Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2017, 10:57 AM
Cult Addict

Low Blow
A rich mans daughter joins a Jonestown type religious cult, her father requests a former cop turned PI to find out where she is and bring her back. So he decides to create a super team to storm the place to do so.
This isn't a bad movie. Leo Fong is a great laugh, especially when he's terribly driving his car. The fight choreography is good, the only let down unfortunately is Cameron Mitchell who spends most of his time sitting in a chair and mumbling.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2017, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Planet terror 2007

A gas designed to take out a population and turn people into zombies is released in a poplutated area in Texas, a band of survivors, Go-Go dancer Cherry, El wray, nurse dakota Block, Sherrif Hague and his brother J.T. who sells the best barbacue steaks in Texas, try to escape the nightmare.

From director Robert Rodriguez director of Desperado, The Faculty, Sin City brings us this movie, filmed like a bad 70s horror movie but dont let that put you off, this film has it all, comedy, action, blood, gore and strippers. The movie does start off a bit slow then all hell breaks loose. The film didnt do great at cinema and was released along side Death Proof and became a bit more of a hit, it is worth a watch, 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planet terror main pic.jpg (9.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th November 2017, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Moon of the Wolf (1972) Scream of the Wolf (1974)

A couple of made for tv movies which although two years apart have a lot in common. Both have name directors - Daniel Petrie and Dan Curtis - both have recognizable stars - David Jannsen and Peter Graves - with plenty of 'What have i seen them in before' co-stars who add credibility, both feature rural communities under threat and both are solidly made if not exactly horrifying werewolf thrillers which prove entertaining enough in an undemanding way. Both are well worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moon_of_the_Wolf.jpg (39.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg scream-of-the-wolf_.jpg (34.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 04:12 AM
Cult Addict

The House that screamed.

81Z-YVA0B6L._SL1500_.jpg

First time viewing for this Spanish film by the same bloke who made 'Who could kill a child' a film that i really like, so i had high hopes for this.
Did it live up to my expectations, hell yes.

housethatsc3.JPG

The story is about a young girl (played by Cristina Galbo from 'Living dead at the Manchester Morgue') who arrives at a boarding school for girls and finds sinister things are going on.
The school is run by a strict Headmistress and her sidekick student Irene who helps to keep the students in check, while her mollycoddled son sneaks around spying on all the girls.
Irene comes to the forefront, given some power she tries to rule the girls and at times torments them, some of the students are unhappy with the strict regime and attempt to escape but are never heard from again.
What is going on in 'The house that screamed'?

878bd9f35ce918b8d36eb842a77ee01ebf7e00e3_hq.jpg

I really liked this, it has a creepy claustrophobic atmosphere as the entire film takes place within the schools walls and has enough twists to keep the viewer
asking questions, the performances are all good and the cinematography is beautiful.
This seems to have been an inspiration for the setting of 'Suspiria' and a couple of scenes reminded me of Argento moments, specifically a shot that follows water pipes along into a shower room.
The film is slow moving but i was never bored, there is not much in the way of gore or nudity but i was just swept along by the visuals and music, also i was surprised when one of the main characters met their demise, totally unexpected.

The Shout factory blu i have is region A locked but if you can play it i recommend it as it contains a theatrical version and extended cut (8mins added, the colours fade slightly during the inserts) . It looks absolutely stunning,apparently there's never been a decent dvd release before and i've wanted to see this film for a while so i am glad i saw this copy first.

housethatsc17.JPG

Recommended 8.5/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th November 2017, 08:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Night of the demons 1988

Teen kids Angela and Suzanned ecides to hold a Halloween part at the old Hill House that was once a funeral parlour. During the party the hold a seance and unleash the demons inside the possessed house.

This movie has it all, booze, naked chicks violence and demons, and also some great one liners all thanks to the 80s.

Its not a big budget film but certainly entertains from the horror side and the special F/X from Steve Johnson who worked on alot of horror movies. If you havent seen this film, its well worth the watch.
I LOVE this series
keirarts, troggi and MrBarlow like this.
Old 10th November 2017, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wind River (2017)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 11th November 2017, 02:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Les yeux sans visage (1960)

Les yeux sans visage or Eyes Without a Face, an early European Gothic from director Georges Franju is a classy affair. Morbid and yet quite beautiful at the same time with a sumptuous atmosphere that builds throughout.

The film is about a young woman (Edith Scob) left horribly disfigured following a car crash meaning she must wear a mask to hide her injuries and her surgeon father (Pierre Brasseur) who together with his assistant (Alida Valli) kidnap girls and attempt to graft their surgically removed faces onto his daughter.

Whilst it harks back to typical mad scientist movies, Les yeux sans visage has a style all it's own. It's a beautifully photographed film with excellent composition and framing - Scob, wandering the mansion in mask and flowing dress is a haunting sight and will linger long in the memory as will the grotesque (for their time) scenes of surgery and face removal.

Brilliantly acted and paced magnificently, Les yeux sans visage was a first time viewing for me and i don't think it's intricacies have properly sunk in yet. I will say that the film's theme music which runs throughout was a little too much like Frolic from Curb Your Enthusiasm which played on my mind at times when i should have been concentrating on the film. Finally i must mention Auguste Capellier who created the expressionless and utterly iconic mask worn by Scobb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eyeswithoutaface_poster.jpg (29.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Les yeux sans visage (1960)
The film's theme music is so romantic and so eery at the same time. In my eyes, it's Christiane's emotions turned into notes. Maurice Jarre was a musical genius. I adore the score.

Nice review of an excellent film, by the way.
Old 11th November 2017, 08:50 PM
Cult Addict

Wonder Woman

Captain America in a frock with hippy dippy peace and love vibes. Lacks the wankability of the TV show.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:15 AM
Cult Addict

Death Wish
A mother is beaten and dies in hospital and and her daughter is raped. The father tries to cope, but gets tired off the police so shoots down muggers. The public loves and the police despise him.
This is the first time I have watched this and I loved it Bronson is awesome as Paul Kersey and his performance stands out. The opening sequence is rather uncomfortable especially when you're looking at Jeff Goldblums bum.
9/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!