All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2023, 10:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Firewalker. 1986.

Two adventurers team up with a female companion in seek of a hidden Aztec treasure.

I haven't made my mind up if this is to be taken as a serious film or a spoof of some kind...either way it certainly had its moments of laughter. Chuck Norris teams up with Louis Gossett Jr as two adventurers always on the run and seeking new things. Melody Anderson is the new female companion who holds the treasure map to big things. Aside from being a Cannon production this was actually decent and almost the same as the other Cannon film King Solomons Minds. Plenty of 80s wit and laughs from start to finish.

Attachment 247494
I've had the blu from 101 for ages, I really need to watch this.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th August 2023, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've had the blu from 101 for ages, I really need to watch this.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
It's different from other Chuck Norris films but certainly entertaining.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th August 2023, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Erotic Nightmare (1999, Steve Cheng)

Anthony Wong plays a family man? Perverse secret barely under the surface? Check!
A charming tale of lust and revenge and how. When AW comes into contact with a shady sort who promises much for mere money, a journey with only one end really begins ahem. Buyer beware
Recommended with caveats.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th August 2023, 07:27 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMTg0NTIzMjQ1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc3MzM5OQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

When two little girls go missing the father of one of the girls is so frustrated with the investigation that he takes it upon himself to to do some interigating of his own.

I had been putting this off for years not sure why because I always hear so many great things about it so yesterday I finally gave it a go and I was not disappointed. The whole thing is so gloomy and dark the way it's shot is beautiful and that score is so sinister and chilling at times it reminded me of The Hitcher. Jake Gyllenhaal is at his usual brilliance and Paul Dano dose and amazing job of playing the creepy little b*stars with the mind of a 10 year old but you know there is more going on behind his blank childlike demeanor. But for me it's Hugh Jackman that steals the show his performance is so intense show how far a person can be pushed when someone they love more than life itself is harmed. Running at two and a half hours I was gripped the whole time not knowing what was going to happen next what twist and turn this film was gonna take.

I know the film has been out years but I still don't want to go too much into detail for anyone who has not seen it I'll just say it's a pretty dark ride.

But nothing prepared me for what I watched next.
Old 16th August 2023, 08:00 AM
Cult Master

MV5BYzhmNWMyYjQtNTVlMC00MGUwLWFmYjEtM2NkNWY0ODQ2YmFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

Through a chance encounter on a long-distance bus ride two men get chatting and soon a friendship starts to blossom. Henry Teague is a man with no much going on in life his asthma stops him from working anymore so when he new friend offers him the chance to make a few easy buck delivering packages he is cautious but he needs the money and says he will only come along of there is no violence involved. On the first drop Henry meets Mark the guy that organises the drops and collections he is the man with the direct line to the top and he is Henry's way in to more lucrative jobs. Mark demands that Henry is upfront and honest about any criminal records he has time spent in prison how big or small the crimes were all not to draw too much attention to the organisation promising him that they can get rid of anything crimes he has done but they need to know so they can avoid snooping. But the truth is this is all a sting operation to get Mark to confess to an unsolved crime some eight years ago. Now it's up to Mark to put himself in the most uncomfortable and dangerous position in his career and life by befriending Mark and getting close to know everything about him a situation that never stops escalating.

Right off the bat the film blew me away it's not fast paced by any means but Jesus is it dark intense and some times uncomfortable to watch. At first Henry seems like a bit of an innocent flood but once he starts to get comfortable with Mark and open up it's extremely unnerving. Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris and absolutely amazing Im honestly getting chills typing this thinking of certain scenes and one of Joel Edgerton a final scenes just almost broke me honestly a breathtaking performances by both men.

Nobody makes gritty films that stick with you Like the Australians it's shot so beautifully in a really depressing dark grim way. Films that grab you by the throat and don't let know day sometimes even weeks after you watched the film you can still feel the grip around your neck.

At the start of the film it says based on a true story sometimes you can take that with a pinch of salt but afterwards I looked up the case it was based on and it makes the film even more haunting. I watched a few documentaries about it from 60 minutes Australia late last yeah don't do that Christ sake not a good idea.

A stunning film like I said it's a slow film building up the friendship between Mark and Henry but it's so worth every second amazing honestly
Old 16th August 2023, 09:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Stranger sounds like one to look out for. Thanks for the review. Harris is a pretty seedy customer in the MI films so i can imagine him really going for it here.

I really like Prisoners. I saw it twice in about the space of a month and really enjoyed it both times.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th August 2023, 09:47 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Stranger sounds like one to look out for. Thanks for the review. Harris is a pretty seedy customer in the MI films so i can imagine him really going for it here.

I really like Prisoners. I saw it twice in about the space of a month and really enjoyed it both times.
Couple of times Sean Harris had me squirming watching him no joke.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th August 2023, 07:19 PM
Cult Addict

share.jpg

Watched that there Ghostbusters Afterlife the other day as it turned up on Netflix and must say i really enjoyed it, maybe more so whilst watching it than thinking about it afterwards.

The young kids were fine, the girl who was Egons granddaughter really held the film together, it was perhaps too much of a rerun of the first film, but the set up and reasoning behind it was pretty solid, nice to see the original cast turn up.

Could have done without the mini stay pufts as they just seemed pointless, but i preferred it to Ghostbusters 2 which i've never really liked that much and the more recent female version which i didn't mind as much as a lot of people.

Anyway as a latter day sequel i thought it was pretty good.
7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th August 2023, 12:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Legion Of Iron (1990, Yakov Bentsvi)

Illegal fight club caper.
Young lovers find their night ends very differently to, I presume their smallish desires cough.
I digress.
An odd beast, and if I can find this on BD, a shoe in for Boxing Day.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th August 2023, 02:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Amazon being weird again with their deliveries. The films i bought last week arrived the day after ordering which is definitely odd with me not being a Prime member yet the ones ordered yesterday, including Cape Fear, i'm supposedly not getting until next bloomin' Wednesday.
Two days later three quarters of my order turns up. Certainly not complaining but why say the 23rd in the first place.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!