Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179784Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2017, 12:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SISTERS – Even though I've never been all that hot on DePalma, I have to admit he's made some pretty stunning films. 'Blow Out', 'Carrie', 'Phantom of the Paradise', they're all great, and highly distinctive too, what with his slightly hysterical flair for dramatics and visuals. 'Sisters', pretty much his first non-indie, is up there with the best of them. It feels quite audacious for its time – not many films back in 1973 would have attempted to bridge the gap between Hitchcock, Polanski and David Cronenberg, especially since the latter had yet to even make 'Shivers'. Plotwise, it follows Margot Kidder as she tries to deal with her murderous twin and the reporter from across the way. It starts with a riff on 'Rear Window', but its final third is a nightmarish and impressionistic unravelling of experimental psychiatry gone wrong. DePalma's flashy stylistics are in place, but the atmosphere is creepy rather than loud. I really liked it.

DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE – Perhaps the original rom-zom-com, Michele Soavi's 'Dellamorte Dellamore' unfolds in a small town graveyard, where an undertaker has to cope with a nightly upsurge of the undead. Well, Italian horror flick this may be, but gravedigger guy (or, why don't I just call him 'Cemetery Man'?) seems to be more bothered about existential ennui, his shitty love life and the exploits of his dense assistant. DD has really grown on me over the years, and I've come to recognise just how unique it is as a movie, throwing bits of wonky philosophising in with Italo zombie mayhem, black comedy and a wonderland style palette that would make the likes of Del Toro and T Burton gasp. Interestingly (for me) the film doesn't so much try for thrills or suspense as it does an atmosphere of curdled whimsy. I like the way it just drifts along – there's no plot, really, although things do take more of a shape during its latter half when cemetery man turns into a bit of a murderer. Even this drama is handled with a languid shrug of the kind perhaps best summed up when Cemetery Man's only friend emerges from a coma after massacring his family to murmur “everything's just...shit”. Pretty great.

BLACK MAGIC – You can get much weirder and more out there HK horror than 'Black Magic', but I liked this. I'm no expert in this domain of the genre, but 'Black Magic' pretty much got the early eighties Hong Kong horror renaissance's ball rolling, and, whilst its titular sequel offers more gore, freakiness and, erm, tits, the original doesn't necessarily skimp on the good stuff. It is weighted more in favour of story and development however, so, rather than craning your neck looking for bad special effects involving the puking of centipedes, you might have to accept the necessity of following a plotline about a woman's attempts to seduce some dude via sorcery before anything particularly graphic gets going. That said, obviously nothing goes to plan, leaving the door open for various HK horror staples (such as nice looking worms under skin) to eventually slip into the room. Speaking of rooms, this film is tres chichi, and resembles a peyote head's recollections of an interior design catalogue from 1975. Which in my book is definitely a reason to see it.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:03 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMzc5ODcyNTYtMDAwNy00MDhjLWFmOWUtNGVhMDRlYjE1YzNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0.jpg

The only thing i will say about the plot is its the last seven days of Laura Palmers life before the events of the TV show of Twin Peaks just incase there are people who have not watched the series yet.

Its been a long time since i last watched this and with a new season of Twin Peaks on the horizon im diving back in to this and the series before it airs in four months

Its a hard one to review without spoiling not only the film but the show itself. This film takes me on an emotional rollercoaster and thats purely down to the amazing performance of Sheryl Lee she absolutely blows my mind in every scene. Everything she does just feels so real and heartfelt you can really feel her fears her heartbreak and her complete emotional breakdown. This is one of the most believable and haunting performances i have ever seen in any film.

Note to anyone who has not seen the Twin Peaks tv series this is a prequel so watch the show first.

9/10

Sorry for the bare bones review but im sure you can understand the difficult situation with this one.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 186171

The only thing i will say about the plot is its the last seven days of Laura Palmers life before the events of the TV show of Twin Peaks just incase there are people series this is a prequel so watch the show first.

9/10

Sorry for the bare bones review but im sure you can understand the difficult situation with this one.
Indeed I do. The show is ropey at best and the film is plain crap.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Indeed I do. The show is ropey at best and the film is plain crap.
Jesus i thought my review was bare bones
Old 25th January 2017, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran

I watched Massacre in Dinosaur Valley last night and all the way through was wondering why anyone would want to pay £10,000 to restore such trash It was absolutely terrible in every way. I was also scratching my head at where the 2 minutes of cuts would have been made on the Vipco DVD. I know that the BBFC had a thing about showing blood on boobs, so that's one cut, but everything else was so tame!

However, having said all of that, after watching Callum talking about it and how it fits into the whole cannibal sub-genre it made me slightly re-evaluate my original thoughts. It's still shit, but it's semi-interesting shit

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th January 2017, 09:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Those of you who, like me, have seen La La Land and were interested in the references, might enjoy this video which smartly edits together the musicals from around the world and across several decades to which Damien Chazelle paid homage:

Old 25th January 2017, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Those of you who, like me, have seen La La Land and were interested in the references, might enjoy this video which smartly edits together the musicals from around the world and across several decades to which Damien Chazelle paid homage:

My wife's going to watch La La Land Friday with some other women.
keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That's really interesting Nos. Thanks for posting. I've never heard of The Band Wagon which LA LA Land's most iconic set piece emulates.

I think i have all the other films shown, in my dvd collection.

Should i get my coat?
Old 25th January 2017, 10:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Should i get my coat?
and your hat, scarf and gloves too.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's really interesting Nos. Thanks for posting. I've never heard of The Band Wagon which LA LA Land's most iconic set piece emulates.

I think i have all the other films shown, in my dvd collection.

Should i get my coat?
No, I really think everyone should give it a chance I'm not a big fan of musicals but I loved it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!