Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I enjoyed that one myself

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th March 2024, 12:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sleepless. 2001.

Max Von Sydow is the police detective hunting down a killer, 17 years later, now retired the killings start again. He teams with a amateur sleuth Stefano Dionisi who Max had promised to find the killer back in the day. The city of Turin is the setting for this movie and shows us why Dario is the master of the modern day Giallo genre, The creepy atmosphere right from the start with a bloodied body, Max showing empathy towards the young boy and then thrown back in to the deep end. Then it becomes a good game of cat and mouse with twist and turns mixed with Argento's flare for the gruesome killings that never disappoint. Been trying to find a decent release and managed it and certainly not disappointed.

Sleepless_(2001_film).jpeg
Old 4th March 2024, 01:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Sleepless. 2001.

Max Von Sydow is the police detective hunting down a killer, 17 years later, now retired the killings start again. He teams with a amateur sleuth Stefano Dionisi who Max had promised to find the killer back in the day. The city of Turin is the setting for this movie and shows us why Dario is the master of the modern day Giallo genre, The creepy atmosphere right from the start with a bloodied body, Max showing empathy towards the young boy and then thrown back in to the deep end. Then it becomes a good game of cat and mouse with twist and turns mixed with Argento's flare for the gruesome killings that never disappoint. Been trying to find a decent release and managed it and certainly not disappointed.

Attachment 250244
If you can, it's worth checking out in Italian. It's a shame to loose the Max von Sydow voice but it's a much better experience. A good example is the killer raving/ranting to the prostitute at the beginning of the film, it sounds much more sinister in Italian. btw My wife previously always thought that one of the actresses gave a terrible performance until I showed her that version (then she realised it was just because of a dodgy English dub).
Old 4th March 2024, 02:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
If you can, it's worth checking out in Italian. It's a shame to loose the Max von Sydow voice but it's a much better experience. A good example is the killer raving/ranting to the prostitute at the beginning of the film, it sounds much more sinister in Italian. btw My wife previously always thought that one of the actresses gave a terrible performance until I showed her that version (then she realised it was just because of a dodgy English dub).
Will give that a checking out
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th March 2024, 02:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devil's Pass. 2013.

A group of students head into Russia to research a mystery known as The Dyatlov Pass Incident.

This is one of those true incidents that happened in 1959 and to this day nobody can explain what exactly happened except some theories, yet somehow here we are with another found footage film. Students with up to date technology and camera's that never seem to run out of battery life...where can I get one of those type of camera's. The premise of the story is built up well, the back story, a lone survivor who has lost his mind ( someone from the original party did feel unwell and did return back to the mainland). There is thrown in The Philadelphia Experiment that was re-created by the Russians and a military/government cover up for the plot in this but was a bit of a let down for the finale.

f6980a50b1310186454bb63ff21d85ecaf625ee6235a48128a879bce6bebec0c.jpg
Old 4th March 2024, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I dug Sleepless and Trauma out to watch, thanks to MrBarlow's review, seeing as i haven't watched them in years.

It's a shame i must have got rid of my original US version of Sleepless when the Arrow release came out, as that might have had the Italian track on it. The Arrow doesn't going off the back of the case.

Pretty sure that US release of Sleepless was the first Argento i bought on dvd.
Old 4th March 2024, 02:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sleepless

It's a shame i must have got rid of my original US version of Sleepless when the Arrow release came out, as that might have had the Italian track on it. The Arrow doesn't going off the back of the case
I have the Arrow 'Neo-Giallo' box set, and the version of 'Sleepless' it contains is only the English dub version
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th March 2024, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I have the Arrow 'Neo-Giallo' box set, and the version of 'Sleepless' it contains is only the English dub version
None of the Blu-rays have an original Italian 2:0 channel track. Only 5:1 which is a pity.

At least the Arrow dvd has a 2:0 English track as well as 5:1.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th March 2024, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran

I?ve never seen Sleepless, I?ve had the DVD since the arrow release in the white box with the reversible artwork came out.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th March 2024, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I?ve never seen Sleepless, I?ve had the DVD since the arrow release in the white box with the reversible artwork came out.
A film you obviously really wanted then?
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!