Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2013, 08:21 PM
Active Cultist

Another fan of society here and certainly yuzna's best film. Roll on the blu ray.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 24th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

I liked it, but I'm not sure there's much milage there for a sequel. Thought the idea only just about managed not to outstay its welcome in the original . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Society is a classic.
It's a fun film for sure.I've got the Tartan DVD which I haven't watched in ages.I'll probably give it another spin before I fork out for the Blu-ray, which is coming from, I think, Second Sight?
Old 24th May 2013, 09:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Devil's Men

Thought the early scenes showed promise, but it quickly descended into sloppily directed hokum. Sad to see Peter Cushing wasted on this tosh, but even here he gives an admirably committed performance. Less could be said about Donald Pleasence, who clearly couldn't give a toss. Speaking with a dodgy broad Irish accent for the opening scenes, he all but gives it up for the rest of the film! As well as that, the 'hero', distractingly a Father Ted lookalike, was a thoroughly unlikable bastard! Not good . . .
Old 24th May 2013, 10:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Last House on the Beach

Was mainly interested to see something directed by Franco Prosperi that wasn't Mondo. Not bad, Ray Lovelock was pretty good in it and the soundtrack is pretty cool.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:53 PM
Cult Addict

Just finished watching Enzo G. Castellari's The Big Racket, really enjoyed it. Got Django Unchained for tomorrow.
Zann likes this.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:42 AM
Ex-member

Just watched another unusual double bill
The Descent
Behind Enemy Lines
Old 25th May 2013, 04:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Haven't posted reviews in god knows how long, but lets see what I can remember from what I've seen

The Godfather - Absolute classic. Nothing more to say. Well, maybe that it was nice to see Joe Spinell at the end.

Drive (or Awkward Silence: The Movie) - A brutal, beautiful film, with a great score, and great driving scenes, well, the two there were.

Trainspotting - Fantastic soundtrack, performances, a hard hitting, yet funny film. A much more light hearted look at the downside of heroin then the next film I watched.

Requiem For A Dream - Wow, I severely underestimated the power of this film. I read a lot about people being distrubed by it, and thought it wouldn't be too bad. My god it was crushing, yet so fantastic. Amazingly made, with a modern classic score. Afronosky gets it right (as usual )

House Of 1000 Corpses - Best 70's film not from the 70's since Black Dynamite! Fantastic film, very well shot, with great characters and cast. Best modern horror I've seen in a while.

The Devil's Rejects - Aaaand it's gone. What the hell happened here. The exciting visuals of the first movie are gone to the blandest locations I've ever seen. Pointless and annoying torture and terrorizing. And those freeze shots kept getting annoying. The police character was an absolute joke, and that Groucho Marx scene was so bad it had me in hysterics. An absolute mess, but the final scene was great.

Iron Man 3 - Great fun and fantastic writing SPOILER Not too happy with what they did to The Mandarin, though Ben Kingsly made it work perfectly. Though the end with Pepper jumped the shark.

Identity - Great little thriller with nice characters and a great setting. The first few plot twists were fantastic, but the end is a dump.

The Game - David Fincher does a beautiful fantasticly shot thriller with Micheal Douglas doing a superb job with his character.

Fear And Desire - Kubricks first. Can absolutely understand why he wanted it gone, as it's very amateurish, and the writing is down right hilarious at times. Very interesting though if you imagine it as a bunch of Vets on a camping trip who get lost and think they're back in the war.

The Killers Kiss - Cool little Kubrick Noir, with a great ending chase.

A Clockwork Orange - An absolute masterpiece of every kind. Was not disappointed at all. The first 30 minutes of non stop "ultra violence" must have been shocking at the time. Ends up like a revenge film almost, with him reencountring everyone he terrorized, but then it gets reversed. Malcolm McDowell does an amazing job at Alex.

Full Metal Jacket - R Lee Ermey makes this movie with his terrorising Drill Sergant. Would say amazing writing, except most was improvised! Great film, great soundtrack, great Vietnam war movie. Love the fact that Kubrick did two of my favorite subgenre - Vietnam movie, and Ghost Story.

Spartacus - Saw this at a local cinema in 2K. Theatre owner came out an apologized before the movie started, for what he said was the single worst transfer he'd ever seen. Said it was a disaster, all detail was gone, it was a hazy mess, plagued with DNR, EE and more. And he was right. Ugliest damn thing ive ever seen. Good movie though, if a bit of a downer, and a bit camp at times.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - If Disney did Indiana Jones. Fantastic, enjoyable movie. Great writing, and nice use of Mike Mignola's art style.

Kill Bill Vol 1 - My god it's been cobbled together from everything I love. A fantastic violent revenge movie, that is also like a Japanese samurai type movie, very similar to Lady Snowblood. Almost the perfect action movie IMO.

Deadly Blessing - Wes Craven is fantastic at doing terror and tension from what I've seen. Nightmare on Elm Street is a classic, and Hills Have Eyes was so goddamn creepy, I didn't even get up to the trailer raid!

Whew, that's all I can remember. There were probably more. Also recently noticed that I cracked the 100 mark for the IMDB top 250. Going to try see the other 150 before I turn 18

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th May 2013, 05:07 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
The Last House on the Beach

Was mainly interested to see something directed by Franco Prosperi that wasn't Mondo. Not bad, Ray Lovelock was pretty good in it and the soundtrack is pretty cool.
I think its pretty good as well. The only thing that bothered me was the slow motion rape scene

Like this? Share it using the links below!