All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2023, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

3 From Hell (2019)

A decade on from events in The Devil's Rejects (2005) in which Bill Moseley's Otis Firefly and Richard Brake's Winslow 'Foxy' Coltrane go all Bogart in Desperate Hours on prison warden Jeff Daniel Phillips at his family home in a bid to get Baby (Sheri Moon) released from Death Row, before ultimately holing up south of the border where the three have to take on a Mexican drug cartel out for revenge following the Firefly families killing of former boss Danny Trejo in the earlier film.

Sadly due to Sid Haig's poor health (He passed away just after the film's release) he was written out after only a single scene which was poignant in a way only murderous, foul mouthed washed up clowns can be. However Brake makes for an excellent addition to the Firefly clan as Otis' half brother especially in his banter with Moseley. However this is Sheri Moon Zombie's film all the way. She produces a stunning performance. Anyone who thought Baby was a depraved lunatic previously ain't seen nothing yet as Moon steals the film in each and every scene.

I'm not sure how they manage it but together (as with the two previous films) creator Rob Zombie and actors Moseley, Moon and Brake somehow make three of the most repulsive and terrifying individuals into very cool anti-heroes that electrify the screen.

The film ends in now trademark Zombie style on a similar note (minus the road block shoot out) of an open desert highway and a soaring heli-cam...

I loved this once again seeing it for the third or fourth time last night.
Old 15th November 2023, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Killer (2023, David Fincher)

For all its tiny flaws, this is probably my film of the year. Not just because the ST is littered with Smiths songs either! (some are poorly used cough). Fassbender does that emotionless thang again. Fun flick.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th November 2023, 05:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Killer (2023, David Fincher)

For all its tiny flaws, this is probably my film of the year. Not just because the ST is littered with Smiths songs either! (some are poorly used cough). Fassbender does that emotionless thang again. Fun flick.
I’ve just literally started it 20 min ago, on pause because someone come door, brewing up, and taking faith for a walk before restarting it
Old 15th November 2023, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoy then!!
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th November 2023, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Monster. 1942.

Ralph Morgan is the old rich crippled recluse who invites his doctors to his manor and someone or something is bumping off his guests.

We have a country manor shrouded in mist in the middle of nowhere, a few medical doctors and Bela Lugosi as a butler, what is more creepier than that? Even though Lugosi and Lionel Atwill were big names back then, they have mere co starring roles but never let that put you off this as they never disappoint. The film is still excellent and most of this is due to the excellent writing. The story is quite original and although I could guess early on who was committing all the murders, the way it was handled was very clever. This never gets dull or boring despite how many times you watch it.

Night-Monster.jpg
Old 15th November 2023, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Final Programme (1973)

A trio of scientists plan to create a self-replicating, immortal, hermaphrodite using the Final Programme developed by a dead, Nobel Prize-winning scientist. Meanwhile Jon Finch as Jerry Cornelius - Nobel Prize winner, rock star and secret agent - embarks on a quest to free his sister from the clutches of his evil brother Frank.

If i said this was based on a Michael Moorcock novel of the same name that's probably all you need to know about this bonkers but delightfully stylish slice of British dystopian future science fiction. Director Robert Fuest does his best to make sure the plot doesn't get in the way of the stunning visuals.

For such a warped oddity this features an amazing cast of veteran actors as well as cult actresses Jenny Runacre and Julie Ege.

Whilst the story may not be the least bit memorable the imagery will stay with you. Think The Avengers, Fuest's Dr. Phibes films, A Clockwork Orange and perhaps a bit of Bond too not to mention a psychedelic splash of Monty Python and you might be halfway there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (93.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th November 2023, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Invisible Ray. 1935.

Just as Lugosi went wild in The Raven, much needs to be said of Karloff's hamming in The Invisible Ray. The one aspect of the story that is particularly unsatisfying is that Karloff's character, Rukh, acts so madly before he is poisoned. The Invisible Ray is a fun film, and a real treat to the true Karloff and Lugosi fans. It is one of those films that improves on each viewing, not because it is a masterpiece, but because of the charisma and talent of it's stars and how this story complements the darker, more horrific pairings they had. The film is good on many grounds, the most interesting that for a change Karloff and Lugosi are not unsympathetic towards each other. Universal obviously planned this as a low budget feature, but the sets are impressive, all the technical credits are more than adequate, and the story is well paced and effective throughout.

MV5BMTQzMDc4NjE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzIwNTk1MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 15th November 2023, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Renegades

Kiefer Sutherland is a Undercover Cop who teams up with Lou Diamond Phillips when the Mobster he is investigating (Robert Knepper) steals a sacred Spear from The Native American Community. It's not bad but it's nothing I haven't seen before and TBH, I've seen a lot better. Worth it if it's on TV/Streaming but not an expensive DVD/Blu-Ray purchase.

Royal Hotel

Two Canadian Girls get jobs working in a very remote Pub in The Australian Outback but after a while things start getting uncomfortable with the locals. Watching the Trailer and having a 18 certificate (Only for strong language), I was expecting a thrilling climax and whilst the tension was there, I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't even though there was a decent build.

Watch if it's on streaming but if they had nailed the ending, it would be a really good Film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (14.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rh.jpg (11.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th November 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Street Kings (2008)

A detective, as played by Keanu Reeves, is implicated in the murder of a fellow officer during a hold up at a convenience store and must struggle to clear himself as he uncovers a web of corruption with Internal Affairs closing in on him.

Written by L.A. Confidential's James Ellroy, Street Kings, although not in the same league as that classic is still a solid slice of modern L.A. noir.

Director David Ayer delivers an accomplished film, as well he should having written the scripts for earlier acclaimed L.A. cop / crime sagas Training Day (2001) and Dark Blue (2002) and he's helped by the reliable Forest Whitaker as Reeves' boss and Hugh Laurie as the Internal Affairs captain apparently investigating Reeves. It's not often John Wick and Captain America team up together but they do here as Chris Evans also plays a prominent role in the movie.

In a way Street Kings is slick and perhaps formulaic yet ultimately satisfying entertainment that occasionally feels like watching a highlights reel from the groundbreaking police drama The Shield (2002-08) but believe me when i say that's not a bad thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Street_Kings-601077514-large.jpg (94.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th November 2023, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Final Programme (1973)

A trio of scientists plan to create a self-replicating, immortal, hermaphrodite using the Final Programme developed by a dead, Nobel Prize-winning scientist. Meanwhile Jon Finch as Jerry Cornelius - Nobel Prize winner, rock star and secret agent - embarks on a quest to free his sister from the clutches of his evil brother Frank.

If i said this was based on a Michael Moorcock novel of the same name that's probably all you need to know about this bonkers but delightfully stylish slice of British dystopian future science fiction. Director Robert Fuest does his best to make sure the plot doesn't get in the way of the stunning visuals.

For such a warped oddity this features an amazing cast of veteran actors as well as cult actresses Jenny Runacre and Julie Ege.

Whilst the story may not be the least bit memorable the imagery will stay with you. Think The Avengers, Fuest's Dr. Phibes films, A Clockwork Orange and perhaps a bit of Bond too not to mention a psychedelic splash of Monty Python and you might be halfway there.
The book is unfilmable
Funnily enough, the second in that series would be right "modern" as JC is a black woman in it. Truth.
MacBlayne and nicholasrope like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!