Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179850Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2024, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Schindler's List

Liam Neeson is Oskar Schindler, the German who was able to save over 1000 Jews from the Nazi's. A very powerful Film with scenes that will stay with you. Ben Kingsley co-stars along Ralph Finnes who shines as the psychopathic Camp Leader.

Miranda's Victim

Based on the true story of how the Miranda Rights came to be. Abigail Breslin stars as a girl who was Raped and the person she accuses confesses under duress and as the ACLU defend him.

SPOILER:
Luke Wilson, Ryan Phillipe, Donald Sutherland and Enrique Murciano co-star in another powerful Film in which the victim is the one who's life is destroyed and the person actually did it so you are conflicted that some important rights were instigated by a vile individual.

Deadly Pursuit

Sidney Pottier is a FBI Agent who is after a Killer who is trying to escape to Canada therefore teams up with top wilderness guide played by Tom Berenger who's Girlfriend (Kirstie Alley) is kidnapped. No GGI, just practical stunts that help this Thriller entertain.

I know that Touchstone is the label that Disney use to release Films that aren't suitable for the Disney range but they released some great Films in the 80's

Inspector Wears Skirts 3

The SKIRTS Police Unit are back and this time they are on a Gambling Ship that is going to be robbed. Whilst most of the cast is back, Madame Wu is only in a few scenes but whilst the weaker of the Films so far, it's still funny and entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl.jpg (13.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mv.jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dp.jpg (11.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg iws3.jpg (15.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd April 2024, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Quentin Tarantino's second and probably most cherished film is four intertwining tales of fractured narrative about two mob hitmen, a boxer, a gangster and his wife, and a pair of diner bandits.

Chock full of memorable dialogue and graphic violence, Pulp Fiction was a cultural phenomenon and an influence on movies and other media to this day.

I hadn't seen the film for years, probably since it came out on dvd so in a way i approached my first Blu-ray viewing with some trepidation in regards to how such a benchmark piece of cinema which embraced pop culture of the time might stand up in 2024.

In truth it stands up remarkably well. The only sequence that felt dated was the dancing at Jack Rabbit Slims diner and that was probably because Uma Thurman and John Travolta doing the twist has been copied, pillaged and ripped off more than any other scene of celluloid in the years since. However seen on it's own it hasn't exactly dated because it was dated back in 94 taking place in a fifties themed restaurant. A restaurant in which Tarantino gave Joe Pilato a brief role as a Dean Martin impersonator.

Seen in the mid 2020's Pulp Fiction remains a genuine classic with a superb cast who all give terrific performances which in some cases revived or kick started their careers and for the most part i was simply sat engrossed watching them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulp_Fiction_(1994)_poster.jpg (33.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 23rd April 2024, 04:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched late night with the Devil, since I dozed of at the cinema,

The whole idea of a talk show worked because it felt like to you was part of the audience, and was done so well, without any daft or stupid jokes for sake of it.
The ending was a bit weird how they went about it, and kind of ruined the film a smidge.
It's my new favourite film,
Everything about it was done well
Well made,
Original
Fresh
Good acting
Proper storyline
Tension
Atmosphere.

Something a lot of films seem to be missing these days.

Didn't just feel like a film based in the 70s felt like a film that was made In the 70s

it was different, fresh, and not the same old same old, or a serial killer, or a remake, spin-off, prequel. Sequel, reboot etc etc etc,

Solid 8-9. Recommended.
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Abigail. A group of criminals kidnap a 12 year old girl for ransom, only to find the tables turned when she turns out to be a bloodthirsty vampire. Saw this at the cinema today - I am a glutton for punishment - and it was... okay. Nowhere near as bad as The First Omen, but has still been rather overrated by everyone going. It had me engaged at some points, but takes too long to get going (esp when they've made no effort to keep Abigail's true nature a surprise) and then goes on way too long with a rather odd switcheroo in the last act. Watchable but nothing to write home about and certainly not the second coming of vampires some have been touting it as.
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

La Bamba

True Story based on the life and death of Ritchie Valens played by Lou Diamond Phillips as it chronicles his upbringing, Music Career and eventual death. Esai Morales plays his intense drunken Brother whilst Elizabeth Pena plays the Girlfriend of Morales. It's an interesting story told really well. Luckily I found the Eureka Release in a CEX for less than half price of a Sale Price of the Criterian Blu-Ray release. Result.

Holdovers

Paul Giamatti excels as the Teacher in a exclusive Boarding School who has to look after the Students who have to stay at the School for the Christmas Holiday's. With the help of the Cook, he befriends the loner as they eventually teach other things about how things are in the world. This is a excellent Film with stellar performances of it's 3 main leads, quite humorous in places too.

It is definitely a Xmas movie and this Film might be appearing in the Xmas Film Thread.

Abigail

A group of Kidnappers are hired to kidnap and look after a girl before the ransom is paid. However not all is as it seems. I agree with the previous review of this Film, it takes a while for things to get going even though the premise has been leaked in Magazines and the ending is to convoluted and messy.

SPOILER:
I'm guessing they didn't want to kill off Abigail so that's why they turned another character, so the main lead can get away.

However it's a decent watch with very good performances from Kevin Durand as the dumb as rocks heavy and Alisha Weir as the titular character who delivers her lines in convincing fashion, she is quite scary. It's also has humor and gore.

Inspector Wears Skirts 4

The latest recruits are deemed to be incompetent therefore they bring in some former members to help train them. Whilst I realize that they had to deviate from the previous cast and changed up the formula, there's too much silly slapstick for my liking.

The first 2 Films in the series are quite good and worth watching, the 3rd one isn't too bad and the 4th is if you fancy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lb.jpg (12.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (10.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (5.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg iws4.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd April 2024, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre (2009)

Known as Harpoon when it hit dvd in the UK this sees a boatload of international tourists on a whale-watching expedition having to fight for their lives when a freak accident kills their captain (Gunnar Hansen of Leatherface fame) and they are picked up by a crew of murderous whalers.

There's absolutely nothing new to see here at all. Parts of this feel reminiscent of the far superior 1980 film Death Ship whilst the rest is simply ripped off from better slasher films. There's zero suspense, the tourists are all so unlikable you wish them all dead after about five minutes and the only whale we see is a CGI one right at the very end.

The only thing this Icelandic slasher has going for it is the setting of the icy seas and rugged terrains of the Nordic coastline.

Despite this dvd being in my 'Get rid of' pile since i first watched it well over a decade ago last night was my fourth viewing and it really doesn't improve.
Old 25th April 2024, 09:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 56

The Conqueror. 1956.

John Wayne stars as Mongolian warlord Temujin who must do battle against the rival tribe that killed his father. After he has defeated his enemies, he is crowned Genghis Khan.

A film that The Duke himself has distanced himself from through embarrassment, we have a white guy playing a mongol leader and thinks that Susan Hayword should be conquered aswell.The Conqueror's opening is great. It opens with Temujin riding through the dessert with his Mongol army. The scenes of the army riding are great. They are shot so well. The action scenes of the Mongols fighting enemy armies were great too. But it does look and sound cheesy with the dialogue but could be down to poor writing and delivery. This is famous for a set that was used in Utah that was once a nuclear testing site that many cast members and production team behind the camera developed cancer. I think I may return to this one again.

The_Conqueror_(1956)_film_poster.jpg
Old 25th April 2024, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Poor Things

OK, Emma Stone's character commits Suicide, dying Scientist played by Willem Dafoe re-animates her with the brain of her baby, goes off with Mark Ruffalo and basically discovers her sexuality. Pretty sure most forum users know this one, it's strange but not complicated, bit long and whilst Emma Stone is good, not sure if her performance is Oscar worthy. All she really does is walk funny, whilst talking straight up without filter, which is mostly describing her sexual exploits to the utter dismay of her male suitors. Basically you know if you want to see this one.

Wished the Blu-Ray had a Emma Stone Commentary, would have been interesting to have known her thought process during certain scenes. It was enjoyable for what it was.

Striking Distance

Bruce Willis plays Tom Hardy (NOT A BIOPIC) a Homicide Detective who is demoted to River Patrol when he states that a Serial Killer is still at large when they have already have caught somebody. Also he is from a family of Cops and he testified against a Cousin who committed Police Brutality who then committed Suicide. He is partnered by Sarah Jessica Parker and some similar killings start up again.

Liked this when it came out in 93 and rather enjoyed it, it's been years since I've seen this but other than a couple of scenes and who the killer was, this was like watching it for the 1st time and at around 97 minutes long, it didn't outstay it's welcome and it was rather enjoyable passing of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt.jpg (11.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sd.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th April 2024, 10:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 57

Milk. 2008.

Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk who at the age of 40 runs for a political campaign towards the gay community to have rights as everyone else and finds a ally which leads to his assassination.

With the right director on board, give Sean a script and a character and let him work his magic on screen, I have never heard of Harvey Milk before watching this but certainly knew how to get people to be open and out about their sexuality and give them proper rights to be free and express themselves. Josh Brolin plays White who helped Milk campaign his bill of rights and hoped for help and was eventually shot down by his ideas that made him buckle. James Franco is brilliant in this as Harvey's partner and manager who seemed to be pushed aside but certainly had chemistry with Sean to make the film more dramatic than what it should have been. A great film that will be watched again.

MV5BYTQ1MTk5YmYtZWUxNi00MDQxLTg0NzAtMmM4ZDkzY2E3YjQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1Njg5NTA@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 26th April 2024, 01:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Milk. 2008.

Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk who at the age of 40 runs for a political campaign towards the gay community to have rights as everyone else and finds a ally which leads to his assassination.
I think Milk is a brilliant film, powerful and moving, so I understand why Keith Phipps called it the 'Best Loser' at the 81st Academy Awards (where Slumdog Millionaire was awarded Best Picture), writing:

"Gus Van Sant's biopic of slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk could easily have fallen into the usual biopic traps, either by trying too hard to show how its subject changed the world or by turning him into a thinly characterized saint. Spearheaded by an empathetic Sean Penn performance, Milk does none of that as it depicts Milk's immersion in activism, political rise, and murder at the hands of a fellow politician. The film turns an important chapter in American history into a compelling personal story that shows, rather than tells, how one person can make the first ripples leading to sweeping changes."

https://www.vulture.com/article/best...re-losers.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!