Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2023, 10:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

St Elmo's Fire. A group of young friends struggle with life after college. This mid 80s drama has a stellar cast (the Brat Pack in full flow) and is watchable enough, but is ultimately a fairly empty and pointless glossy soap with not particularly likeable characters. Disappointing.
Old 27th August 2023, 06:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Warriors. 1979.

Walter Hill creates a world of gang warfare that has undertones steeped in reality, but none of the characters of the world they inhabit ever feel real. The movie much more closely resembles a comic book. At times this is played subtly, and in other scenes Hill makes this readily apparent by pausing certain frames on screen to make them look like boxes from a comic book, even provides his voice for the narration explaining the battles of Greek soldiers.

During the opening credits we are introduced to members of The Warriors and some of the other gangs, and during the escape to Coney Island we are given the introduction to The Orphans and The Lizzies. The acting is brilliant and David Patrick Kelly clanging bottles and encouraging our heroes to come out to play. The cinematography is brilliant along with a good fast passed tempo background score. A true 70s classic film.

fCDXAJcPvpsMd5CL1kBKkkNGW3X.jpg
Old 27th August 2023, 06:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Warriors. 1979.

Walter Hill creates a world of gang warfare that has undertones steeped in reality, but none of the characters of the world they inhabit ever feel real. The movie much more closely resembles a comic book. At times this is played subtly, and in other scenes Hill makes this readily apparent by pausing certain frames on screen to make them look like boxes from a comic book, even provides his voice for the narration explaining the battles of Greek soldiers.

During the opening credits we are introduced to members of The Warriors and some of the other gangs, and during the escape to Coney Island we are given the introduction to The Orphans and The Lizzies. The acting is brilliant and David Patrick Kelly clanging bottles and encouraging our heroes to come out to play. The cinematography is brilliant along with a good fast passed tempo background score. A true 70s classic film.

Attachment 247667
I'll second that, it's in my top 10 fav films of all time and probably my most watched, at one point I would watch it around 4-5 times a yr for yrs, one of those films [is to me] that if someone mentions it to you and you have a discussion about it it makes you feel like you want to go home and rewatch it, a film I could never get bored off,
Can you dig it? 100 % I can.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 27th August 2023, 06:41 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Warriors. 1979.

David Patrick Kelly clanging bottles and encouraging our heroes to come out to play
Apparently that iconic moment was an ad-lib
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th August 2023, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I'll second that, it's in my top 10 fav films of all time and probably my most watched, at one point I would watch it around 4-5 times a yr for yrs, one of those films [is to me] that if someone mentions it to you and you have a discussion about it it makes you feel like you want to go home and rewatch it, a film I could never get bored off,
Can you dig it? 100 % I can.
Its one that pops up on my radar every so often and never gets dull just gets better abd better with every viewing. I agree with you, any discussion about it and has to be re-watched.
gag and nicholasrope like this.
Old 27th August 2023, 09:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently that iconic moment was an ad-lib
If it was ad-lib then that moment made the movie more iconic and one scene that everyone remembers.
Old 27th August 2023, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blink. 1994.

Madeline Stowe plays a blind violinist who has her sight restored after 20 years and thinks she has seen a murder and the face of the murderer.

This has the hallmark of a sensitive woman in peril plot after a life altering change and those who dont believe her at first. Aiden Quinn is the detective on the case after a woman is found dead and things begin to happen that changes his attitude and begins to dwell deep into the victims backgrounds that gives out a decent twist and turn or two along the way. This isn't a nail biting thriller but certainly has a close atmospheric tone to it. I'd certainly watch this again.

blink.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 28th August 2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 27th August 2023, 01:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

161770045757294_mainphotos.jpg
DOC SAVAGE THE MAN OF BRONZE (1975)

Nostalgia trip this one. I had not seen this movie in a long time. I first saw it at the cinema as the first movie before Warlords Of Atlantis.
You just gotta go with the flow on this one.. Think Batman tv series and you are on the right track.
Ron Ely is perfect casting for the role. Recognisable from his Tarzan TV show. Pamela Hensley is the main girl in an early film role before Rollerball and Buck Rogers. The movie teased a sequel but due to poor box office it was never to be.
Fun, popcorn comic book adventure.
Old 27th August 2023, 03:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Blood Simple (1984)

A Texan bartender (John Getz) finds himself in the middle of a murder plot when the bar owner (Dan Hedaya) hires a sleazy private investigator ( M. Emmet Walsh) to find out if Getz is having an affair with his wife (Frances McDormand).

The brilliant debut film from the Coen Brothers is an extremely dark American Noir thriller with first rate acting. Dark in story and even darker in it's grizzly tone. As well as classic film noir the Coen's add elements of Hitchcock into the plot strands.

On the surface Blood Simple is a pitch black morality tale, or should i say immorality tale, but scrape a little deeper and the brooding atmosphere, Lewton-esq use of light and shadow and innovative stalking camera work not only increases the suspense but brings John Carpenter's Halloween to mind on multiple occasions, making this so much more than a mere thriller and edging it towards modern classic status.

The StudioCanal Blu-ray looks gorgeous. Having previously owned it on vhs and then dvd i never imagined it could look this good. Those neon signs really pop out of the darkness. Plenty of extras to wallow in too. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blood_simple_xxlg (Large).jpg (56.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th August 2023, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cthuhlu. 2007.

A young man travels back to his home town in Astoria to execute his mother's estate and uncovers a sinister cult involving his family.

H.P. Lovecraft had a strange dream once and was able to write things down into a story and called it Cthuhlu, we have a gay man balancing his sexuality, meeting up with old friends while his loved ones seem to be happy he is home then flicking on a switch and turning against him. I have watched this a few times and still get confused by it, part of it seems to follow Cult Of Cthuhlu while near exploring Lovecraft's other story Dagon. The plot does appear to be a very bad dream sequence throughout, his dad cannot pronounce the name properly which is comical and a insult, the acting at times appears wooden, Tori Spelling does her usual OTT acting and we actually have some decent cinematography. This is more of a bleak dark atmospheric chiller rather than a horror with no monsters and very mild blood and gore flick.

images (3).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!