All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2013, 12:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Dam Busters (1955)

The flypast of the Lancaster bomber at Derwent reservoir yesterday, to mark the seventieth anniversary of the famous Second World War raid on German dams immediately brought the big screen version of events to mind as yesterdays "Must watch film".

The Dam Busters still stands up as a classic WW2 film fifty eight years on. From the stirring theme, The Dam Busters March, to the still excellent cinematography of the low flying raids themselves, The Dam Busters has it all and retains its power to thrill.

Although it clocks in at two hours, and the first hour and a half being mainly talking, the film fairly zips along and is never boring. This first part of the film is based around Barnes Wallis and his idea of the bouncing bomb, followed by his battles with authority figures to get the go ahead and construct them. Michael Redgrave, as Wallis always holds the viewers attention despite playing the role in a fairly restrained manner.

Around the half hour mark we meet Guy Gibson, Wing Commander and all round RAF hero, played with a typical British stiff upper lip by Richard Todd. Todd, who in real life was one of the first British officers to land in Normandy, at Pegasus Bridge during Operation Overlord is just made for these roles and clearly understands the part.

When the mission begins the film suddenly becomes an action packed thrill ride, with classic dialogue between the Lancaster crews and quite jaw dropping aerial photography for the time. The lack of the use of stock footage is a real breath of fresh air. Director Michael Anderson puts the viewer in the Lancaster bombers cockpit as we witness the barrage of anti aircraft fire all around. The end result is impressive today so must have been a real wow to audiences in the mid fifties.

The Dam Busters, a classic of British WW2 cinema, nay, a classic of British cinema full stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DamBustersPoster.jpg (90.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th May 2013, 12:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I watched Swimfan which is a teenage remake of Fatal Attraction. I did enjoy it as the girl turned into a right nutjob. For the 12 BBFC rating there was a lot of violence in it.
Yes I've always said that its a remake of fatal attraction and not a bad film either.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched Arrow's ZFE Blu-ray this morning.What can I say, it looks superb! The zombie gut-munching feast, the splinter-skewered eyeball, and the throat-ripping, worm-eyed zombie look glorious in HD.
Old 17th May 2013, 05:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I love Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion FX; as for the live actors in the films, I can take them or leave them.Mind you, Torin Thatcher and Tom Baker are great in The 7th Voyage and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.
I am Ray Harryhausen's biggest fan (apart from all the dweebs who're bigger fans than me) and I totally agree about the actors. BUT (never start a sentence with but except for dramatic effect) Tom baker and Patrick Troughton are exceptions which prove the rule (and both Doctor Who of course). All the ladies seem to be there for A) eye candy, B) a plot mechanism, C) to scream a lot and be "in distress, or D) to be a baddie!

Stop motion is the star and this has been proved by the lack of popularity of the Sky T.V. series of Sinbad with CGI effects.

Am I wrong?

Monster Magnet
Old 17th May 2013, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I am Ray Harryhausen's biggest fan (apart from all the dweebs who're bigger fans than me) and I totally agree about the actors. BUT (never start a sentence with but except for dramatic effect) Tom baker and Patrick Troughton are exceptions which prove the rule (and both Doctor Who of course). All the ladies seem to be there for A) eye candy, B) a plot mechanism, C) to scream a lot and be "in distress, or D) to be a baddie!

Stop motion is the star and this has been proved by the lack of popularity of the Sky T.V. series of Sinbad with CGI effects.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, the monsters were definitely the stars of ALL Ray Harryhausen's films.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1937:

The Life of Emile Zola Enjoyable biopic
Way Out West Love this movie! From beginning to end a laugh a minute!
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Brings back a few memories of my Mum taking me and my sis to see this in the 70's. Building still there but its a mormon church now (Northenden, Manchester)
Looney Tunes: Porky's Duck Hunt An interesting first

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post342269
Old 17th May 2013, 09:26 PM
Cultist

A Cat in the Brain (Uncut) (1990)
Old 17th May 2013, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dinner at Eight (1933)

Based on a Broadway play from the previous year, Dinner at Eight is an all star comedy of manners played out by an all star cast including John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Jean Harlow and Billie Burke.

During the opening act i really wasn't sure i was going to get anything out of the film, its sometimes stagy manner seemed to hamper it. However as you begin to glimpse a small fraction of the lives of the dinner guests in the hours leading up to the dinner party the film begins to get more involving.

The acting is on the whole excellent, its a shame Lionel Barrymore isn't in it more, the same goes for Harlow, as some of the soon to be guests seem more interesting than others. However each has a story to tell as more characterization comes to the fore. As the film nears the climactic dinner party the viewer easily realizes that high society and wealth are no sure means of happiness and the protagonists of this film are no different to those in todays soap operas.

After a slow start Dinner at Eight had me desperate to know how situations would play out, and i would recommend it to all who enjoy films from the golden age of Hollywood.

The film is one of four in the TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Jean Harlow set on region one Warner dvd which looks in excellent shape for a film of this vintage and has a clear crisp soundtrack. I look forward to seeing the other three films in the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399px-Dinner_at_Eight_cph.3b52734.jpg (90.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 91DPu4Wh43L._SL1500_.jpg (92.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th May 2013, 10:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"New Police story"

Jacky can't act drunk, he was a more convincing drunkard in "Drunken Master". As for the rest of the movie...TOP NOTCH! You can call me a gay cowboy's spur wheel if you want but I love Jacky Chan and all his films, yes... even "Gorgeous"

"New Police Story" 12/10 for... for... er...Jacky Chan, and if anyone wants to argue about it i'll.... er...I'll cry!

Monster Magnet
Old 17th May 2013, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

"New Police story"

Jacky can't act drunk, he was a more convincing drunkard in "Drunken Master". As for the rest of the movie...TOP NOTCH! You can call me a gay cowboy's spur wheel if you want but I love [COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Jacky[/COLOR] Chan and all his films, yes... even "Gorgeous"

"New Police Story" 12/10 for... for... er...[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Jacky[/COLOR] Chan, and if anyone wants to argue about it i'll.... er...I'll cry!

Please tell us this misspelling is a stab at humour.
sjconstable likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!