killers face right from the beginning and then try to hide it and make it mysterious even though the director ruined.

Yesterday we watched Wreck It Ralph and A Good Day to Die Hard. Wreck It Ralph was amazing and a lot of fun, excellent animation and voice acting (yes even from Sarah Silverman....) loved spotting all the random game characters (Sonic, M Bison, Zangief etc). A Good Day to Die Hard was good, but just seemed too short as though there was going to be a lot more to the plot that they just couldn't be bothered adding in.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SHUTTER ISLAND - Scorsese's take on identity dislocation played out within the claustrophobic confines of a fifties psych ward. It didn't set me on fire, but I liked it. In fact I'm having difficulty thinking of much to say about it, so I'll move on to...

TEXAS CHAINSAW - ... which did nothing for me whatsoever. You'd think that in these times, when the likes of 'Maniac' and 'Evil Dead' seem to signpost an era of multiplex-friendly brutality, the producers of this item might've pushed the boat out a little to deliver something that at least tried to live up to the original in some way. But no, this follow up is so linear and bland it could've been made in the nineties. The only promise seemed contained within sporadic moments of gore - it's been a long time since I thought of a movie in those terms. Total rubbish.

VIGILANTE - Great exploitation flick from Bill Lustig that rips off 'Death Wish' to superior effect. The theme could be a Daily Mail reader's wet dream - the decent family guy's right to excessive violence when the 'system' lets him down - but there's more to 'Vigilante' than that, and in fact the film has more of a hopeless tone than a righteous or victorious one. It's not entirely resolved in some aspects, but it hurtles along at such a pace that you overlook the holes in its narrative and, if you're like me, choose instead to immerse yourself in the Carpenter -goes - metal soundtrack, the icy, grime-ridden vision of early eighties NYC and commanding performances by the likes of the always brilliant Fred Williamson.

PATRICK STILL LIVES - Early eighties Italian sleaze that has less to do with the original than it does with random nudity and bonkers genitally fixated violence. Well known for its infamous impalement scene, the film is basically a series of exploitation tableaus revolving around comatose Patrick and his extraction of revenge from a bunch of unlikeable guests at a health spa (run by a doctor who does psychic experiments on coma victims... OK). Although a bit languid at first, the film is so cheerfully sordid that it bypasses the boredom threshold and delivers multiple non-PC highs ie. green lit coma sufferers writhing in ecstasy etc.

FEMMINE CARNIVORE - I don't know anything about this weird Spanish flick from the seventies, but I'd say it deserves an audience and a proper release. It's a strange pop-psychedelic meditation on gender roles (erm, maybe... or a feminist satire / satirical attack on feminism? I'm confusing myself now) and plays half art-house, half exploitation movie. It's set in a female only psychiatric clinic where the patients really are in a Society for Cutting Up Men (yes, there are multiple Val Solanas references). It's not very graphic, although there are a couple of HG Lewis butcher shop gore scenes and a page three bra burning celebration (again, the latter leaves me unable to decide which side of the line it's on). But it's filmed in a weird, dislocated way which is really effective and features loads of fish-eye and the kind of "faces in a blurred mirror" effects you see in Franco movies. Really interesting if baffling lost Euro-weirdness.

THE SPY WHO CAME - Yet more mind boggling oddness. This cheap sexploitation flick from the sixties has a vice cop coerced into a plot to... well, I didn't quite get it, but it involved a sheikh, blackmail and seduction via conditioned Pavlovian bimbos. It stars Louis Waldon who was part of the Factory set which is appropriate because everything here is so wooden it could've been set up by Andy himself. But the weird mix of spy yarn pulp, weird sex (with mannequins), mind control experiments and the theme of socio-political power put me more in mind of William Burroughs in a strange way. The film has great music, which lurches from fleapit burlesque to psychedelic musique concrete, and some surprisingly powerful imagery (the crazed sex zombies chasing their dominatrix oppressor through the woods at the end). The final image is of the cop guy scratching his head, which was kind of what I was doing throughout the movie (in a good way).
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Mercenaries from Hong Kong (1982)

Yeah baby,this Wong Jing film (his second directing credit) delivers!

"Modern day all-star feature headed by Ti Lung as a mercenary hired by a respectable lady to bring back a criminal from a guerrilla camp in Cambodia. He heads a team comprising of Chan Wai-Man, Johnny Wang, Chan Pak-Cheung and “Dirty Ho” himself, Wong-Yu."

This one has loads of explosive early 80's HK action,violence and blood,and is a delight to watch if you're into action films,recommended!

At times it reminded me of The A-team (1983-1987),coincidence?

Btw the newly cut trailer really shows nearly nothing of the awesomeness of this film.

Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.

Last edited by bdc; 22nd June 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 113068 Attachment 113069 Attachment 113070

Hawk the Slayer

I recently went back over some old Empire magazines to see what Kim Newman liked in his Video Dungeon pages.

In reviewing Argento's Mother of Tears as the final film in The Three Mothers Trilogy, he likened it to -

"Peter Jackson waiting twenty five to make the follow up to The Two Towers then coming up with Hawk The Slayer."
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
VIGILANTE - Great exploitation flick from Bill Lustig that rips off 'Death Wish' to superior effect. The theme could be a Daily Mail reader's wet dream - the decent family guy's right to excessive violence when the 'system' lets him down - but there's more to 'Vigilante' than that, and in fact the film has more of a hopeless tone than a righteous or victorious one. It's not entirely resolved in some aspects, but it hurtles along at such a pace that you overlook the holes in its narrative and, if you're like me, choose instead to immerse yourself in the Carpenter -goes - metal soundtrack, the icy, grime-ridden vision of early eighties NYC and commanding performances by the likes of the always brilliant Fred Williamson.
...and Woody Strode still kicking ass at 70 years of age . . .
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
VIGILANTE - Great exploitation flick from Bill Lustig that rips off 'Death Wish' to superior effect.
To superior effect? Really? I mean I like it and the BD's a beauty but better than Death Wish?? Winner and Bronson would turn in their graves, rest their souls
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
To superior effect? Really? I mean I like it and the BD's a beauty but better than Death Wish?? Winner and Bronson would turn in their graves, rest their souls
I personally like 'Vigilante' more than 'Death Wish', but concur that it's probably not a better movie 'objectively speaking' (whatever that means).
Zann and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!