Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2016, 08:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sounds like an interesting film. That's the first time I have seen the phrase written like that, because I've always thought it was 'derring-do'.
Of course you're right. Interestingly it was actually 'feats of daring-do' but due to errors in the past it became derring-do according to the OED, thus making the error correct and vice-versa.

Chrome spelling always flags words as i type if incorrect even if a lot is just because American programs don't understand English words so naturally derring-do is always underlined red in error but not daring-do.
keirarts and iank like this.
Old 9th July 2016, 09:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Of course you're right. Interestingly it was actually 'feats of daring-do' but due to errors in the past it became derring-do according to the OED, thus making the error correct and vice-versa.

Chrome spelling always flags words as i type if incorrect even if a lot is just because American programs don't understand English words so naturally derring-do is always underlined red in error but not daring-do.
That's interesting to know; I wasn't sure if it was a case of different phrases in different parts of the country/world or a mistake.
Old 10th July 2016, 02:19 AM
Cultist

Just saw this. A tense, character-driven thriller that lived up to all the very positive reviews I've been reading.

The final minute or so is sublime. Highly recommended!

Old 10th July 2016, 04:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Just saw this. A tense, character-driven thriller that lived up to all the very positive reviews I've been reading.

The final minute or so is sublime. Highly recommended!

The Invitation is now available on UK Netflix and is one not to be missed.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
The Invitation is now available on UK Netflix and is one not to be missed.
That's tonight's viewing sorted.
Demoncrat and JamesN like this.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is part of Mark Kermode's wrapup of this week's releases in the Observer:

Finally, a pair of nifty domestic thrillers wring dread and tension from that most middle class of social setups: the dinner party. In The Ones Below (Icon, 15), first-time director David Farr (writer of TV’s The Night Manager) effectively plays on the maintenance and reversal of polite British distance as two adjacent couples, both expecting children and occupying the same smart Islington terrace, gradually eat away at one another. It overboils badly in the last act, however, which can’t be said for US director Karyn Kusama’s super-sleek, super-smart The Invitation, which recently popped up on Netflix. Shamefully denied a UK cinema release, this sharp, shivery tale of ex-spouses circling each other at an ostensibly friendly social reunion riven with hidden histories and agendas keeps its mysteries on a teasingly tight leash throughout. It’s a must-see – and for Kusama, left languishing too long in the Hollywood doldrums following 2000’s tough-shelled indie Girlfight, a career-reigniting revelation.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's tonight's viewing sorted.
And mine

SOLD
Demoncrat and JamesN like this.
Old 10th July 2016, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Based on true events a worthwhile watch and recomended
A experiment On how far would you push boundries even tho you know its not real and only a experiment, and how far would you allow these boundries to be pushed if you could stop it at anytime
While messing with their heads and confusing them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1468144091231.jpg (11.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 10th July 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:14 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

Based on true events a worthwhile watch and recomended
A experiment On how far would you push boundries even tho you know its not real and only a experiment, and how far would you allow these boundries to be pushed if you could stop it at anytime
While messing with their heads and confusing them.
I briefly studied the experiment last year and read Philip Zimbardo's book 'The Lucifer Effect' (highly recommended if this has piqued your interest), so will add this to my Lovefilm rental queue or buy it. It certainly looks better than Das Experiment, the Oliver Hirschbiegel film from 2001; I haven't seen the 2010 remake directed by Paul T. Scheurings, but I'll check that one out as well.
Justin101, keirarts and JamesN like this.
Old 10th July 2016, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Wicked Lady (1983)

Michael Winner's take on the classic Margaret Lockwood / James Mason highwayman film The Wicked Lady (1945).

This is no gentle romp. Winner takes all the excesses from bawdy historical romps and adds even more Winner exploitation instruments and a terrific cast including Faye Dunaway (In the Lockwood role of the wicked lady), Alan Bates, Denholm Elliott, Oliver Tobias (using a very odd voice), John Gielgud, Prunella Scales and Glynis Barber to create a wonderfully entertaining film.

The story of how an aristocratic woman seduces her sisters to be husband, marries him, becomes bored, turns to a life of highway robbery and meets infamous highwayman Captain Jerry Jackson is quite similar to Leslie Arliss' version of the 1945 film, but Winner improves on it quite a lot by adding violence, sex and nudity in great splashes. Including an infamous sequence that had the BBFC in outrage as Dunaway whips Star Trek's Marina Sirtis in front of a crowd until she bleeds and her dress tears off. This is a long scene and is reminiscent of something Jess Franco would use for titillating violence especially when Sirtis gets her own whip and the scene turns into an extended nude catfight in front of a baying crowd. Sadly for Alan Bates fans he doesn't wrestle in the nude in front of a roaring fire in this, he's a little too out of shape i'm afraid, no, in this Winner lets Tobias and Barber **** in a protracted fire lit sex scene.

The original film is a British classic, this is tasteless, camp, violent, exploitation. Guess which i prefer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg The_Wicked_Lady_FilmPoster.jpeg (45.3 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!