Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2019, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Have to say I really enjoyed this , I was expecting a biopic more like bohemian rhapsody but what we get a is a musical rock opera that explodes with sound and colour , old potato head was a lot better in the lead role of Elton than I ever thought he would be, the level of acting was excellent throughout and film as expertly directed by Dexter Fletcher. Sad, touching and uplifting . I really was surprised by just what a huge star he was at his height , I knew he was popular but not as popular as showing. unlike rhapsody they didn't shy away from his drug / alcohol abuse and love a sasuage. 9/10
Old 10th June 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Four Flies on Grey Velvet 1971.

A musician is stalked by a killer who is blackmailing him after a accidental killing.

This was a weird look into the mind of Dario, this may not be his best but certainly not his worse movie. Michael Brandon stars as Roberto, a drummer in a rock band who is being stalked and blamed for murders that are happening around him. The film does seem to have some plot holes and can drag on as the acting seems to go in a different direction. The cinematography is always at its best with Argento's view and good music 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41wO0yuwIUL._SY445_.jpg (19.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th June 2019, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House With Laughing Windows. 1976.

Painter Stefano is hired by a mayor of a small village to restore a painting made by a mentally unstable man presumed dead. As he sets to work and meets other people he is introduced to a house and looks into the painter's background.

This is a decent giallo thriller, not to everyone's taste but wouldn't dismiss a viewing. It's not a typical gore fest, it's more psychological as a man trying to unlock the secrets of another man's mind and sanity as well as finding out secrets of the villagers. Lino Capolicchio plays the part of Stefano pretty well (not academy awarding winning) but seems to know how to entertain an audience as well as director Pupi Avati. It doesn't have suspense or tense moments but does have a dark gothic atmosphere. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51B8BGZKM0L._SY445_.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th June 2019, 01:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Following on from his success as Flash Gordon, Buster Crabb is Buck Rogers!

Buck Rogers is piloting a airship near the arctic when it crash and he and his young companion are frozen in time. 500 years later there are found and revived , buck learns that a lot has changed and the earth is now under the control of killer kain and his band of outlaws, a small hope remains for humanity with the hidden city run by doctor Huer , the citizens of the hidden city hope there neighbour plant of Saturn can help them get rid of kain . Typical cliffhanger serial which usual involves some type of explosion of crash. No Twiki or Princess Ardala here. But it's all enjoyable and fast paced if you don't think about the massive scientific effors, why does Saturn look like earth and why are there clouds in outerspace!

20510.jpg

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 11th June 2019, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

x-men-dark-phoenix-poster-2019.jpg

Entertaining yet somewhat flat ending to the X-Men series.
The confusing part of all this is tying all the movies together as the timeline for these films is a bit of a mess.
Not the dumpster fire I was expecting but given the comic book source material this should have been an epic ending to the series instead of just "alright".
Old 11th June 2019, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Cat 1981.

Professor Robert Miles has psychic abilities that allows him to communicate with the dead and control the mind of a black cat in order to exact revenge on people.

Adapted by Edgar Allan Poe, Lucio Fulci brings this story to life, this is not his best film, there is some tense moments but there is some plot holes to the story. On the other hand Patrick Magee gives out a very creepy performance as Robert, who the villagers sees as a strange character, Al Cliver and David Warbeck star alongside Mimsy Farmer. Sergio Salvati joins Fulci once again and captures some beautiful shots of the English scenery as well as some dark gothic crypts. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (8.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th June 2019, 11:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The House With Laughing Windows. 1976.

Painter Stefano is hired by a mayor of a small village to restore a painting made by a mentally unstable man presumed dead. As he sets to work and meets other people he is introduced to a house and looks into the painter's background.

This is a decent giallo thriller, not to everyone's taste but wouldn't dismiss a viewing. It's not a typical gore fest, it's more psychological as a man trying to unlock the secrets of another man's mind and sanity as well as finding out secrets of the villagers. Lino Capolicchio plays the part of Stefano pretty well (not academy awarding winning) but seems to know how to entertain an audience as well as director Pupi Avati. It doesn't have suspense or tense moments but does have a dark gothic atmosphere. 6-7 out of 10.
I love that movie, needs a proper release, another one from Pupi that is amazing quiet entertaining it's Zeder
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
I love that movie, needs a proper release, another one from Pupi that is amazing quiet entertaining it's Zeder
That one has been on my mind to get but wasn't too sure about it.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Calling (2014)

Good performances, especially from Susan Sarandon and Christopher Heyerdahl, as well as nice photography and moody locales, can't help you escape the fact that this tale of a serial killer thinking he has a calling from on high is just a bit too daft for it's own good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fid14337.jpg (24.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th June 2019, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dark Crimes (2016)

Polish set crime thriller in which Jim Carrey's cop investigates...oh forget it, this was boring bollocks. Dark and moody with zero substance. and a script that moves at a snail's pace. Jim Carrey, far from his comfort zone is quite compelling but the film lacks even modest chills.

I really wanted to like this, the opening twenty minutes gave the impression it would be good, gritty and deliciously grim, but it all peters out to the point of boredom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dark-crimes-french-dvd-cover.jpg (71.4 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!