Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2015, 01:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I always feel uncomfortable with the Old Testament attitude of revenge flicks. It's more about being manipulated than anything else - as you said of yourself, my adrenalin was also zinging when I saw this one. I guess we can all make decisions about how far we let a film affect us, though.
The other, creepy aspect of WSKTOW - well, that's partly down to me wearing my social worker hat, but I also thought that it made it more interesting in a twisted kind of way.
The thing i found with WSKTOW was that it was really well made and scripted.

Yes it really is at face value a revenge flick of which there are hundreds about, yet this was a cut above similar films, say Vendetta for example, even though it was from the same producers.

Added to this the great choice in cast, Ogilvy was terrific, and i was left with a fantastic piece of hard hitting entertainment.

I really look forward to We Still Steal The Old Way.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 8th December 2015, 01:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The thing i found with WSKTOW was that it was really well made and scripted.

Yes it really is at face value a revenge flick of which there are hundreds about, yet this was a cut above similar films, say Vendetta for example, even though it was from the same producers.

Added to this the great choice in cast, Ogilvy was terrific, and i was left with a fantastic piece of hard hitting entertainment.

I really look forward to We Still Steal The Old Way.
"Hard hitting Entertainment" pretty much sums it up, Dem.
If they do a sequel, I'll watch it.
Old 8th December 2015, 01:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
"Hard hitting Entertainment" pretty much sums it up, Dem.
If they do a sequel, I'll watch it.
Have you seen the Kevin Bacon film Death Sentence?

That will have you squirming with discomfort.

I really like that too.
Old 8th December 2015, 01:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen the Kevin Bacon film Death Sentence?

That will have you squirming with discomfort.

I really like that too.
Yeah, that one's pretty good. Again, very much a back brain button pusher. I'm beginning to think that really raw revenge flicks do a good service - they remind us that there are less civilised parts of us, no matter who we think we are and what we think we believe in.
Old 8th December 2015, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #3

Terror Night (1987)

Lance Hayward, a presumed dead silent screen star returns to his old home in the Hollywood Hills and murders anyone he comes across in the style of his old movies.

Terror Night would make a terrific double bill with Fade to Black (1980) as both movies pay homage to the golden days of the silver screen and both are a lot of fun.

Lots of old stars have cameos in Terror Night - Alan Hale, John Ireland, Aldo Ray, Cameron Mitchell and Dan Haggerty, making it feel something a little more special than it actually is. We also get the usual bunch of idiots, sorry young people, headed by Michelle Bauer, who are all ripe for slaughter. Not that the old stars survive either.

There is blood, lots of it, and some fairly inventive deaths, thankfully the movie has no pretentions other than what it is - a good old fashioned slasher movie in love with Hollywood and the silent screen.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 8th December 2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 8th December 2015, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great reviews, Frankie. I'm intrigued by We Still Kill the Old Way, especially after reading your thoughts. If you've seen it, is it at all similar to Harry Brown?
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 8th December 2015, 06:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Terror Night sounds great, Dem; right up my scuzzy little alley. One for the watch-list for sure.
Old 8th December 2015, 06:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Great reviews, Frankie. I'm intrigued by We Still Kill the Old Way, especially after reading your thoughts. If you've seen it, is it at all similar to Harry Brown?
I reviewed 'Harry Brown' this year, but I can't remember much about it apart from that I liked it and that, yes, it's another one which doesn't exactly suggest that we should all just sit down and talk it all through. The setting and the theme of old cockneys hitting back hard are in parallel with WSKTOW, and I vaguely recall it too being well made, fast paced and satisfyingly violent.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I reviewed 'Harry Brown' this year, but I can't remember much about it apart from that I liked it and that, yes, it's another one which doesn't exactly suggest that we should all just sit down and talk it all through. The setting and the theme of old cockneys hitting back hard are in parallel with WSKTOW, and I vaguely recall it too being well made, fast paced and satisfyingly violent.
WSKTOW is pure exploitation playing on red top headlines and geezer gangster fandom where as HB is slightly less exploitation film based but still exploiting media created fears.

However you cut it, they are both great films though WSKTOW wins it for me as it is pure in its exploitation.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking (something along the lines of) 'This is a film straight from headlines in the Daily Mail', so wondered if that was the same as We Still Kill the Old Way – it seems it is.

Like this? Share it using the links below!