Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2024, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Angel Enforcers (1989, Godfrey Ho)

Four female police officers are tasked with tracking down a nefarious diamond theft. Well, that's what we start with anyhow
The usual madness (this time without any "added bits" ahem), as logic and sanity leave by the window. Lots of fighting, and boy I hope they pay their stunt folk a lot harumph.
Recommended to those who follow the Ho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th January 2024, 07:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

While transporting a truck full of drums of Trioxin a couple of bungling military fools accidently lose some of the drums. Later a couple of kids find one of the drums and as kids do they cant leave things alone and manage to release some of the gas within and they end up unleashing the undead on a unsuspecting town.

While the film is all action right from the get go it's not a patch on the first film which to me is one of the greatest horrors ever. Although we do have the same two from the first film they just don't have the chemistry they did first time around the over the top acting screaming and panicking was the fun and charm of both of them and while they try the same it just feels a little forced and faked.

The undead don't look like undead they look like people on masks and their walking is pretty terrible saying that there are some really fun effects like the legs walking around on their own and then the skin getting steamed off the torso of the same body.

Although entertaining even as a stand alone film not taking the first or the brilliant third film in the series into consideration this isn't one I go back to very often actually rarely ever. TheReturnOfTheLivingDead2.jpg

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2024, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monster Brawl. 2011.

For the fans of wrestling, this has a assortment of professional wrestlers from Kevin Nash, Robert Maillet, Holly Letkeman and who can forget The Mouth From The South Jimmy Hart...and yes he does use his speaker. Set in a cemetery, a batch of monsters, Wolf Man, The Mummy, Vampire, Muck Man and Witch Bitch battle it out to be champion. Even from the title you know this isn't to be taken seriously but did bring in some laughs, even though Lance Henriksen is the voice of God and announcer and you get Art Hindle on commentary doing a bad J.R. impression.

MV5BMTMxMTgwMTQ3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY4OTc0NA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 8th January 2024, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Adventures of a Taxi Driver (1976)

Amiable enough saucy comedy starring Barry Evans as a London cabbie forever on the pull.

Some creditable names pop up such as Judy Geeson, Diana Dors, Robert Lindsay as well as comedy regulars Liz Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Brian Wilde and Henry McGee but Adrienne Posta steals the show as Evans long suffering 'bird'. Also it's fun seeing Jane Hayden, sister of Linda, who must have been busy.

As i said, amiable enough smut but not exactly laugh out loud funny.

The Indicator Blu-ray is average at best as far as image quality goes.
Old 9th January 2024, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Angel Guts 5: Red Vertigo 1988, Takashi Ishii)

Rather grim wee pinkku.
A nurse has the worst day possible, then things go downhill past ...
Luckily only 73 min, I felt at points that I was watching some Asian Mike Leigh flick ahem.
Hmmm.

Day Of The Cobra (1980, EG Castellari)

Franco Nero gets out of jail and is tasked with a mission that may reveal the architects of his demise. Some fun here and a rather insistent ST made this one a hoot. He wanders about in an outfit that reminds me of Closeau cough. Oh, and Sybil Danning pops up now and then. Great theme songs also ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th January 2024, 12:28 PM
Cult Master

The Vatican sends their head exorcist to Spain where he must battle a demon who has possessed a small child. Although there are members of the Vatican that are trying to discredit Fr Amorth the pope has faith in him and the demon has asked for Fr Amorth personally. While in Spain it becomes clear the Church are trying to hide something and that's why they are trying so hard to remove him.

This really surprises me I was expecting the usual rubbish possession film but what I got was an interesting take that felt a little different maybe mainly due to Russell Crowes great performance. Fr Amorth is a tough customer but he also has a sense of humour which is another weapon in his arsenal cause they devil hate jokes . Another positive was that they didn't go down the jump scare route I didn't find it creepy I just found it entertaining and interesting that might sound like a negative but its not it just felt natural rather than forcing scares.

Great acting good story nice setting and Russell Crowe riding around on a vespa in red shades F*** YEAH.

Expect nothing you may enjoy this one too.MV5BYTI1NTcxMGYtZDZiYi00NmM3LTgwNjAtNmFkY2FmMjEyMjM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MDk2NDg2._V1_.jpg

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk
Old 9th January 2024, 01:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

Russell Crowe riding around on a vespa in red shades F*** YEAH.
To Faith No More.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 9th January 2024, 04:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Panic-at-Year-Zero-1962-poster.jpg
PANIC IN YEAR ZERO (1964)

Ray Milland and his family are lucky enough to be up in the hills when Los Angeles and other places around the world are hit by a series of nuclear explosions.
Taking the initiative straight away, Ray heads off to various shops to buy supplies of food, fuel and weapons. Aware that very soon supplies will run short in stores by fleeing people in panic, and that the threat of people willing to cause them harm is very real..

Good movie, focusing more on a families attempts to escape up in the hills than showing any bomb devastation.
Ray Milland has his head screwed on tight as he takes charge to keep his family safe from anything and anyone. A man with a constant plan.
Old 9th January 2024, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

I watched the full four hour cut all in one go last night and for the most part it flew by. The additional characterisation makes it a much better film than the original version and the films best parts usually involved discourse, especially scenes with Henry Cavill's Clark Kent, Amy Adams' Lois Lane and or Diane Lane's Martha Kent, whilst Ben Affleck came across a lot more personable Batman.

Where the film became a chore were the monotonous CGI shit fest action scenes of which there were f*ckin' loads and more often than not identical. Somebody should ban Snyder from going near a green screen ever again. Even the scenes on Paradise Island with the Amazons were bloody green screen. What the hell happened to location shooting. It all looked so artificial and really grated at first but you know, when it's four hours you kinda' get used to it.

Aside from this i quite enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zack_Snyder's_Justice_League.jpg (71.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th January 2024, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

I watched the full four hour cut all in one go last night and for the most part it flew by. The additional characterisation makes it a much better film than the original version and the films best parts usually involved discourse, especially scenes with Henry Cavill's Clark Kent, Amy Adams' Lois Lane and or Diane Lane's Martha Kent, whilst Ben Affleck came across a lot more personable Batman.

Where the film became a chore were the monotonous CGI shit fest action scenes of which there were f*ckin' loads and more often than not identical. Somebody should ban Snyder from going near a green screen ever again. Even the scenes on Paradise Island with the Amazons were bloody green screen. What the hell happened to location shooting. It all looked so artificial and really grated at first but you know, when it's four hours you kinda' get used to it.

Aside from this i quite enjoyed it.
It wasn't just me who thought the 4 hours flew by, this is up for a re-watch at some time

Like this? Share it using the links below!