All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2024, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mad Mission 3 (1984)

This time out our intrepid trio have to battle Neil Connery
Extremely Bond in nature (Odd Job also turns up), we get a wacky set piece at the Eiffel Tower etc etc.
Somewhat more screwball than the last effort, this was an enjoyable, light hearted watch. Look forward to the 4th (fingers crossed for some space shenanigans ).

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 18th February 2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 18th February 2024, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I Know Who Killed Me (2007)

When top student Aubrey Fleming (Lindsay Lohan) goes missing it appears she's the latest victim of a serial killer with an amputee fetish. Then she turns up alive, albeit horribly maimed, missing fingers, her hand and the bottom half of one leg. Worst of all to her parents and the police she insists she's not Aubrey but an erotic dancer called Dakota Moss.

I was feeling a bit tired last night so opted for a dvd rewatch rather than anything on the to-watch pile in case i dozed off. I needn't have worried.

Second time round i really enjoyed it. It's a twisty, perverse, gory, and fascinating psycho thriller reminiscent of the work of Dario Argento in it's vibrantly colourful style, De Palma in it's unending twistiness and even Hitchcock in it's blacker than black humour. Director Chris Sivertson also coaxes a terrific performance out the much maligned Lohan who clearly depicts the differences in both girls even though she certainly seems more suited to the role of stripper.

Following early scenes which wouldn't have been out of place in any high school comedy and the rest of the film is a stylish, grim and at times grisly horror thriller which is well worth watching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who_killed_me_post.jpg (12.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th February 2024, 02:30 PM
Cult Master

No one told me 'Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse' was a 'part one'

I have just struggled thru almost 2.5 hours of a film only for it to end with a "...to be continued"!

If I'd have known that, I would have waited a few years and got both volumes at the same time

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th February 2024, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post

I have just struggled thru almost 2.5 hours of a film only for it to end with a "...to be continued"!

If I'd have known that, I would have waited a few years and got both volumes at the same time
It shouldn't have been a struggle, it's a great watch (imho).
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th February 2024, 03:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I struggled with the many different styles of animation that was used in the film, and it's been a long time since I saw 'Into The Spiderverse' so had forgot a lot of things that happened in that one

I *do* like the Spiderman films, and think Peter Parker (and the struggles he has as he grows up) is one of the best and most believable characters in the MCU
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th February 2024, 04:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies. 1999.

The Djinn is awaken once more and must collect souls to bring upon the apocalypse.

Andrew Divoff returns as the Djinn who tries to bring on the wishes to unsuspecting souls while in prison where he can have his pick of souls to help him his achieve his goal of starting the apocalypse onto the world. Holly Fields plays Morgana who accidentally unleashes the Djinn during a botched robbery and now has nightmares of the Wishmaster and tries to find a way to stop her enemy using religion with Paul Johansson. This sequel went straight to the dvd pile and to be honest this wasn't too bad, ok there is a bit of tongue in cheek humour and some dodgy special effects but all in all the acting was decent enough along with the plot that may seem daft but does work. It's not on the same par as the first film but certainly worth a gander at.

MV5BZDEwZmI5YjYtZjJhYy00ZDkzLWIyOWMtOTVmNDRiMzI2ZjhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 18th February 2024, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The reviews for this have been horrendously bad.
Not saying it's a great film because it has it's faults but seeing as I didn't have to pay to see it and had low expectations, I've seen worse and prefer it over the pretentious releases with good reviews.
Old 18th February 2024, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I Know Who Killed Me (2007)

When top student Aubrey Fleming (Lindsay Lohan) goes missing it appears she's the latest victim of a serial killer with an amputee fetish. Then she turns up alive, albeit horribly maimed, missing fingers, her hand and the bottom half of one leg. Worst of all to her parents and the police she insists she's not Aubrey but an erotic dancer called Dakota Moss.

I was feeling a bit tired last night so opted for a dvd rewatch rather than anything on the to-watch pile in case i dozed off. I needn't have worried.

Second time round i really enjoyed it. It's a twisty, perverse, gory, and fascinating psycho thriller reminiscent of the work of Dario Argento in it's vibrantly colourful style, De Palma in it's unending twistiness and even Hitchcock in it's blacker than black humour. Director Chris Sivertson also coaxes a terrific performance out the much maligned Lohan who clearly depicts the differences in both girls even though she certainly seems more suited to the role of stripper.

Following early scenes which wouldn't have been out of place in any high school comedy and the rest of the film is a stylish, grim and at times grisly horror thriller which is well worth watching.
This is quite possibly the most positive review of this film that I've seen lol.
Old 18th February 2024, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Quote:
I struggled with the many different styles of animation that was used in the film, and it's been a long time since I saw 'Into The Spiderverse' so had forgot a lot of things that happened in that one

I *do* like the Spiderman films, and think Peter Parker (and the struggles he has as he grows up) is one of the best and most believable characters in the MCU
I completely agree with your last point as Peter Parker's character arc is one most relatable and accessible in any superhero story.

I also agree with SymbioticFunction about Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse being a great watch. I think it is one of the most ambitious and engaging animated films in the last few decades, and a thoroughly enjoyable action-adventure which is the equal of the similarly brilliant Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

It's very high on my 'to buy' list so I can watch it again and as part of a double bill whenever Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse is released in cinemas. The animated films are visually stunning, funny, and hugely entertaining, ranking among the best superhero films ever made.
Old 18th February 2024, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Take

An American Pickpocket in Paris accidentally steals a Bomb and it goes off making him France's most wanted but a Secret Agent played by Idris Elba is on the hunt as another conspiracy is in play. This is another of those Action Films that a dime a dozen but I found it to be a rather enjoyable little flick.

Soapdish

1991 Comedy based on the Cast And Crew of an American Soap Opera which has a lot of backstabbing and dirty tricks. Starring Sally Field, Robert Downey JR and Whoopi Goldberg, this again was a decent effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt.jpg (14.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!