Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Second film of the day: The Public Enemy or the film in which James Cagney shoves a grapefruit in Joan Blondell's face... This is one of the great Warner gangster films, perhaps the archetypal Warner gangster film with Cagney playing one of Cinema's earliest psychopaths, a tough punk who grows up fast on the mean streets of Chicago to become a major racketeer during the Prohibition era. Made in 1931, just slipping out before the studios became ringfenced by the Production Code, The Public Enemy still impresses with its violence, and Cagney puts the booth in with considerable relish. Directed with style and a palpable sense of realism by William Wellman, the finale in which Cagney performs a hit on a rival boss during a driving rainstorm has rarely been bettered. Highly recommended.

Great movie! Love that scene in the image. If I remember correctly she didnt know Cagney was going to do that. The look on her face is classic!
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Oldboy - Wow, what an amazing movie. Well made, using an almost un believable concept (I still struggle with the idea of someone being locked up for 15 years), and great acting an actors, the plot twist reminded on Obsession a lot, and

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD

by the end, Im not sure if it was just me, but I became more sympathetic for Mr Park, as even though incest is a horrible creepy thing, his life was absolutely ruined by Oh Dea-su's rumors, to the point where he killed his sister. Even though he's a psychopath, in the end, it's not Oh Dea-su getting his vengence for being locked up, is Mr Park getting his vengence against Oh Dea-su, and in the end, essentially he wins. I still found the begging at the end a tad ridiculous, including the cutting of the tongue.

Overall, an amazing movie, and I'm currently watching Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, and I think I'll get the Canadian blu ray trilogy, as it has all the special features, is only about $31, has the best audio avalible for Oldboy and both versions of Lady Vengeance.

Boondocks Saints- Looking at Rotten Tomatoes gives you all you need to know about this movie. 17% with Critics, 93% with users, and 7.8 on IMDB. Stupid violent fun, with an enjoyable cast and Dialouge, being very ridiculous, but still a hell of a lot of fun. Wasn't quite sure about the cat bit though. Nice seeing Norman Reedus after seeing him so much in Walking Dead.
sawyer6 and Nordicdusk like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 4th December 2012, 11:52 AM
Cult Master

This morning, I went from the sublime:

Cinema Paradiso - Directors Cut

Everything I hate about a film. It's an Oscar winning romance, lasting almost 3 hours, and in Bongo-Bongo language, BUT...it's a very good film, and I will hate this viewing forever, because I will never have the pleasure of watching this film for the first time again

to the ridiculous:

The Black Cat, by Fulci. Boring, and with a 'cor Blimey, Dick Van Dyke-type Mary Pappins copper in it!
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th December 2012, 01:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sacrifice usual film about drugs,
Thought the film was slow dull boring, and some of the lesser actors where rubbish, As for Christian slater as a priest he really just didn't suit the part at all, hes a great actor but his roll was terrible and really unconvincing as a priest,
Old 4th December 2012, 02:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
and in Bongo-Bongo language
Really? Is it OK to say things like that again then?
Old 4th December 2012, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I don't know the term.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:10 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I didn't know The Woman was a sequel. I have it but never watched it as of yet. I did think Pollyanna Mcintosh in Offspring looked like she does on the cover of The Woman though.
You really don't have to see 'Offspring' to appreciate 'The Woman' as it's an independent story. 'The Woman' being a survivor from a bunch of cannibals that attack a family in the previous film.

I personally thought 'Offspring' was crap. And the cannibals looked like rejects from Stig of the Dump and just as silly (and a bit like a TV movie in its look, style and sanitized violence). 'The Woman', however, was excellent, but then Lucky McKee is a great director.

As for the books, there's a prequel to Offspring which they had plans to make at one point, called 'Off Season'. I've read all three of the Jack Ketchum cannibal books and 'Off Season' is my favourite. He's an amazing author. I also recommend 'Red' (the film is ok, the book much better) and the book of 'The Girl Next Door' (the film is not bad, but not a patch on the novel). 'The Lost' was quite a good adaptation IMO and a great book.
PaulD and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Checked out the final film from my Universal Monsters Coffin set today-The Wolfman, another stunning looking film like the rest in the set and obviously an extremely enjoyable film to boot.
While I was watching it I got a knock on the door from Mr Postman carrying my ZFE steelbook in a box far too big for one item! So after I watched Lon Chaney and a young looking Randolph Duke, I popped in what will now be the last time I ever need to buy this film in HD because Arrows release completely blows the BU one clean outta the water! The picture looks magnificent and I found myself noticing stuff I hadn't seen during one of my many watches of this film over the last 20 odd years, that's not to say that the BU edition isn't good, because it certainly is, this is just better.
I haven't checked out all the extras yet, but the ones I have watched (the Romero to Rome doc, the De Rossi doc and the Q & A from Glasgow) are all excellent, I especially loved the De Rossi doc.
Highly recommended 5/5
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th December 2012, 05:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.
It depends,what did she mean?

Like this? Share it using the links below!