Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2013, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Gravity (2013) - 3/5

Immersive 3D but is completely lacking in substance, I can't believe so many people are hailing it as a masterpiece when all it consists of is one overblown disaster after another and Sandra Bullock talking to the audience and acting unrealistically. Very disappointed with this, my rating is quite generous considering my lack of enjoyment because I try to be objective as well as subjective, and listen here - the much-hated Man of Steel is a better film than Gravity, regardless of my personal enjoyment.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris (1972) are genuine masterpieces of sci-fi, Gravity is just a well-made but empty 3D popcorn thrill-ride (which didn't thrill me all that much unfortunately).
Totally agree on gravity apart from fantastic effects and 3d and set pieces it was average at best.
sjconstable and troggi like this.
Old 21st November 2013, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When a stranger calls (1979)

Has to have one of the most frighting beginnings of any film, truly chilling and disturbing, which was used many years later in scream, the end of the movie is also good as well shame it is brought down by a dull and boring middle. Could of been so much more. 7/10 easily a ten if the middle had been better

The godsend
Yawn poor evil child tail, terrible acting and totally unconvincing evil child. 4/10

Robinson Crusoe on mars

Interesting and enjoyable take On the classic story and hell of lot more interesting than Tom hanks talking to a basketball. Ok it's wildly scientifically inaccurate . But it's fun with some great fly saucers stolen from war of the worlds. We also have a small role for Adam west. But the real highlight is Mona a cute little monkey who who steals every scene she's in in, she even has a cute little space suit. A wonderful film which was my first viewing but will have many more 9.5/10

It might be a bit early but watching one of the funniest and best Xmas films Christmas vacation
Old 21st November 2013, 08:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
When a stranger calls (1979)

Has to have one of the most frighting beginnings of any film, truly chilling and disturbing, which was used many years later in scream, the end of the movie is also good as well shame it is brought down by a dull and boring middle. Could of been so much more. 7/10 easily a ten if the middle had been better

The godsend
Yawn poor evil child tail, terrible acting and totally unconvincing evil child. 4/10

Robinson Crusoe on mars

Interesting and enjoyable take On the classic story and hell of lot more interesting than Tom hanks taking to a basketball. Ok it's wildly scientifically inaccurate . But it's fun with some great fly saucers stolen from war of the worlds. We also have a small role for Adam west. But the real highlight is Mona a cute little monkey who who steals every scene she's in in, she even has a cute little space suit. A wonderful film which was my first viewing but will have many more 9.5/10

It might be a bit early but watching one of the funniest and best Xmas films Christmas vacation
Always loved "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" and the sleeve art on that copy is sensational.
trebor8273 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 21st November 2013, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Ha ha yeah I got the BD collection too but am saving this treat until it's a bit nipply out
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:12 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan (1982)

This is my first viewing of any of the very original Star Trek films. While it has not converted me into a Trekkie it's a solidly made science fiction film and I can appreciate why this is one from the cannon is held in high regard.

Just scrapes a 8/10.
My favourite Star Trek film is still The Motion Picture since I was around 6. I'm very alone.
bdc and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 21st November 2013, 09:15 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Gravity (2013) - 3/5

Immersive 3D but is completely lacking in substance, I can't believe so many people are hailing it as a masterpiece when all it consists of is one overblown disaster after another and Sandra Bullock talking to the audience and acting unrealistically. Very disappointed with this, my rating is quite generous considering my lack of enjoyment because I try to be objective as well as subjective, and listen here - the much-hated Man of Steel is a better film than Gravity, regardless of my personal enjoyment.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris (1972) are genuine masterpieces of sci-fi, Gravity is just a well-made but empty 3D popcorn thrill-ride (which didn't thrill me all that much unfortunately).
I will admit to really enjoying Gravity especially on a visual level and as a refreshingly simple thriller. Saying that, it's very much a 'ride' film; I myself would not call it either a 'masterpiece' or shower it with the 5 star praise that others have. Although I think it's a better film from this year than the decent if for me puzzlingly over praised Captain Phillips.
troggi likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 21st November 2013, 10:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I will admit to really enjoying Gravity especially on a visual level and as a refreshingly simple thriller. Saying that, it's very much a 'ride' film; I myself would not call it either a 'masterpiece' or shower it with the 5 star praise that others have. Although I think it's a better film from this year than the decent if for me puzzlingly over praised Captain Phillips.
Yeah I agree with you, and if I'd known going into it that it was just a ride I might have been able to enjoy it a bit more. I can't comment on Captain Phillips though as I didn't fancy it.
troggi likes this.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Island of Death

By the way, I have the Allstar Pictures DVD from 2002 and remember getting it from a dedicated website at the time....has anyone compared it to the Arrow DVD in terms of PQ? I ask purely out of curiosity, not double dipping
The Arrow dvd looks gorgeous.
troggi likes this.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Ha ha yeah I got the BD collection too but am saving this treat until it's a bit nipply out
I am really looking forward to it being "nipply" out!
Refused and Zann like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 21st November 2013, 11:29 PM
Cultist

Michael (Markus Schleinzer 2011)
A man keeps a young boy locked in his basement. That sounds like a horror film, but it is not. It has a naturalistic atmosphere and great character development, the man is someone that could be your neighbour. My first impression was Haneke (the director) meets Misery (the film). The ending is superb. Recommend if you like slow films with a disturbing undertone.

Like this? Share it using the links below!