All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2024, 08:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Just got home from seeing it myself was gonna do a little write up it's an absolute blast I laughed loudly so many times at how brilliant it was.

Watch it as soon as you can

YOU WILL LOOOOVE IT.
Indeedy. Might watch it again the night.
I do wonder if an unrated one will surface .....
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st January 2024, 08:56 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The_Beekeeper_poster.jpg

Adam Clay is a quite man who just wants to live a quite life tending to his bees and making honey. He carries out his operation in an elderly woman's barn and the two become very close she is the only person that really cared for Adam so the bond is tight. Eloise Parker is caring lady who works hard and helps run a charity she is always looking out for others and helping where ever she can but the world is full of people who pray on the kindness and trusting of others for their own gain and Ms Parker becomes a victim of an online company that scam her and clear out all her bank accounts and take over two million dollars from her charity. Adam Clay doesn't take too kindly to people messing with the people he cares about and sets out to track down those involved.

Holy shit as I said last night The Beekeeper is just pure entertainment from start to finish Jason Statham is in his element busting heads in some brutal and hilarious ways I was laughing my head off so many times through this and not because it was stupid but because it was so awesome I felt giddy throughout

The story is pretty relevant to today with so many people who actually fall for online scams and with the amount of scam calls I get every day it was satisfying to see these people get what's coming to them.

Honestly my only complaint about the film was the female cop when you see it you will understand why Adam was trying to do the right thing by her and she just acted like a fool

As soon as you can you owe it to yourself to check this out fanbloodytastic.
Old 31st January 2024, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Serpent Island. 1954.

Mary Munday plays the young heroine in this who found her great grandfather's treasure map and decides to charter a boat by Sonny Tufts and Tom Monroe who travel to a island and both men seem to have the hots for the young lady and encounter, natives, voodoo and snakes. I ain't gonna say this is the best B movie I have sat through because it wasn't, decent setting and set pieces for the island and actually using real snakes in the shots. But the acting was awful, the delivery of the lines was almost laughable and in parts looked dubbed. The plot of the story is what can make the film a bit entertaining. Certainly one of those movies that is in the list of once you have seen it that's it for me IMHO.

MV5BNDc0ZGQwYmEtYzAwNS00M2YwLWI3YmEtN2Q5NmI2OGI4Y2NlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI2MDEwNA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 31st January 2024, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Castle Of Blood. 1964.

A journalist accepts a bet to spend the night in a castle on All Hallows Eve.

A great prime example of Italian horror that doesn't rely on a big budget or gore fest just a decent story based on Edgar Allen Poe and a atmospheric setting and great acting to pull it off. Georges Riviere plays the inquisitive English journalist (yeah the film is set in London) who answers to a bet by Umberto Raho stay the night in his family castle while being told a story by Mr Poe played by Silvano Tranquilli.

Barbara Steele plays the inhabitant of the castle who knows about her brother's wager and accompanied by jealous sister Margrete Robsahm, Barbara and Georges share good chemistry together on screen and that's why the film works and also we are shown the past and things that have happened behind the Gothic castle. What also makes the film work is the Black & White cinematography that helps you soak in the atmosphere, Originally title Danza Macabra for the Italian release that is certainly a great film to come back to and never be bored.

g3aoq9kn280l.jpg
Old 1st February 2024, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Argylle. 2024.

Bryce Dallas Howard plays the reclusive spy writer who is drawn into her own spy adventure.

Just came from the cinema from seeing this and totally loved it, I saw the trailer and thought it be a serious toned film but with Matthew Vaughn he adds in some comical moments. Adding Henry Caville and John Cena as a spy partnership seems a bit unreal but honestly they are a great duo. Sam Rockwell as a spy/hitman really hits the markn with the film along with Catherine O'Hara and Bryan Cranston just adds fuel to the fire along with some twist and turns. If you are a fan of Matthew Vaughn or wanting to see something different, i'd certainly recommend this even if you just want to see Samuel L. Jackson being himself.

95VlSEfLMqeX36UVcHJuNlWEpwf.jpg
Old 1st February 2024, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 249844

Adam Clay is a quite man who just wants to live a quite life tending to his bees and making honey. He carries out his operation in an elderly woman's barn and the two become very close she is the only person that really cared for Adam so the bond is tight. Eloise Parker is caring lady who works hard and helps run a charity she is always looking out for others and helping where ever she can but the world is full of people who pray on the kindness and trusting of others for their own gain and Ms Parker becomes a victim of an online company that scam her and clear out all her bank accounts and take over two million dollars from her charity. Adam Clay doesn't take too kindly to people messing with the people he cares about and sets out to track down those involved.

Holy shit as I said last night The Beekeeper is just pure entertainment from start to finish Jason Statham is in his element busting heads in some brutal and hilarious ways I was laughing my head off so many times through this and not because it was stupid but because it was so awesome I felt giddy throughout

The story is pretty relevant to today with so many people who actually fall for online scams and with the amount of scam calls I get every day it was satisfying to see these people get what's coming to them.

Honestly my only complaint about the film was the female cop when you see it you will understand why Adam was trying to do the right thing by her and she just acted like a fool

As soon as you can you owe it to yourself to check this out fanbloodytastic.
I really enjoyed this one however even though it's a somewhat unrealistic film, there is one plot hole that I can't seem to shake:

Surely the banks wouldn't transfer Millions without many checks.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st February 2024, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Anyone But You

After a misunderstanding, Glenn Powell and Sydney Sweeney are enemies but after 2 of their friends and family are getting married in Australia, they pretend to be lovers to keep the peace. Doesn't deviate from this type of genre, there are some funny sequences and Powell along with Bryan Brown are good in their roles but Sydney Sweeney is really wooden.

Soft And Quiet

A Schoolteacher has joined a group with other Women but the group has certain views which takes things way too far. A well done Film in which the reveal shocks you (If you don't know) and takes the opening School scene more shocking.

Tokyo Decadence

A young Japanese Prostitute starts to unravel as she suffers degradation. Some hardcore scenes which would shock fans of 50 Shades. While it looses it's way near the end, it is well done. It's worth doing some research before watching with others lol.

Argylle

Book Author gets entangled in Spy stuff. This is a Kingsmen Movie for under 15's. I really disliked this one, it was boring along with the script being a mess.

I can see this one being a Marmite Movie

Wag The Dog

When The President Of The U.S.A is entangled in a Scandal, it is up to Spin Doctor played by Robert De Niro along with Dustin Hoffman to create a war with Albania. Intelligently done with some funny moments and great support especially from William H. Macy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aby.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg saq.jpg (7.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg td.jpg (10.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (10.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wtd.jpg (10.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crypt Of The Vampire. 1964.

Christopher Lee takes the lead in this as Count Ludwig Karnstein who hires scholar Jose Campos to reconstruct a descendant of the family Scirra and reconstruct her life through portraits while dealing with a daughter who is having nightmares.

A decent made Italian horror that is based on the story of Carmilla and set in and around a dark Gothic castle that revolves around a generation family curse that the current generation are trying to find if it can be broken. Adriana Ambesi plays the daughter who has nightmares and may be possessed while those around her try to save her. What made this more interesting director Camillo Mastrocinque actually takes his time and never seems to rush about to the point it becomes boring and plotless and adds in one or two curve balls thanks to some creative writing. Certainly worth a look and best watched in the dark.

MV5BOTNhMmU1MjMtMzVjZC00ODNmLWI4NDctYWQ4ZTUwNGMxZGI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDUyOTUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Argylle

Book Author gets entangled in Spy stuff. This is a Kingsmen Movie for under 15's. I really disliked this one, it was boring along with the script being a mess.

I can see this one being a Marmite Movie
I thought the Argylle trailer looked silly and self-important, but also probably entertaining. I thought it was unlikely that I would enjoy it because it appeared I didn't think much of Kingsman: The Golden Circle and hated the way the first Kingsman film finished – the idea of the Swedish Princess 'owing' Eggsy anal sex was unnecessary and misogynistic. It detracted from what had been a thoroughly enjoyable and well-crafted action comedy.

It's something I'll probably watch when it's available on Prime or Disney+, but I'm not going to rush out to watch it at the cinema.

In terms of critics, The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw really didn't like Argylle:
Quote:
The rectangle of the screen itself seems to bend and twist into a giant self-satisfied smirk for this unbearably smug caper from director Matthew Vaughn. It has all the interest of a men’s magazine cover-shoot: thin, flimsy, lumbered with a dull meta-narrative and dodgy acting, and boasting a blank parade of phoned-in cameos from the supporting cast. Argylle is a high-concept elevator pitch stuck between floors, a piece of colourful would-be franchise content that Vaughn is tiresomely trying to fold into the extended universe of his other work.

[…]

This could theoretically be a fun movie, but it is all so self-conscious and self-admiring, with key action sequences rendered null and void by being played on two levels, the imaginary and the real, so cancelling each other out. The thought of Argylle 2 and Argylle 3 is very dispiriting. The books might do better.
Maggie Lovitt at Collider was much more favourable, giving it 8/10 and saying:
Quote:
At its core, it's a light-hearted spy romp that riffs on a lot of the soap-opera tropes that crossover into the realm of espionage. "Dumb fun" might get thrown around a lot with Vaughn's films, and it might be true, but Argylle does try to be smart in its execution.
But Alissa Wilkinson of the New York Times was unimpressed:
Quote:
“Argylle” was not, to my knowledge, written by A.I. (It was written by Jason Fuchs.) But it perfectly embodies the soulless, human-free feel that I worry about. It is ostensibly a tribute to spy movies of an earlier age, not clever enough to be a spoof and certainly not satire. But a homage shows affection for, understanding of and respect toward the thing it is honoring. “Argylle” feels pasted together by a robot manipulating some kind of spy Magnetic Poetry.

[…]

For every spy movie and trope in existence, there is some nod in “Argylle,” and they pile up at a dizzying pace that is meant to be funny but just feels like someone proving they did the reading. Similarly, the jokes throughout seem like they’re supposed to be laugh lines, but are really just a simulacrum of humor, quips without wit. You might manage a weak chuckle to break up the monotony, but that’s about it. “Genuinely unclear why I am not just watching a Bond movie right now,” I scribbled into my notes one full hour into the movie. There was still at least an hour and 20 minutes to go.

Perhaps the greatest sin of “Argylle,” besides dragging every expositional conversation to double length in case you were checking your texts when some vital plot point was revealed, is that it looks insanely ugly. A movie with a stupid, undercooked plot and unfunny funniness can be almost forgiven if it’s nice to look at — if, in other words, the one thing that distinguishes cinema as a visual art form was in fact attended to. But I went home from “Argylle” with a mild headache. The first few scenes look fake and silly, for reasons eventually revealed. But then, bafflingly, the fake look continues, an egregious example of what I think of as greenscreening; a faint but distinct glow around characters in certain scenes puts one in mind of bad Photoshopping, a new form of uncanny valley that indicates most of what we’re seeing is pure fakery.
Argylle does seem to have split critics, though there are a large number of reviews (just over half) who have given it 'middling' write-ups with fairly average scores.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/arg...ritic-reviews/
Old 2nd February 2024, 12:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Encanto (2021)

I watched Encanto last night for the fourth time and it’s an absolute delight, weaving together authentic Colombian music, stunning visuals, and a heartfelt storyline that resonates on cognitive and emotional levels.

At its core, Encanto is a story about family, identity, and self-discovery. Mirabel (Stephanie Beatriz), the protagonist, grapples with feeling overlooked in a family where everyone possesses extraordinary abilities. As she embarks on a journey to uncover the mysteries of her family's past, we are given a touching exploration of acceptance, belonging, and the power of love. Her family comprises an eclectic range of characters who are all wonderfully crafted and relatable, each struggling with their own insecurities and vulnerabilities, which adds depth and authenticity to the narrative.

As with Mary Poppins Returns and Moana, Lin-Manuel Miranda's songs are a standout feature, infusing the film with distinctive South American rhythm and memorable lyrics that I found myself humming long after the credits roll. Visually, the animation is a feast for the eyes, with every frame bursting with colour and detail, creating a rich and immersive world that draws viewers in from the very beginning. (The 4K Ultra HD is much more vibrant and detailed than the Blu-ray disc, mostly because of the HDR, so buy it on this format if you can.)

Encanto is a triumph of storytelling, blending magical elements with universal themes that would resonate with all ages. Its charm lies not only in its amazing visuals and uplifting music, but also in its ability to convey profound messages about the importance of embracing one's differences and cherishing the bonds of family. With its endearing characters and timeless story, Encanto is better than some of Pixar’s recent films (I’m thinking of Lightyear, Elemental, and Onward) and should become a beloved family film in the Disney canon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!