Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2023, 10:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Creator (2023, Gareth Edwards)

He knows his stuff, does the Gareth.
It all looks impressive enough.
It's just that it ... skates over so many many things (like logic) ... harmuph etc. Yes, I suspended as hard as a demon can, but when it began to reach Avatar levels of silliness, it all unravels. You all may feel differently.
Me, I'm off back to the first DTV actioner I can lay my claws on ....

Skyscraper it is.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th November 2023, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Murders In The Rue Morgue. 1932.

Bela Lugosi dominates this rather fascinating little foray into terror, his mad mesmerizing eyes & theatrical gestures a natural complement to the film.

Set in Paris during the late 19th Century, "Murders in the Rue Morgue" is the tale of a series of unsolved crimes where women are abducted and murdered by an unknown method. Since the murders began to take place after a carnival arrived to the city.

This is not exactly a faithful adaptation of Poe's short story, it focuses more on the reasons behind the murders than on the investigation done to solve the case. It is because of this reason that it is Dr. Mirakle who is in the spotlight while Poe's famous character, Dupin, has been transformed from cunning detective to a young student of medicine. It's still an effective tale of horror and mystery that keeps the classic Universal feeling to the dark and atmosphere.

Murders_in_the_Rue_Morgue_(1932_poster).jpg
Old 16th November 2023, 07:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sex and the City: The Movie (2008)

Although i really enjoyed both the series when it was first released on dvd and the two movies likewise, seeing this on Blu-ray some fifteen years later gave me mixed feelings.

Yes, much of it was a lot of fun yet it also shows how empty, self centred and vacuous these forty something women are, Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie and Cynthia Nixon's whiny Miranda in particular.

It's a rare film that can be great one minute then horrendously annoying the next and back to great again, but this manages it time and time again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (97.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th November 2023, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Although i really enjoyed both the series when it was first released on dvd and the two movies likewise, seeing this on Blu-ray some fifteen years later gave me mixed feelings.

Yes, much of it was a lot of fun yet it also shows how empty, self centred and vacuous these forty something women are, Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie and Cynthia Nixon's whiny Miranda in particular.

It's a rare film that can be great one minute then horrendously annoying the next and back to great again, but this manages it time and time again.
I liked the first one. The sequel was awful.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th November 2023, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hated everything about the Sex and the City film, from the self-absorbed and shallow characters to the glorification of expensive footwear and the bloated running time.

It isn't as downright putrid as the sequel, which is even more irritating and offensive, also managing to be racist as well.
Old 16th November 2023, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bowery At Midnight. 1942.

Bela in a dual identity role, he plays a college professor who runs a soup kitchen but also is a career criminal using his soup kitchen as a front.

Generally good fun for any Bela fan, and the star likewise looks like he's enjoying himself, playing these different facets to the same character. The film moves fast, and borders itself with the sci-fi, horror and crime genre by having one of Belas' associates be a disgraced doctor who's now a mad scientist played by Lew Kelly. Made on a shoe string budget this was entertaining.

MV5BOTY0YjA1MTYtMmFjYi00NmU5LTllYzctNGY0YzgwNGExYTE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_.jpg
Old 16th November 2023, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Righteous Kill (2008)

Two veteran cops are on the hunt for a serial killer who may just be one of their own.

Director John Avnet throws in plenty of red herrings which are easily seen through in this average at best crime flick. Sadly it's devoid of any sort of suspense and wastes the team up of Al Pacino and Robert De Niro - for the first time since Michael Mann's ridiculously superior Heat (1995) - with cliched dialogue and a nondescript 'er script lacking thrills but oddly enough it's never boring.

There's worse out there, and although tonight was i think the third time i've watched this, it remains a disappointment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Righteous_kill_ver2.jpg (24.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th November 2023, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Airplane II: The Sequel (Ken Finkleman)

Comedy reflects the period it was created.
Take this cash grab that recycles some of the first films moments whilst shoring that up with some material that would trigger plenty of folk. Across the board. This is the crux of the matter, in that you try and replicate lightning in a bottle. That's cocaine for you, I suppose.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th November 2023, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Cat. 1941.

A old woman gathers her greedy relatives to the pre-reading of her will, yet when she dies everyone is a sispect.

It's hardly a classic from the old dark house murder mystery treadmill, but The Black Cat is enormous fun and gets the sub-genre staples spot on. It's a big old fashioned mansion that is host to the creepy shenanigans, complete with secret passageways, revolving booths, suits of armour and roaring fires. There's even a creepy cat crematorium annex in the grounds. This was more comedy rather than horror amd a good remark to Basil Rathnone being Sherlock Holmes.

MV5BMmNlZDhjYzItMDhkNC00M2JjLWEyNTktYTg5NTQzZGI3YTQwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@.jpg
Old 17th November 2023, 03:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema today to see Thanksgiving. A year after a fatal stampede at a Black Friday event, someone begins enacting vengeance against those he deems responsible. This throwback slasher flick does exactly what it says on the tin and is pretty enjoyable as a result. Cute girls, gorily OTT murders, dark humour and a madman in a mask. There's a reason for the formula, folks. It works. I had a fun time with this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!