Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2014, 07:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tonights Italian directors:

Lucio Fulci: ...E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilÃ* (The Beyond) (1981) Have to say at the risk of a possible lynching from other cult labs members that I'm none to keen on Fulci, this is the third Fulci I've seen and on each viewing I've found myself doing other things as I've been watching it. Although I did find the ending quite eerie!

Luigi Cozzi: Starcrash (1978) What the hell did I just see? Lambs Navy Rum girl, Michael Knight, General chang and a robot with a western accent and a head shaped like a bell-end save the universe from the neferious evil count! The sort of movie that 88 Films should release.....Great fun!
Old 17th September 2014, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Some more films from Fantasy Film Fest:

Coherence This starts badly, a rather tedious dinner party of middle-class stereotypes. But once it gets going it develops into an interesting take on the time-travel film tying the characters and viewers minds in knots as the timeline bifurcates and characters pass from one timeline to another.

Blue Ruin is already on blu-ray in the U.K. I found it to be an effective, if disappointing following the buzz it generated on its British cinema release, revenge thriller.But it can't compete with Cold in July which played earlier in the festival.

Dark House was a really disappointing haunted house/monsters in the walls film. Not worth staying up until 2 a.m. to see.

Under the skin On the one hand I found this film to be cold and alienating but on the other hand its a brilliant essay on human relationships. It was a brave film for Johannson to take on, and she doesn't quite nail it, but I look forward to seeing her again when I pick up the U.K. blu-ray.

The Mule One of the discoveries of the festival, this Australian film which can probably be summarised as "the police wait 10 days for a man to take a dump" shouldn't really work but its darkly humorous battle of wills between the titular Mule who spends the film trying not to use the bathroom and the policemen who hope to acquire the evidence they need to put him in prison. It also has probably the grossest scene of the last few years - what does one do to hide the condoms full of heroin that one has just excreted on the bed?

Timelapse When their neighbour goes missing three twenty-something friends discover that he has been secretly taking pictures. But pictures of what they will be doing tomorrow. This is a small, low budget independent film with grand ideas. It doesn't quite manage to hit the heights for which it aims, but it should be applauded for at least trying.

Out of the Dark this is a fine haunted house film. Not the best haunted house film of the festival, that spot is probably reserved for The house at the end of time, but well worth seeking out - especially as it seems to draw inspiration from a truly horrific true story.

Wolf Cop This was a second viewing after I saw the film at Fantasia and didn't really like it. I think that may be because I was tired, it was the midnight film on day 16 (and film 58) of my Fantasia visit, as I really liked it second time round. So much so that I may watch it again at Grimmfest.

Starred Up I think "youth in prison" films are something that we do very well here in the U.K. and Starred Up is another great entry in that tradition. It follows the story of a young offender who is moved from a young offenders institute to an adult prison early because of his angry violence. He is imprisoned with his father and finds some peace in an anger management group. This film is a brutal and dispiriting portrait of men at their worst, but is quite brilliant. The final image, a spinning turnstile at the entrance/exit of the prison, is both a fantastic summary of the film as well as a depressing indictment of our prison system.

and finally for now Metalhead a Norwegian drama about how one family come to terms with the death of their son/brother. In her introduction to the film the chief of the Hmaburg festival seemed to apologise for including it in the programme as, with the exception of its heavy metal soundtrack perhaps, it has none of the elements of a fantasy film - but even though it is most definitely not a fantasy film this is, for my money, one of the best films of the festival. It brought a lump to my throat and something in my eye by its end, not a bad achievement given that I am a cynical cold hearted bastard.

Nine more films to go before i head for home on Saturday morning.
Old 17th September 2014, 08:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

'OUTPOST'
For a number of years now i have been putting off watching 'OUTPOST' and friends have been telling me it's a mistake... I watched it and just about everything that annoys me about poor script writing and bad film making is in this movie. utter tripe.

'The Alien Factor'
I saw this VHS cover in another thread and Bizareye let me into a secret that the film was on youtube, i watched it straight away and loved it, cheesy as hell and Bizareye is right the end of the movie comes from nowhere and abruply ends the film to reveal a bunch of 'out takes'? a little gem that i would love to own on VHS.

'Schindler's List' and 'Un Grande Illusion'
Both are great films and Schindler's List looks and sounds great folks, my suggestion however is to wait for a box that hasn't had 'Ultraviolet' printed all over it.

'Tourist Trap' (88Films)
I really enjoyed this horror movie, it's not brilliant but it has a plot and a crazy guy who wears masks so my inner 80's horror fan was happy to see a new flick from an ere i love movies, i will pick it up on Blu-Ray but i'm told the transfer is a bit dull? At any rate i will forgive 88Films for any miss givings in Tourist Trap because they have some seriously great films coming out soon.

'The Box Trolls'
I went to the cinema with work and saw this movie, Ben Kingsley makes the main protagonist come to life, i enjoyed the animation and the Box Trolls remind me of 'Boglins' from back in the day so all in all i enjoyed the movie quite a bit. This movie is a little different from the generic stuff Tim Burton has been churning out so if you fancy a fresh and exciting animation maybe check this out.

Ghost Ship (1952)
A ship has been set up for sale and a young couple want to but it to live on however the dock master warns them away, he tells them the boat is cursed and is haunted and no one should buy it... well guess what folks, they buy it and the ship is haunted... the ending is reminiscent of all scooby doo episodes were the mask is pulled of the ghost and you find out it's Ron who has been scaring all the buyers away because he hates boating folks... check it out if you fancy a good post sunday roast movie just be prepared for the dull ending.

I watched a few others but i'd better stop at that.

Ghost Ship (1952) / Spooky Movie Dave - YouTube
Old 17th September 2014, 09:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
'The Alien Factor'
I saw this VHS cover in another thread and Bizareye let me into a secret that the film was on youtube, i watched it straight away and loved it, cheesy as hell and Bizareye is right the end of the movie comes from nowhere and abruply ends the film to reveal a bunch of 'out takes'? a little gem that i would love to own on VHS.
Glad you enjoyed it, Vipp. It is indeed cheesy as hell - I loved some of the alien creature designs.
Vipp likes this.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Me too mate, the creatures are exactly like you said - it's like an episode of classic Dr Who set in a low budget movie. brilliant.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post

Ghost Ship (1952)
A ship has been set up for sale and a young couple want to but it to live on however the dock master warns them away, he tells them the boat is cursed and is haunted and no one should buy it... well guess what folks, they buy it and the ship is haunted... the ending is reminiscent of all scooby doo episodes were the mask is pulled of the ghost and you find out it's Ron who has been scaring all the buyers away because he hates boating folks... check it out if you fancy a good post sunday roast movie just be prepared for the dull ending.
I have this on dvd. It's quite good in places, especially the sequence down below where Walsh senses someone has been smoking. It's a shame it all goes a bit pear shaped with the seance.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Trip With the Teacher (1975)

Four college girls are on a field trip with their teacher in the desert when their bus breaks down. Fortunately three bikers find them and offer to help them get to safety and their bus fixed. However things soon take a turn for the sleazy as the bikers harass the girls then assault the teacher, before towing the mini bus to a remote cabin and running over and murdering the driver before holding the girls hostage. How far should a teacher go to protect her students?

Famous for being one of sexploitation legend Zalman King's first features, Trip With the Teacher unfortunately gets a bit lost in the sea of sexploitation / horror / hostage films and pales in comparison with Last House on the Left, Last House on the Beach and House on the Edge of the Park among others, especially when you consider this films lack of those most exploitative elements - sex, nudity and violence.

The film itself is fine but nothing apart from King's deranged performance as Al the mad biker really stand out in this crowded genre, except the plot device of motorcyclists which together with the groovy seventies soundtrack somehow gives certain scenes an Easy Rider feel to them. This is more or less the film's main redeeming feature as it doesn't offer much in the way of dramatic tension or excitement, so if you own any of the films i've mentioned in these couple of paragraphs, you'd be far better watching them than this half hearted effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A70-7710.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 17th September 2014, 09:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Good to see that my triple-posting is rubbing off on others.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Good to see that my triple-posting is rubbing off on others.
It's my first time.

I feel dirty and need to take a shower.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's my first time.

I feel dirty and need to take a shower.
There's no showers where we're going...
Rondadoronron likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!