Like Tree179691Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2024, 09:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Men Behind The Sun. 1988.

A harrowing tale centres on Camp 731, a medical centre where the Japanese attempt to perfect bacterial weapons, using Chinese prisoners as guinea pigs in their nasty experiments. The director's objective is to reveal to the world how people suffered at the hands of their enemy, and in this he totally succeeds; the atrocities that are depicted in this is completely disturbing.

17 minutes into the film we are given a death with a note saying Victim, the person's name and date, and throughout the film with deaths we get a name that comes up unknown. Behind the brutality there is a story of a prisoner trying to escape the camp and let the authorities know of what is going on and a general trying to stay ahead of every country in the war and be superior. Certainly a film not to watch while eating.

Attachment 250581
I own all these films and yrs since I've seen any of them, it's shows how nasty and cruel human beings can be, certainly a eye opener for sure.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 7th April 2024, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I own all these films and yrs since I've seen any of them, it's shows how nasty and cruel human beings can be, certainly a eye opener for sure.
Certainly was a eye popper for someone in a field tied to a cross when the bombs dropped I'm actually debating to look for the sequels or not. knowing me it will happen.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 7th April 2024, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Doctor Carver. 2021.

A group of young women seeking to have the perfect body part head to a private clinic only to find something sinister there.

Thank you Amazon prime for recommending me this piece of British horror shit movie, right at the start we are given a killing good way to start the film. The acting in this never gets better, the doctor never wears a mask and is basically a demon from hell yet no one seems to look at the face. typical cliche horror two women run up the stairs and a girl's boyfriend turns up and we get the typical line "how did you get in"? "oh the back door was open". If you want a laugh just wind it through to the table with all four girls there after their surgery and the girl with the boob implants that burst...or get popped to be precise. Horror Hospital may not have been the best film made but certainly a lot better than this.

MV5BZGMzNzFmNjgtNDg0OS00MmUxLWJjNzUtYjdkYWQ5Mjg4YzAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4MTU4NjQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 7th April 2024, 09:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Son In Law. The gorgeous Carla Gugino is a midwest farm girl heading off to college in California. Initially overwhelmed and ready to run home after two days, she blossoms when taken under the wing of the oddball RA (Pauly Shore) and then takes him home with her for Thanksgiving to fend off the nuptial advances of her scumbag high school boyfriend, ultimately pretending to already be engaged to him - much to her family's horror! Lane Smith and Tiffani Amber-Thiessen co-star in this early 90s comedy that is to Pauly Shore what The Wedding Singer is to Adam Sandler (ie the only film of theirs I can watch lol). This is a good-natured, funny film and everything you want in a good comedy.
Old 8th April 2024, 02:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Road House (1989 and 2024)

Quote:
Dalton lives like a loner, fights like a professional. And loves like there's no tomorrow.

The Double Deuce is the meanest, loudest and rowdiest bar south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and Dalton has been hired to clean it up. He might not look like much, but the Ph.D.-educated bouncer proves he's more than capable ? busting the heads of troublemakers and turning the roadhouse into a jumping hot spot. But Dalton's romance with the gorgeous Dr. Clay puts him on the bad side of cutthroat local big shot Brad Wesley.
From Doug Liman, the director of such accomplished and entertaining films as Swingers, Go, The Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Jumper, Edge of Tomorrow, America Made, comes a pointless and turgid remake of 1989's Road House.

Rowdy Herrington's film of the same name is moderately entertaining despite being clunkily written with some laughable dialogue and action sequences. It's a film that, with more violence and without the implausible and unconvincing romantic B story, would have worked as a perfectly serviceable Chuck Norris action flick. As it is, Patrick Swayze's charisma just about saves it from being bad-bad, past so bad it's good, and into the sort of from you could put on when you're doing the ironing or a crossword. It's a film that works if you treat the dialogue and fight scenes as intentionally humorous because, if it was a comedy, it would be genuinely funny. Also, the soundtrack from the band in the Double Deuce is pretty good.

Back to 2024's Road House, where Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a former UFC cage fighter. Most of the plot is exactly the same: Dalton becomes the job of head bouncer at a roadhouse (in this film called The Road House rather than The Double Deuce), he begins a relationship with an attractive doctor, becomes accepted by many of the locals, and attracts the attention of a powerful criminal, but most of the film seems to exist solely to have Conor McGregor's antagonist in as many fight scenes as possible.

There's nothing wrong with putting professional fighters in mainstream films, particularly thinking of boxers such as James Toney in Ali, Antonio Tarver in Rocky Balboa, Tony Bellew in Creed, and Andre Ward in Creed II. Also, 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper was great in They Live, (then NABF heavyweight champion) Ken Norton was an integral part of Mandingo, but Conor McGregor is just ridiculous, completely out of place and laughably bad.

I don't know if he was trying to be larger-than-life to stand out or if this is a film designed to expand his public profile, but it's as if he's in a completely different film from the rest of the actors because his performance is tonally out of place. It doesn't help that Jake Gyllenhaal is unusually bad, as if he spent all his time preparing for the film by getting into UFC fighting shape rather than rehearsing.

Additionally, the VFX are surprisingly bad with one explosion particularly badly rendered. This has only been released by Prime Video for home viewing and I'm not entirely surprised because if the VFX looked unconvincing on a TV, then I can only imagine how poor they would be on a cinema screen.

If you haven't seen either of these, I wouldn't bother unless you're prone to succumbing to morbid curiosity, but if you like the first Road House, stay well away from the remake and rewatch the 1989 film instead.
Old 8th April 2024, 02:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The music in the original Roadhouse is by the Jeff Healey Band. I really like it. Best thing about the film actually.

Jeff Healey - Roadhouse Blues.

Old 8th April 2024, 07:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The music in the original Roadhouse is by the Jeff Healey Band. I really like it. Best thing about the film actually.
Yes, the music's definitely the best thing about the film. I like the Jeff Healey Band cover of Bob Dylan's 'When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky'

Old 8th April 2024, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Boxcar Bertha (1972)

Barbara Hershey plays "Boxcar" Bertha Thompson, a transient woman in Arkansas during the violent times of the Depression of the early '30s. She meets up with rabble-rousing union man "Big" Bill Shelly (David Carradine) and the two team up to fight the corrupt railroad establishment.

Although directed by Martin Scorsese, this Roger Corman production feels like Scorsese directing a Corman film rather than Corman producing a Scorsese film if that makes sense. Mainly due to the excessive exploitation (nudity and bloody violence) that Corman was known for as well as a somewhat fractured way of telling a story.

Both Hershey and Carradine give their all and show no inhibitions in what must have been difficult roles for young actors and they are well supported by Bernie Casey as their gun toting accomplice.

As an exploitation piece from the Corman stable this is fine and fits in well with the likes of Bloody Mama (1972) as well as non-Corman exploiters such as Jackson County Jail (1976) but as a Martin Scorsese picture it's somewhat lacking. At 84 minutes it's watchable enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4BNOq9i7lkyQ62BQEhMYg67wLZD.jpg (99.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th April 2024, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Miss March (2009

Eugene (Zach Creggar) a high school senior wakes up from four years in a coma to discover his sweetheart is the latest centerfold in Playboy magazine. Together with his dumb best friend Tucker (Trevor Moore) they set off across country to the Playboy mansion in order to reconcile with Miss March.

A seriously un-PC sex comedy that pulls no punches. Nobody is safe be it firemen, epilepsy sufferers or coma patients. The jokes come thick and fast and i have to admit i laughed out loud loads of times. I'm chuckling to myself as i type thinking of Eugene waking from his coma, seeing his girl baring all then shitting four years worth of crap onto the floor from the shock as he can't hold his bowels, and rapper Horsedick's whore who bounces out of the open tour bus window when it hits a pothole just as she was about to go down on Tucker.

The guys, especially Tucker can be slightly OTT in their demented babbling - Hugh Hefner calls security it gets so bad - but all the way through Tucker sounded and looked like Randall Graves from the Quick Stop Convenience store which was kinda' odd.

On the whole though i really enjoyed this although many won't.They really don't make films like this anymore. More's the pity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miss_march_xlg.jpg (93.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th April 2024, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Cursed Medallion aka The Night Child (1975)

Shit Italian Exorcist rip off from Massimo Dallamano that's ruined by a horrendous wide eyed, high pitched performance from Nicoletta Elmi as the titular child that makes House by the Cemetery's Giovanni Frezza seem like Daniel Day-Lewis in comparison.

Even decent turns from Richard Johnson and Joanna Cassidy can't save it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Il_medaglione_insanguinato.jpg (30.5 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!