All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179852Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2015, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I agree Ed Wood is his best performance...
Cough Black Mass

Lawdy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2015, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Lawdy, I've no idea, as I haven't been keeping a proper list, though I do write down every film I watch. So far I think i've perused...

The Visitor
The Dark
The Day Time Ended (TVM)
Up from The Depths
The Humanoid
Stalker
Alien
The Black Hole
Malabimba the Malicious Whore
Love At First Bite
Wise Blood
A Sense Of Freedom (TVM)
Moonraker
The Warriors
Apocalypse Now

Inspired by The Visitor, I just kept coming up against rather odd films from this year. Am looking forward to tracking down Bollywood, Turkish stuff etc
The Visitor can certainly do funny things to a person...

There are a few films you've listed there that I haven't seen.

If you're after some inspiration I have this list handy... 1979: Ranked

[I feel the need to add a disclaimer in regards to Apocalypse Now as whilst I know it's very highly regarded by most people I just don't care for it much]
MacBlayne, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 7th December 2015, 02:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Handy list, though I have seen most of them. Am trying to be fair etc, and watch them irregardless of reputation...hence Moonraker haha.Wish me luck!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2015, 02:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Handy list, though I have seen most of them. Am trying to be fair etc, and watch them irregardless of reputation...hence Moonraker haha.Wish me luck!!
Yes, good luck in your quest indeed.

Looking forward to hearing about your exploits through the wild and wacky year of '79.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 7th December 2015, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
No, I was 11 in 1979. And apart from the fact that they would have been filming The Empire Strikes Back then, I really don't know why I've chosen this year ahem.
I was born in '77 which is a good year in UK history and I've often thought about having a project such as watch all the films from 1977 - or at least as many as I could watch. The late 70's are a goldmine of great films but I'm sure there are plenty of films which aren't as good... 'Confessions of a...' spring to mind haha
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th December 2015, 02:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
[I feel the need to add a disclaimer in regards to Apocalypse Now as whilst I know it's very highly regarded by most people I just don't care for it much]
Booo I adore that film but I must admit I didn't enjoy it the first time I saw it.

Old 7th December 2015, 02:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Booo I adore that film but I must admit I didn't enjoy it the first time I saw it.
I think I've stated my grumbles on here before somewhere in regards to Apocalypse Now (probably in the Classic Films You Love To Hate thread) but it basically boils down to an over-enthusiastic 'friend' who was obsessed with the film and made a group of us watch it and the 'Redux' version back to back one fateful Saturday afternoon.
Old 7th December 2015, 02:24 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think I've stated my grumbles on here before somewhere in regards to Apocalypse Now (probably in the Classic Films You Love To Hate thread) but it basically boils down to an over-enthusiastic 'friend' who was obsessed with the film and made a group of us watch it and the 'Redux' version back to back one fateful Saturday afternoon.
I have a built in defense mechanism about such things and automatically shut down, I hate things being pushed upon me I like to discover things on my own I had a similar experience with some music acts recently!

Old 7th December 2015, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
As part of my quest to see every film made in 1979, I've had to wade through a few stinkers.
What just one year! Man it up at least do the entire seventies!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 7th December 2015, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict

Bridge of spies

So on Saturday I decide to go for a quick jaunt to Lancaster. Cue large scale flooding I discover I'm trapped. I make my way to morecambe where I can actually get an affordable hotel and after booking myself in decide to go see this. Well it was pretty good, what you would call a slow burner with a terrific script and some of Spielbergs best direction. However 10:30, right before the films ending the power fails.. and does not come back. Things started going a little crazy in the Hurricane that's outside so I head back to my hotel and huddle in the dark with sounds of chaos outside. Fellow guests decide to go on a rampage at this point looking for candles. The next morning the power is still off, nothings open. Needing food I walk the 3 1/4 miles into Lancaster to discover the same problems. I score a carrier bag full of pork scratchings, crisps, diet coke and head up through the chaos to the train station. Mobile phone signals are weak to non existent. I get to the train station and discover... no trains, Cumbria is underwater so no chance of getting home today. Ah well, I head back into Lancaster and hit up a Salvation Army truck for Hotdogs. I then head up to the Cathedral at the top of the hill, about the only place that has mobile signals and get through to my mum. with a little cunning I have her book a hotel online and have the confirmation sent to my phone. When the hotel staff are hesitant to let me in I thrust the text in their face and say 'booked!' Room sorted I head back into the city. I discover a chemists open that lets me buy some vitamin supplements, a polish shop where I buy some sausage and cheese and locate a bar thats still operating. I spend the best part of the day in the beer garden having an impromptu picnic. The bar runs out of beer and night falls, still no power. More shady folk in the city and no lights so I head back to the hotel and hide out until morning. Managed to get home this morning. Still want to know what the hell happened at the end of the film. Tonight I shall watch Eli Roths Knock knock and will probably hate it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!