All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2018, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

La org?*a de los muertos (1973)

A Spanish Gothic shocker set in Scotland in the 19th century which is probably most famous for Paul Naschy's co-starring role as a necrophiliac grave digger - after spying on Maria Pia Conte he goes into the cellars and kisses the lifeless corpses of dead women saying 'You're the only ones for me'.

Aside from Naschy and Pia Conte the film stars Dyanik Zurakowska. Having survived The Vampires Night Orgy (1972) and sleazy Jack Taylor spying on her nudity, poor Dyanik has to strip for Stelvio Rosi, who then tells her she's pathetic, in an even more degrading scene.

The plot is well worn, regarding someone going back to their family plot to claim their inheritance and all manner of scares and general weirdness going on to scare them away. The film, whilst not the most eventful still retains it's charm with some effective shocks, a creepy atmosphere and some eerie Macedonian villages masquerading as the Scottish Highlands.

Well worth a watch for lovers of Gothic Euro horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanging-woman-1.jpg (81.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st January 2018, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hugely enjoyable Shaw brothers martial arts film . A master sends his latest pupil to find his other pupils the five venoms and see what they have been up to and to stop them from they are using skills for evil. The plot takes second fiddle to the OTT fights, we also have some pretty gruesome torture. The film wouldn't be half as much fun it is without the terrible and hilarious dub. 8/10

Now watching the dark (1979)
Old 31st January 2018, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of brutal killings were the victims heads are ripped off ever night , have the police baffled and the public terrified. It's up to a few familiar faces to stop what's happening first of these is father of the first victim a horror writer played by William Devane, Cathy Lee Cosby as a news reporter and Richard Jaeckel as a cop. Not the best film but it's worth watching just for the end scene with cops exploding and being set on fire left and right. Also watch out for Philip Michael Thomas in a small role . 6/10

Next up either some classic B/W flash Gordon or the phantom creep with Bela Lugosi.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Random thoughts strung together round a fire about the past weeks viewing skewered together in a misshapen kebab style confection....

Flash Gordon's trip to mars

Attachment 200899

Been watching this on and off for a while and tis well worth the effort if you are a fan of 20 minute bursts of retro nostalgic fun.

Probably doesn't do anything for the kids of today. but it's their loss as we get to go through the trials and tribulations of Flash getting caught by Ming, escaping for 5 minutes and getting caught again in a strange eternal loop.

Brilliantly bonkers in the way it has a total death cliffhanger that is some how escapable by re shooting a vital scene at the last moment each week.
Still fantastically cosy and comforting to watch.

Recommended 8/10....

When I was a wee nipper used to goto a club every Saturday which showed these along with the buck Rogers and superman serial amongst others. Kids today don't what they are missing.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BNWRkYWY3ODMtMTljNy00NDgzLWE3NzYtY2ZiOWQ3Y2M4YTE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)

Teenager Tony is experiencing anger problems. Always getting in to fights at school, Tony is sent to a psychotherapist. Things are not as they seem as the doctor experiments on Tony, reverting him back to an animal like state.
Tony becomes a werewolf and sets off on a killing spree..

Drive-in classic. Good fun. The make up is pretty effective for a low budget movie with the werewolf drooling over the floor.
Nice chilling scene as the werewolf stalks a school pal through the woods.
A little musical number is included as we get into the 50's groove. AIP liked to do this now and again (see Blood Of Dracula 1957)
AIP continued this run with I Was A Teenage Frankenstein (1957) and How To Make A monster (1958)
Old 1st February 2018, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I still have Teenage Werewolf on VHS from when it, and many others of this type (Amazing Colossal Man, How to Make a Monster etc) were rereleased in the early 90’s.
I’ve not seen any of them in years, so I’d love someone to bring them out in a box set or double bill sets
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st February 2018, 11:05 AM
Cult Addict

It Came from Beneath the Sea
Nuclear weapons unfortunately awaken a large octopus who wreaks havoc on ships and such.
Not too bad, the harryhausen effects are stunning, however a lot of the dialogue sequences sandwiched between the octopus scenes are numbingly dull. Still worth checking out.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 1st February 2018, 11:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I’ve not seen any of them in years, so I’d love someone to bring them out in a box set or double bill sets
A couple of Arkoff box sets of films was released on DVD or individual release.

9125lX+2neL._SL1500_.jpg 55809.jpg

Also one of my favourites..

51CQR67EFRL.jpg

Unfortunately, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN and THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN are not available on any official DVD releases.
Old 1st February 2018, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I didn’t know these existed, cheers Dave, I’ll have a search for them
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st February 2018, 11:34 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I didn’t know these existed, cheers Dave, I’ll have a search for them
They all come with a mass of art cards as well. I have The Undead from the range. I really like that.
Rik, keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!