Like Tree1863Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2017, 01:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
When Alice Broke the Mirror.

Is it worth buying? How is it compared to other Fulci films?
Anybody?
Old 15th January 2017, 01:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Anybody?
Sorry, Prince. I've never seen it but have heard it's not very good. I'm afraid that's the best i can come up with but at least it keeps the thread near the top of the replies box.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Anybody?
You might get more replies by using its aka, Touch of Death. I haven't seen it either but looks typical Fulci.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it, Prince, but would be interested because of its director and the Wikipedia entry, which has no citations:

Though many fans are divided, generally "Touch of Death" is regarded as a better latter era Fulci film. The overdone black humor touches, unconvincing gore effects and baffling ending does turn off some fans.

Also, 5.4/10 at the IMDb is fairly high for a (relatively) little-known Italian gore flick.
Old 15th January 2017, 06:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Also, 5.4/10 at the IMDb is fairly high for a (relatively) little-known Italian gore flick.
Actually it rates as pretty average not high. Their scores are based on averages so no matter how many have seen it 5.4 is dismal.
Old 15th January 2017, 06:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Actually it rates as pretty average not high. Their scores are based on averages so no matter how many have seen it 5.4 is dismal.
I always knock a couple of points off for non-English horror films because there seem to be a large number of IMDb members who watch films like that and, if the comments are anything to go by, turn them off fairly quickly, voting 1 or 2 out of 10. Even the best films by someone like Lucio Fulci seem to have a ceiling of around 8/10*, so my expectations are based on that lower ceiling.

*Don't Torture a Duckling – 7.2/10
The Beyond – 6.9/10
City of the Living Dead – 6.3/10
Lizard in a Woman's Skin – 7.0/10
The Psychic – 7.0/10
Zombie Flesh Eaters – 6.9/10
Perversion Story – 6.9/10
Old 15th January 2017, 06:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I always knock a couple of points off for non-English horror films because there seem to be a large number of IMDb members who watch films like that and, if the comments are anything to go by, turn them off fairly quickly, voting 1 or 2 out of 10. Even the best films by someone like Lucio Fulci seem to have a ceiling of around 8/10*, so my expectations are based on that lower ceiling.

*Don't Torture a Duckling – 7.2/10
The Beyond – 6.9/10
City of the Living Dead – 6.3/10
Lizard in a Woman's Skin – 7.0/10
The Psychic – 7.0/10
Zombie Flesh Eaters – 6.9/10
Perversion Story – 6.9/10
You knock points off because people vote them low due to being non-English? I'd have thought you'd add a point for that not lower it even more.

As for the ceiling of 8/10 for Fulci's films. Well i totally agree, none are better than 8/10. Things that are above 8 tend to be classed as masterpieces or something very special. It's only Trebor who votes everything 9.2/10.
Old 15th January 2017, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
You knock points off because people vote them low due to being non-English? I'd have thought you'd add a point for that not lower it even more.

As for the ceiling of 8/10 for Fulci's films. Well i totally agree, none are better than 8/10. Things that are above 8 tend to be classed as masterpieces or something very special. It's only Trebor who votes everything 9.2/10.
Hey I only gave the gayver a 5/10 but compared to my scoring average that will tell you how poor it is. But yes I do rate to high most of the time.
Old 15th January 2017, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Hey I only gave the gayver a 5/10
Sounds like you watched the sex parody version, Treb.
Old 15th January 2017, 07:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I undoubtedly worded it badly, meaning most members knock off a couple of points because they didn't make it through the first half an hour due to dubbing or subtitles, so I either lower the ceiling or elevate the average score.

As such, the 5.4/10 score is likely to be around 6.5 or 7.0 (out of 10) from me. That's a blind guess based on the majority of IMDb users and my appreciation for 'bad' Fulci films.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!