All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2023, 09:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Madman (1981)

A rewatch of the Anchor Bay dvd to see if it warranted an upgrade to Blu-ray.

Absolutely not. This is one terrible backwoods slasher, and i say slasher with a pinch of salt. It's so boring. A complete waste of shelf space.

Cex will give me a quid credit for the dvd. Goodbye Madman, never to return.
I remember the old AB dvd being practically unwatchable the picture quality was so bad.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 22nd September 2023, 02:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I remember the old AB dvd being practically unwatchable the picture quality was so bad.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
The picture is fine, sound as well.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 22nd September 2023, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I knew Madman would have it's fans. Those derivative eighties slashers always do.

The fact nothing happens for the most part i expect Frankie to love it. The film makers needed lessons in how to pace a horror film.
Old 22nd September 2023, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran

I had to check Letterboxd to see if I'd watched Madman, because I remember nothing about it, which isn't unusual for these type of films, but no I've never logged it and I don't have the blu either, so lucky escape it seems

I was thinking that maybe I had, but I was thinking of Lieberman's Just Before Dawn, which I have definitely seen and have it in the collection
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd September 2023, 05:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I had to check Letterboxd to see if I'd watched Madman, because I remember nothing about it, which isn't unusual for these type of films, but no I've never logged it and I don't have the blu either, so lucky escape it seems

I was thinking that maybe I had, but I was thinking of Lieberman's Just Before Dawn, which I have definitely seen and have it in the collection
Just Before Dawn is way better than Madman. Very enjoyable.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 22nd September 2023, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

In Teenage Wasteland, Kerswell and co say Madman has the cheesiest acting committed to celluloid with one or two suspenseful sequences.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I found Madman interesting, but a revisit is always open in this demon's house.

Watching a mate's Exorcist BD, just to remind myself of how brilliant it is before this new palaver comes and makes us all wee with the laughter. Ahem. It's looks bonny, but yet again its the ST that impresses most. I'm only at the surgery and michty. Back soon!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2023, 12:08 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I knew Madman would have it's fans. Those derivative eighties slashers always do.

The fact nothing happens for the most part i expect Frankie to love it. The film makers needed lessons in how to pace a horror film.
I didn't rate it when i had the AB dvd, the only things I remember was that he was called Madman Marz, had a big chopper and I think Gaylen Ross was in it from Dawn of the dead.

Still I enjoyed it more than Nailgun Massacre, as far as slasher stuff goes, the fact that slashers are so basic tends to mean you either dig it or it's shite.

To me The Burning is only average but i love Rosemary's Killer (The Prowler) and My Bloody Valentine. who knows? makes no sense to me.

I would like to see a UK company release "The Final Terror' though even though it ain't all that, so there you go.
As you were...

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd September 2023, 12:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Madman (1981)

A rewatch of the Anchor Bay dvd to see if it warranted an upgrade to Blu-ray.

Absolutely not. This is one terrible backwoods slasher, and i say slasher with a pinch of salt. It's so boring. A complete waste of shelf space.

Cex will give me a quid credit for the dvd. Goodbye Madman, never to return.
I watched it again a while back and I agree it's pretty boring and a very ugly annoying cast too
Old 23rd September 2023, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I didn't rate it when i had the AB dvd, the only things I remember was that he was called Madman Marz, had a big chopper and I think Gaylen Ross was in it from Dawn of the dead.

Still I enjoyed it more than Nailgun Massacre, as far as slasher stuff goes, the fact that slashers are so basic tends to mean you either dig it or it's shite.

To me The Burning is only average but i love Rosemary's Killer (The Prowler) and My Bloody Valentine. who knows? makes no sense to me.

I would like to see a UK company release "The Final Terror' though even though it ain't all that, so there you go.
As you were...
I agree about The Burning being only average. Take a way that lake massacre and i doubt it would be memorable at all. Madman's basically the same film but much worse.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!