Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2013, 12:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
That's what I use my Urban Explorers blu ray for
Yes there is a few films that using them as coasters etc and other things is all they are worth.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yes there is a few films that using them as coasters etc and other things is all they are worth.
Remember the days when AOL sent you coasters for free? That was good service!
Old 24th May 2013, 04:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and The Evil Dead (1982) on Blu-ray.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 24th May 2013, 04:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
4 really annoyed me with the finale through the tunnels, far too much CGI, i actually quite like 2 Fast 2 Furious, but Tokyo Drift has become my favourite.
I really like Tokyo Drift.
Old 24th May 2013, 06:17 PM
Ex-member

Watched an unusual double bill last night
Creep (2004) - Seen it loads of times, one of my favourite modern british horrors, quite a creepy film.
Then watched
That's What I Am - Comedy/Drama i only watched this with it being a WWE film and featuring Randy Orton (In about 2 scenes) but realy enjoyed it a heartwarming film.
Old 24th May 2013, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Michael - Markus Schleinzer worked under Michael Haneke, and the latter's influence is obvious. Very uncomfortable viewing, although, like 'Happiness', it does contain moments of nervous humour. I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right word, but it was a very well made, powerful film.

U Turn - Oliver Stone's neo-noir romp has a fantastic cast. Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Powers Booth and Billy Bob Thornton all show up as well as a sultry Jennifer Lopez. It's a very slight film considering it's director, but enjoyable enough all the same.

Not Quite Hollywood - I love this documentary, it basically covers 'Ozploitation' from it's inception (bawdy sex comedies akin to Russ Meyer) to Wolf Creek. Along the way there are plethora of interviews with directors, producers, stars and critics, as a result it's very even-handed with everyone putting there point across well. Everyone's favourite Uber-geek, Tarantino, pops up and typically loves everything. Great film, which leads me on to...

Turkey Shoot - This is only briefly covered in the above and not in a flattering light. In fact, Not Quite Hollywood's director calls it an awful film in the extras, he goes on to say that some may find it entertaining in a 'so bad, it's good' way. I find it entertaining in a 'so great, it's a blast' kind of way. It's just ridiculously entertaining, just a gloriously over the top B-movie. Great fun.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Caught Society on the big screen last night, with director Brian Yuzna in attendance. This was the 'world debut' of the new HD master, which arrived from Germany that very morning, so even Yuzna hadn't seen it before - needless to say it looks magnificent and Yuzna was thrilled. I hadn't seen it for a couple of decades either, so this was a great way to revisit it.

Telling of a Californian rich kid who starts to suspect something is very off with his wealthy family and their peers, Society delves into the artifice behind Beverly Hills living, stripping away the gloss and decadence to reveal something quite literally slimy underneath. So, is there some kind of political commentary in there? Nah.. (according to Yuzna, when asked the question) - it's just a genre film with an idea. But what an idea; the finale alone being an unforgettable orgy of entwined, goo-laden prosthetic special effects. Extraordinary.

Some tidbits from the Q&A:

- Society 2 is still intended to happen with a rough working title of Society Bitches. The script is being written, and examines what goes on behind the V.I.P curtains and restricted areas of those exclusive, elite nightclubs.

- All being well with Society 2, he still intends to work primarily with prosthetic effects, using subtle CGI to make the effects more seamless.

- Re-animator sequel indefinitely on hold due to funding issues.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Caught Society on the big screen last night, with director Brian Yuzna in attendance. This was the 'world debut' of the new HD master, which arrived from Germany that very morning, so even Yuzna hadn't seen it before - needless to say it looks magnificent and Yuzna was thrilled. I hadn't seen it for a couple of decades either, so this was a great way to revisit it.

Telling of a Californian rich kid who starts to suspect something is very off with his wealthy family and their peers, Society delves into the artifice behind Beverly Hills living, stripping away the gloss and decadence to reveal something quite literally slimy underneath. So, is there some kind of political commentary in there? Nah.. (according to Yuzna, when asked the question) - it's just a genre film with an idea. But what an idea; the finale alone being an unforgettable orgy of entwined, goo-laden prosthetic special effects. Extraordinary.

Some tidbits from the Q&A:

- Society 2 is still intended to happen with a rough working title of Society Bitches. The script is being written, and examines what goes on behind the V.I.P curtains and restricted areas of those exclusive, elite nightclubs.

- All being well with Society 2, he still intends to work primarily with prosthetic effects, using subtle CGI to make the effects more seamless.

- Re-animator sequel indefinitely on hold due to funding issues.
Loved "Society", possibly the best film from Yuzna imo.

Monster Magnet
Old 24th May 2013, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm also massive fan of Society – it's been ages since I saw it though – and you're right about the SFX make-up or 'the shunting' – Screaming Mad George is a genius.

Interesting to hear about the sequel and it's great news to hear it will keep the 'rubber and Vaseline' effects from the original.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:01 PM
Cult Addict

Society is a classic.

Like this? Share it using the links below!