Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree133504Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29531  
Old 8th September 2014, 06:09 PM
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs's Avatar
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Criminally Insane (1975)


Obese Ethel gets released from a psychiatric hospital under the care of her Grandmother. The doctors fear for her health and warn her that she must stop eating so much and lose some weight. However, Ethel doesn't want to stop eating...

In fact, she wants to eat more and more to the extent her grandmother locks all the food away in a cupboard with the intent of forcing Ethel to diet. What poor Grandma doesn't realise is that you should never keep a psychotic fat person from their food, and she soon gets a knife in her back for her troubles. Now Ethel has control of the food and starts to eat all she can and kill all who get in her way.

Criminally Insane is a fairly short low budget almost 'slasher' film with OTT ketchup-red bloody kills as Ethel hacks and carves her way through all barriers to reach the fridge.

Short and sweet, Criminally Insane was an entertaining ride with a simple no-nonsense story which didn't try and bite off more than it could chew; unlike Ethel, of course.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 8th September 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29532  
Old 8th September 2014, 07:47 PM
trebor8273's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Default

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410204887.197410.jpg




hunchback of the morgue

Only the third Paul Naschy film I have seen and have enjoyed them all, shame that I only recently discovered the great mans work. Here Paul a plays hunchback (Gotho) that is in love with a terminal ill girl, she dies and Gotho flips out and ends killing two men. He flees into some catacombs taking her body with him. Sometime later he meets a mad scientist Doctor Orla who tells Gotho that he will bring her back if he helps him in his experiment to created a creature. But as always things don't go as planned. Really enjoyed it and Naschy gives a ruthless yet sympathetic performance and you really feel for him. 9/10

Watching jess Franco's Dracula and the small amount I have seen I'm think it's a better film than the francis ford Coppola version

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th September 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29533  
Old 8th September 2014, 08:03 PM
JoshuaKaitlyn's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manchester
Default

From 1959: part 2

North by Northwest - A great thriller that looks great on blu.

Ballad of a Soldier - Won the BAFTA Best film from any source award in 1962. Starts off ok with some good tank scenes but after that I kind of lost interest.

La Grande Guerra - Again I lost interest in this, over long!

Room at the Top - Winner of the BAFTA Best picture award, 1959. The first in a trilogy that also spawned a 70's TV show 'Man at the Top' wasn't too bad a picture.

Pork Chop Hill - Hmm! I expected more from this.

Tarzan's Greatest Adventure - With Sol Lesser having sold his interest in the series to Sy Weintraub the producers first crack at the whip is actually a fairly decent picture, starring Gordon Scott again, in his penultimate outing and Anthony Quayle with Sean Connery.

Apur Sansa - Satyajit Ray's final film in his Apu trilogy. Not Bad.

Sapphire - A cracking British movie that definatly needs either a BFI or MOC release. Its a fascinating insight into the attitudes of the British people in the 50's. Also won the BAFTA best picture award for 1960.

Solomon and Sheba - Its a little hard to judge if this is being played for laughs, George Sanders, (horribly miscast), limp wristed attemps at defending himself with shield and sword in the opening battle didn't help.

Der Tiger von Eschnapur - The first part of Fritz Lang's Indian Epic marks his return to German cinema. Comes off as a bit old fashioned but its a good adventure yarn.

Das indische Grabmal - The second part of the Indian Epic and again its equally as good as the first part. Plus its got Debra Paget in one of the skimpiest dance costumes I've ever seen in a 50's movie....Oh to be a costume fitter on this production!

We are the Lambeth Boys - An episode in the 'Free Cinema' movement. A interesting, documentary insight into the British 50's teenager lives.

And finishing the 50's decade off with a couple of Charlton Heston pictures:

Ben-Hur - The big budget multi oscar winning remake of the 1925 film that was also a remake of an even earlier 1907 short. Again on blu it looks spectacular, and that chariot race!

The Wreck of the Mary Deare - Here Heston plays second fiddle to Gary Cooper who plays a sea captain trying to prove that the owner of the ship that he's on is trying to pull a fast one with the insurance people. Not bad but not great either.
__________________
Alea iacta est."
Reply With Quote
  #29534  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:13 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

The Factory (2014)

Stranded in the middle of nowhere when their bus breaks down, a disparate group of people take shelter in a seemingly deserted backwater town. There they discover a small museum called the Death Factory, dedicated to serial killers - Gacy, Gein, Dahmer, Fish, the Zodiac Killer and Jack the Ripper. All hell breaks loose when supernatural forces resurrect the horror hall of fame and the travellers find themselves in a battle of survival in the Death Factory.

For a low budget chiller The Factory almost delivers the goods. It's very entertaining and has an original story line. Seeing the world's most notorious killers in one film is quite a novelty. The bus passengers are all sufficiently different to the normal slasher fodder and on the whole the acting is pretty competent. Quite nasty in places, the film opens with a genuinely horrific attack on a woman, the camera work going all Fulci on our ass as it lovingly gazes at her gushing arteries. From then on we are occasionally treated to savagery and gory blood on breast nudity but perhaps not enough when you consider the film's subject matter. Possibly it was a case of ideas and concept exceeding the film making funds.

This is only a minor grumble though as The Factory was a thoroughly entertaining horror film and like recent favourite Stitchface stands head and shoulders above the crowded supermarket shelves of low budget dross.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91TXQtRYl0L._SL1500_.jpg (101.8 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #29535  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:16 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is offline
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Factory (2014)

Stranded in the middle of nowhere when their bus breaks down, a disparate group of people take shelter in a seemingly deserted backwater town. There they discover a small museum called the Death Factory, dedicated to serial killers - Gacy, Gein, Dahmer, Fish, the Zodiac Killer and Jack the Ripper. All hell breaks loose when supernatural forces resurrect the horror hall of fame and the travellers find themselves in a battle of survival in the Death Factory.

For a low budget chiller The Factory almost delivers the goods. It's very entertaining and has an original story line. Seeing the world's most notorious killers in one film is quite a novelty. The bus passengers are all sufficiently different to the normal slasher fodder and on the whole the acting is pretty competent. Quite nasty in places, the film opens with a genuinely horrific attack on a woman, the camera work going all Fulci on our ass as it lovingly gazes at her gushing arteries. From then on we are occasionally treated to savagery and gory blood on breast nudity but perhaps not enough when you consider the film's subject matter. Possibly it was a case of ideas and concept exceeding the film making funds.

This is only a minor grumble though as The Factory was a thoroughly entertaining horror film and like recent favourite Stitchface stands head and shoulders above the crowded supermarket shelves of low budget dross.
Been waiting for you to review this since I saw your post in the Bought thread, might have to give this a shot next time I'm in ASDA
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #29536  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:18 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Been waiting for you to review this since I saw your post in the Bought thread, might have to give this a shot next time I'm in ASDA
It's well worth 3 Rik.
Reply With Quote
  #29537  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:30 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

A NEW POLICE STORY. Jackie Chan plays it almost straight for the most part in this film which mixes over the top action with the normal doses of over the top sentiment and slapstick often found in popular Chinese cinema. Fun.

HOUSE OF THE DEVIL. One of the few homages to the cinema of the past that feels genuine in approach and emotion. Ti West's work isn't for everyone but if you like a slow burn and a bugger all happening approach that means everything in the end give it a go. One of my favourite horror films of the past ten years. Recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #29538  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:38 PM
Buboven's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cardiff
Default

Watched Michael Caine shout his way through The Swarm (1978) tonight. Has a pretty effective and cool opening sequence but from then on turns very dire. 4/10. Would have love to see a remake with Nicholas Cage in it.
Reply With Quote
  #29539  
Old 8th September 2014, 09:55 PM
Buboven's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cardiff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
A NEW POLICE STORY. Jackie Chan plays it almost straight for the most part in this film which mixes over the top action with the normal doses of over the top sentiment and slapstick often found in popular Chinese cinema. Fun.

HOUSE OF THE DEVIL. One of the few homages to the cinema of the past that feels genuine in approach and emotion. Ti West's work isn't for everyone but if you like a slow burn and a bugger all happening approach that means everything in the end give it a go. One of my favourite horror films of the past ten years. Recommended.
I like slow burn as much as anyone but I would call West's approach in HOTD very slow snail burn, I mean does half n hour of the girl on the telephone ordering pizza, listening to music, changing TV channels etc actually build any atmosphere o suspense? The orphanage, now that is a fantastic example of slow burn.
Reply With Quote
  #29540  
Old 8th September 2014, 10:02 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I like slow burn as much as anyone but I would call West's approach in HOTD very slow snail burn, I mean does half n hour of the girl on the telephone ordering pizza, listening to music, changing TV channels etc actually build any atmosphere o suspense? The orphanage, now that is a fantastic example of slow burn.
Works for me, they are my favourite parts of the film. I think it is something that West excels at...stretching the normal out to the point of boredom but for me it never feels like filler as it would in another directors work. It is very much his style which just clicks with me.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.