Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179713Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2024, 03:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Cursed Medallion aka The Night Child (1975)

Shit Italian Exorcist rip off from Massimo Dallamano that's ruined by a horrendous wide eyed, high pitched performance from Nicoletta Elmi as the titular child that makes House by the Cemetery's Giovanni Frezza seem like Daniel Day-Lewis in comparison.

Even decent turns from Richard Johnson and Joanna Cassidy can't save it.
I agreed 100% - bought the Arrow DVD ages ago and was so boring..
Old 11th April 2024, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
I agreed 100% - bought the Arrow DVD ages ago and was so boring..
I bet last night was only the second time i've watched that Arrow dvd. The first would be when it originally came out.

I can't see me rushing to watch it again i must say.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th April 2024, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's a powerful and moving allegorical film about grief with wonderful imagery and fine performances. It's not necessarily a film to enjoy, more one to appreciate.
We watched A Monster Calls. Thought it was a truly excellent film. I'm not ashamed to admit that tears very much formed at two points during the film. Had to blow my nose at one point. That's extremely rare for me, I honestly can't recall the last time that a movie made me cry. Thinking about it, I haven't cried since my father's funeral back in 2017. Am keeping on the shelves despite the fact that my wife told me that she wasn't sure if she could watch it again. I would very much recommend this film (despite the tears).
Old 11th April 2024, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Monkey Man

Dev Patel's Directorial Debut sees him attempting revenge on the people who took the land he was living on Murdered his Mother. This was a decent attempt but it's too long with the action sequences having issues with it being too fast that you couldn't see it properly. However it does focuses on the issues going on in India. There was a John Wick joke but this reminded me more of Ong Bak. Sharloto Copley steals the show as a Fight Promoter.

Next Goal Wins

True Story based on America Samoa, the then world's worst International Football Team and their new Coach's mission to at least get them to score a goal. Michael Fassbender is the Coach and he is rather good in this heartwarming tale in which you want them to succeed.

Vampire Killer Barbys

Jess Franco effort so you know what to expect in this tale of a Rock Band who ended up stranded and take refuge at a Castle where the Countess wants their blood for regaining her youth. Right then, the dubbing is atrocious, some decent gore but one song is repetitive. One of his better efforts though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm.jpg (7.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ngw.jpg (9.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg vkb.jpg (11.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th April 2024, 09:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Savage Streets (1984)

A decidedly grim and gritty Hollywood set vigilante exploiter starring Linda Blair as a high school senior who swears revenge when her sister is raped by a bunch of punks who then go onto murder her best friend.

This is a pretty mean spirited film that could have been a classic but the woeful vulgar for the sake of it dialogue hampers both the plot and Blair's performance to the point of it being laughable. Meanwhile the high school punks all look as old as school principle John Vernon.

The similarly themed Angel starring Donna Wilkes, from the previous year, did it so much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage-Streets-Poster.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th April 2024, 09:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
We watched A Monster Calls. Thought it was a truly excellent film. I'm not ashamed to admit that tears very much formed at two points during the film. Had to blow my nose at one point. That's extremely rare for me, I honestly can't recall the last time that a movie made me cry. Thinking about it, I haven't cried since my father's funeral back in 2017. Am keeping on the shelves despite the fact that my wife told me that she wasn't sure if she could watch it again. I would very much recommend this film (despite the tears).
A Monster Calls is a beautifully made and very moving film, so I'm not surprised you and your wife had those emotional reactions.

I've seen it a couple of times and it has made me cry at least once but, like you, it remains part of my collection because there may be a time when I want to watch it again.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th April 2024, 10:29 PM
Active Cultist

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Savage Streets (1984)

A decidedly grim and gritty Hollywood set vigilante exploiter starring Linda Blair as a high school senior who swears revenge when her sister is raped by a bunch of punks who then go onto murder her best friend.

This is a pretty mean spirited film that could have been a classic but the woeful vulgar for the sake of it dialogue hampers both the plot and Blair's performance to the point of it being laughable. Meanwhile the high school punks all look as old as school principle John Vernon.

The similarly themed Angel starring Donna Wilkes, from the previous year, did it so much better.
I love Savage Streets. The main villain always gave me 'Crater Face' from Grease Vibes. I never tire of seeing Linda Blair transform into the avenging angel at the end with the iconic crossbow. The earworm soundtrack always sticks in my head for days after every watch. I think a double bill with Class of 1984 is due this weekend. Justice for one, justice for all

Last edited by Dave; 11th April 2024 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11th April 2024, 11:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A Monster Calls is a beautifully made and very moving film, so I'm not surprised you and your wife had those emotional reactions.

I've seen it a couple of times and it has made me cry at least once but, like you, it remains part of my collection because there may be a time when I want to watch it again.
I watched an old Mark Kermode review earlier this evening. He talked about the emotional nature of the film and at the end, he said to make sure that you bring tissues to your screening. After the film had finished, my (American) partner told me "it's good to cry." I told her that I wasn't convinced and then she told me to "stop being so British."
Old 12th April 2024, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dead Reckoning (1947)

Humphrey Bogart plays Rip Murdock, an army captain who at the end of the war is to be awarded the Medal of Honour along with a friend and fellow soldier. However the friend turns up dead before he can be commended so Bogart takes it upon himself to investigate.

A genuine classy film noir (Unlike much of Indicator's Columbia Noir #5 box set that this was taken from) with Bogart in great form all dark suited and trilby wearing delivering a cool voice over throughout as he runs into trouble with a local club owner and crime lord as well as trouble in the shapely form of the sexy, husky voiced femme fatale Coral (Lizabeth Scott) who is very much a dame to kill for.

Although there's nothing new here in terms of Noir storytelling - At times Murdock seems like he's rolled in from other classic Bogart noirs - it's the way director John Cromwell seems to let the film flow with dialogue so sharp it lacerates the tongue. Murdock's initial thoughts on Coral are particularly wonderful " I hated every part of her but I couldn't figure her out yet. I wanted to see her the way Johnny had. I wanted to hear that song of hers with Johnny's ears. Maybe she was alright. And maybe Christmas comes in July. But I didn't believe it."

The whole film drips silky smooth chat like that throughout as well as showcasing some hard boiled violence in what is an incredibly enjoyable and gripping example of noir cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dead_Reckoning_(1947)_film_poster.jpg (25.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th April 2024, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Dead Reckoning (1947)

Humphrey Bogart plays Rip Murdock, an army captain who at the end of the war is to be awarded the Medal of Honour along with a friend and fellow soldier. However the friend turns up dead before he can be commended so Bogart takes it upon himself to investigate.

A genuine classy film noir (Unlike much of Indicator's Columbia Noir #5 box set that this was taken from) with Bogart in great form all dark suited and trilby wearing delivering a cool voice over throughout as he runs into trouble with a local club owner and crime lord as well as trouble in the shapely form of the sexy, husky voiced femme fatale Coral (Lizabeth Scott) who is very much a dame to kill for.

Although there's nothing new here in terms of Noir storytelling - At times Murdock seems like he's rolled in from other classic Bogart noirs - it's the way director John Cromwell seems to let the film flow with dialogue so sharp it lacerates the tongue. Murdock's initial thoughts on Coral are particularly wonderful " I hated every part of her but I couldn't figure her out yet. I wanted to see her the way Johnny had. I wanted to hear that song of hers with Johnny's ears. Maybe she was alright. And maybe Christmas comes in July. But I didn't believe it."

The whole film drips silky smooth chat like that throughout as well as showcasing some hard boiled violence in what is an incredibly enjoyable and gripping example of noir cinema.
This sounds great Dem. Appears to be getting a standalone release shortly too. The boxset doesn't sound recommended?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope and Graveyard like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!