Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2013, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Wars episode one the phantom menace

Ok movie, but suffers like most of Lucas stuff from childish writing and dialogue and awful casting. The end light sabre battle is still great, but the pod racer is still over long and boring. At least on the blu ray they have replaced the puppet yoda with a CGI version. jar jar binks their should be a special place in hell for lucas inflicting this upon the world. Has its flaws but still a fun movie. 6.5/10

Wes cravers a new nightmare

Really enjoyed this. Especially after the dire 5th and 6th movies. Totally separate from the other films but for me the most disturbing and terrifying since the first movie. 9/10

The man who cheated death
Never seen this hammer before so didn't know what to expect, but found a effective horror with a interesting story and good cast which I'm happy to have in my collection 7/10

Deep rising

I know this got panned by critics, but I really enjoyed a fun monster movie with some great gore, CGI effects aren't that great by today's standards but they still do there job, we have a good cast Treat Williams who comes of as Han Solo on a boat and the always lovely Famke Janssen. Shame it did poorly and we never saw a sequel 7.5/10
troggi likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th July 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
My only connection with Jeunet as a director while on this topic is simple. Amelie was quaint and pleasant but to me felt too slight to leave much of an impression. To me as I've said many times here I still think Alien Resurrection is just plain awful; I've had no urge or interest to watch any of his other films regardless of their critical praise.
That's a shame, you missed his work with Marc Caro, which is much better in my opinion . . .
Old 14th July 2013, 07:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Deep rising

I know this got panned by critics, but I really enjoyed a fun monster movie with some great gore, CGI effects aren't that great by today's standards but they still do there job, we have a good cast Treat Williams who comes of as Han Solo on a boat and the always lovely Famke Janssen. Shame it did poorly that we didn't get a sequel 7.5/10
I had this on VHS and played it to death Reckon Stephen Sommers is unlikely to make another film as fun as this . . .
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:52 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
That's a shame, you missed his work with Marc Caro, which is much better in my opinion . . .
Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, but as a collector I already have way too much on my unwatched pile that peaks my interest more. XD
troggi likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 14th July 2013, 07:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
My review was probably a bit harsh, not terrible but just average at best, suppose that's because I was really looking forward to it and wasn't going to live up to my expectations , but definitely a down turn in del toros work. Also was a group of people in front of me who wouldn't shut up all the way threw the movie so that also ruined the experience as well
My review wasn't harsh. I hated it and that's all there is to it.
troggi likes this.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Finished the evening with a return to Kevin Smith's work,this time Dogma. Dogma is one of those films that I love when I am watching it - it has some brilliant one liners and is littered with homages to other films - but thinking about it afterwards I still find otto be a let down after Chasing Amy. The message is too heavy. Next up Jay and Bob Strike Back and then (if I can pick it up while in Canada) Jersey Girl (currently the only Smith film I don't have on blu).
troggi likes this.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)

The interaction between Nicholson and Lange is sizzling hot. Real shagging? Definitely. John Colicos and Michael Lerner are excellently cast in their respective roles. As for the ending...I'm still gutted. Sympathy for sex-driven murderers? Just strike me pink!

Look out for Anjelica Huston in a small role. Compelling.

A brilliant film.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 15th July 2013, 06:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Black Sabbath & Baron Blood

Wonderful looking BDs, Baron Blood especially...pity about the Coke machine in the old Viennese castle.
Old 15th July 2013, 07:40 AM
Cult Addict

I seem to be at an ends with Pete here. As I found Now you See Me enjoyable fluff if a bit deflating, This is the End utter shite and one of the few films I've recently walked out on, and Pacific Rim to be utterly thrilling and pandering to my inner child. Diversity here folks.
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 15th July 2013, 08:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't really been watching much at all recently.
Revisited THE ISLAND OF DEATH and found it to have lost none of its sleazy charm. Made the mistake of trying to fathom its moral compass whilst completely drunk - things didn't work out well. Outside of the catalogue of sordid goings on it offers, the ending with the shepherd is just mad. What does it all mean? "Grab the sword, kill them all!" etc etc - wonderful soundtrack.

COSMOPOLIS I thought was great, the nearest thing to 'old style' Cronenberg I've seen in a while. I realise that most will violently shake their heads at that one, but it seemed pretty true to the essence of what he often says albeit in a non-FX context and pitched to the point of abstraction. Fragmented, dreamy atmosphere and I was never bored once - something about all that cryptic (or uber pretentious?) dialogue kept me riveted, somehow.

TRANCERS seemed like highly agreeable rubbish and tallied well with my eighties fetish. In this case, the 'eightiesness' was all about Christmas in LA in 1985, something which seems sufficiently exotic and weird enough to appeal to my provincial mentality. Obvious elements like the whole time slip thing and the sci-fi noir aspect might have been imported from other sources, but it felt somehow like it staked out its own territory and rose above the perils of genre derivation. Actually, to skip back to my opening line, I did say 'rubbish' didn't I... whereas in fact this is competently made, well paced and self aware, with a few knowing winks tossed out to the audience. I don't know what the rest of them are like, I know there were quite a few sequels.

Like this? Share it using the links below!