All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2024, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Predator (1987)

The timeless sci-fi action horror classic - Digital noise reduction edition.

The ultimate advert for the ultimate skin cream. You too can have skin as smooth as Arnie or Carl Weathers with DN-R, the revolutionary new skin cream. All Hollywood's talking about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11316_medium.jpg (20.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 27th January 2024, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Baghead. 2024.

Freya Allan plays a young women who inherits a run down pub from estranged father Peter Mullen that comes with a tenant in the basement who can let those see the dead for a period of two minutes but comes with consequences.

Saw the trailer for this one last week when me and Annmarie went to see Night Swim and seemed like it be a decent somewhat original horror, having Peter Mullen and Jeremy Irvine show up had me thinking it be decent, this was a let down. Having a somewhat dark atmosphere centre that looked like a old gothic building did set the tone, very little cast and a bit of a twist to the plot was a nice touch, the jump scares were a bit predictable.

This is one of those films that you sit there and hoping it will get better and when the end credits came up nobody in the screen seemed to be talking about except a few bits of decent make-up effects in the film for the baghead character.

MV5BODA3ZGMwYzItZGZlMS00MWFmLThhNWMtZGY1NmFmZjg0ZjAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNTA3NjEx._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 28th January 2024, 08:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Isle (2019, Matthew Butler Hart)

When someone mentioned this one, I thought that I had it in the house somewhere.
3 sailors luckily find land after a disaster, the locals seem nice but ....
Hmm. A decent enough idea fell slightly flat due to the story structure and one performance in particular. Might have made a good 30 min short imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2024, 08:51 AM
Cult Master

download.jpeg

Two military kids are left orphaned after their parents are killed at the funeral their uncle offers them the chance to a small town in Florida to help him with his amusement park. This is a typical small town where everyone knows everyone and news spreads fast about the new arrivals as if its not hard enough to start a new life there are always some that wish to make it harder. Abby attracts the unwanted attention of the gang that more or less runs the town and after constantly rejecting their advances things soon get out of hand.

I have never even heard of this until Dem reviewed it and im so glad he did because i may have missed out on this fun film. The bullying starts out with the usual posturing but it soon take a dark turn James Spader is awesome as a crazy asshole that doesn't take kindly to the word no the rest of the gang are just your typical dumb rednecks blindly following the leader but when they are following a complete nutcase who knows what they are capable of. Make no mistake Abby and her brother Loren are no push overs they may have attracted the attention of the gang but they are no victims and its obvious from the get go that Dutra and his goons have picked on the wrong people this time.

The New Kids is well worth your time and the final showdown in the amusement park was great and a lot more violent than i was expecting and very very satisfying to see how these clowns get dealt with.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadtime Stories (1986, Jeffrey Delman)

Anthology caper. Canadian?
What's a parent to do when faced with the eternal dilemma of the sleepless child? Make up his own versions of rather famous tales haha. Loved this one and wished I'd seen it sooner. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2024, 02:02 PM
Cult Master

MV5BM2FiMzM4NzMtM2JkNC00ZjE3LThlMjctMmE5NGYyNTViMWZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg

Earl Macklin has just been released after a stretch in the pen for a bank job he carried out with his brother and a friend but for Earl there are no new beginnings when he comes out to the news his brother has been killed for his part in the job. This was no ordinary bank they hit it was a front for an organisation called The Outfit and now Earl is back to get compensation for his prison time and the last of his beloved brother.

God damn this was a fantastic film right from the off its fast paced with some great action great acting and some mighty fine music to boot. Robert Duval is as cool as they come smooth talking always keeping his head in tough situations he is all business all of the time not to be outdone Joe Don Baker also gives a great performance as Earls accomplish Jack Cody they two really work perfectly together.

The Outfit is one of those films where I have an excited knot in the pit of my stomach watching it because just how good it is. This is honestly one of the best films I have seen in some time. If you haven't seen this you owe it to yourself to change that straight away I absolutely LOVED every second of it.
Old 28th January 2024, 03:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yep, it's a keeper. It's been a while and all ... digging it out methinks
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
Old 28th January 2024, 06:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Isle (2019, Matthew Butler Hart)

When someone mentioned this one, I thought that I had it in the house somewhere.

3 sailors luckily find land after a disaster, the locals seem nice but ....

Hmm. A decent enough idea fell slightly flat due to the story structure and one performance in particular. Might have made a good 30 min short imho.
Thanks Demon. I mentioned this one on the "Is it Worth Buying" thread. Saw the DVD in HMV the other day and I was quite intrigued with the premise and the artwork.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Superman III. 1983.

Yep it's the Richard Pryor one that has a good comical opening and Superman flying in saving the day while planting a pie in the face of someone. Robert Vaughn is the industrial tycoon wanting everything possible along with his sister Annie Ross and mistress Pamela Stephenson tagging along. Managing a way not to kill Superman but finding a darker side to him and control him seems to work, and a new love interest for Clark from a high school sweetheart that was replaced when Margot Kidder got sidelined to a cameo role.

Not so much everyone's favourite but it does have it's moments of being good, not every film you see Gavan O'Herlihy get drunk and fall off his seat backwards, or a man surviving a good drop off a building in ski's or Annie Ross having a make over done by computer. I know I slated the previous film with the effects but this one has been touched up nicely with picture and sound quality.

Attachment 249726
1st ever Video Rental
Susan Foreman and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Zombie Holocaust. 1980.

A journalist teams up with some doctors after body parts from dead bodies go missing and witness a worker eating a heart. They travel to a island and meet up with a doctor who is performing strange experiments.

We got cannibals in a zombie flick or is it zombies in a cannibal flick either way Ian McCulloch turns up and tries to be the hero again like what he did in Zombie Flesh Eaters and i'm sure they used the same sets from that film for this one. Donald O'Brien turns up as the mad doctor who is performing the experiments and gives out a great line while someone is screaming.

It does have it's mash up and blood and gore, for it's time and budget director Marino Girolami wanted to give the audience great make up effects and doesn't really disappoint and some little nudity. Holding my hands up, I was never really that keen on this one but slowly warming up to it.

Attachment 249752
I remember being in HMV and having to choose between the VHS of this (Stonevision release) or Eaten Alive (VIPCO) as they were the same price, I chose Eaten Alive as I knew a little bit about the Film and had recently watched Cannibal Ferox. Anyway I realized that I had enough money to buy Zombie Holocaust the next day and quite frankly, I was very impressed with Zombie Holocaust, it had more Cannibalism that Eaten Alive, which I didn't realize at the time and was surprised.

Like this? Share it using the links below!