LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2023, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
A Haunting In Venice

Kenneth Brannagh is back as Hercule Poirot and is happily retired in Venice but has a queue outside his residence (His Bodyguard is quite funny in the opening sequence) but when a Author played by Tina Fey tempts him into investigating a mysterious death which has hauntings and during a Séance, other happenings occur.

TBH, I wasn't expecting much from this one but I gave it a go and it's actually not all that bad, it certainly kept my attention. Apparently this one is flopping and it's quite similar to the Narnia Movies, everybody was interested by the 1st Movie in the series but not the others.
I was looking at the novel of this at lunchtime in Asda today.

Not sure what i was expecting, probably an adaptation of the film but the novel is actually Agatha Christie's Halloween Party.

Fair enough but it's nothing like the actual movie because i've seen the Poirot episode a couple of times including last October and it's really not the same as the new film other than the use of character names. The Christie novel is set in an English country house for a start and it's a party not a seance with no hint of the supernatural whatsoever.

I'd have bought the novel had Christie written A Haunting in Venice but wasn't bothered about buying a novel of Halloween Party.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 19th September 2023, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of the cooler Poundland purchases from a couple of years ago.

I paid full price for my Blu-ray on release day and I’ve never watched it haha. It has a nice slip cover though. I’ll fetch it out for the watch pile this weekend!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th September 2023, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I was looking at the novel of this at lunchtime in Asda today.

Not sure what i was expecting, probably an adaptation of the film but the novel is actually Agatha Christie's Halloween Party.

Fair enough but it's nothing like the actual movie because i've seen the Poirot episode a couple of times including last October and it's really not the same as the new film other than the use of character names. The Christie novel is set in an English country house for a start and it's a party not a seance with no hint of the supernatural whatsoever.

I'd have bought the novel had Christie written A Haunting in Venice but wasn't bothered about buying a novel of Halloween Party.

It makes sense now why Waterstones had loads of copies of Halloween Party on display when I was browsing this weekend. I honestly thought it was just because October soon haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th September 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It makes sense now why Waterstones had loads of copies of Halloween Party on display when I was browsing this weekend. I honestly thought it was just because October soon haha.
It's a proper con job though, the novel i saw.

It needs a disclaimer

Warning - Has f*ck all to do with the 20th Century Fox film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41rhXF7eMTL._SY445_SX342_.jpg (17.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 20th September 2023, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Fallen Angels (2006)

A nineteenth century prison due for demolition is found to hold the remains of children. As the investigators begin digging around they unknowingly unleash seven demons responsible for seven deadly sins.

Although i've seen this four or five times over the years it's a film that flatters to deceive. It's largely a few gory set pieces placed in between lengthy scenes of one to one chat. With the film made so that it's lengthy list of 'names' - Bill Moseley, Michael Dorn, Martin Kove, David Hess, Reggie Bannister, Michael Berryman and Kevin McCarthy all get at least one lengthy piece of dialogue. Whilst latter Jason Vorhees, Kane Hodder, kills the majority of them off whilst in demonic guise.

Although deeply flawed and poorly constructed it's at least fun watching Commander Worf and Otis Firefly as CSI for ninety minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fallen-angels-2006-us-poster.jpg (73.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 20th September 2023, 09:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've just watched the first few minutes of Sleepy Hollow to see what the new Blu-ray release was like seeing as the last one was said to be poor.

Delighted with it.

A lovely 1:78:1 picture that fills the whole screen. Colours are bright in daylight and even the muted colours of night have a nice sharp image to them.

The sound, a 5:1 Master Audio dts track is crystal clear and deep when it needs to be.

I only watched until Christopher Lee had said a few lines then turned it off. I could have watched it all there and then.

Saving it for late October. Quite excited to watch it now.
I notice this has sold out on Amazon now.

It doesn't say 'Back in stock soon' either.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th September 2023, 10:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I notice this has sold out on Amazon now.

It doesn't say 'Back in stock soon' either.
I read your first post with the assumption I had the Blu-ray release of Sleepy Hollow. I just checked my collection and I only have the DVD, so now I am really annoyed with myself!

Anyhow, it's not as if I don't have enough to watch and it won't be available again, so I am not too upset.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 20th September 2023, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bad Dreams (1988, Andrew Fleming)

If people had mentioned that the first face I see is Richard Lynch, I might have watched this at the time
Loony flick about a coma patient. Just bonkers. Claret too. Lawdy.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st September 2023, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Madman (1981)

A rewatch of the Anchor Bay dvd to see if it warranted an upgrade to Blu-ray.

Absolutely not. This is one terrible backwoods slasher, and i say slasher with a pinch of salt. It's so boring. A complete waste of shelf space.

Cex will give me a quid credit for the dvd. Goodbye Madman, never to return.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p77493_p_v8_aa.jpg (18.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st September 2023, 11:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

I loved it, it's awesome.

Like this? Share it using the links below!