LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2018, 11:37 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Outpost was average and Dead Snow isn't a war time horror film. It features Nazi zombies but is set in the present day with teens rather than military.
Both valid points with which I agree. I was trying to broaden the definition to see what films would possibly count because, as you said, there aren't many horror films set during World War II. Away from that war, there are movies like R-Point, Jacob's Ladder, and Ravenous, which I really like.

It's possible to argue that most war movies contain a certain amount of horror because of the nature of war and the amount of death and suffering within, but that doesn't specifically classify them as horror films.

Back to the Second World War, there is also Michael Mann's The Keep, which I haven't seen for a long time but remember finding both enjoyable and impressive.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:43 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Both valid points with which I agree. I was trying to broaden the definition to see what films would possibly count because, as you said, there aren't many horror films set during World War II. Away from that war, there are movies like R-Point, Jacob's Ladder, and Ravenous, which I really like.

It's possible to argue that most war movies contain a certain amount of horror because of the nature of war and the amount of death and suffering within, but that doesn't specifically classify them as horror films.

Back to the Second World War, there is also Michael Mann's The Keep, which I haven't seen for a long time but remember finding both enjoyable and impressive.
There is The Devil's Rock which is set during WWII on the eve of D-Day, but following the opening where three commando's land on a beach and enter a secret castle location it turns into a scary runaround with demons rather than any sort of war film and could be set at any time in history.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There is The Devil's Rock which is set during WWII on the eve of D-Day, but following the opening where three commando's land on a beach and enter a secret castle location it turns into a scary runaround with demons rather than any sort of war film and could be set at any time in history.
That's another film which I haven't seen for many years but remember being as you described and quite a bit of fun.

Even Frankenstein's Army had its moments.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's another film which I haven't seen for many years but remember being as you described and quite a bit of fun.

Even Frankenstein's Army had its moments.
I'd forgotten that one.

Back in 2013 there was a film called Army of Frankensteins. Set in the American Civil War where they used Frankenstein's monster army to fight battles. Sadly the lack of any sort of budget meant it failed on pretty much every level.
Old 21st July 2018, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Didn't you like Dead Snow or Outpost?

I've seen trailers for The House with a Clock in its Walls at the cinema and it looks really interesting; a dark family movie which has the potential to be scary and entertaining.

Looks good and then noticed the director is Eli Roth don't think I've really enjoyed any of his films but it's a bit of a departure from his usual stuff
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st July 2018, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Looks good and then noticed the director is Eli Roth don't think I've really enjoyed any of his films but it's a bit of a departure from his usual stuff
Can't say I'm a fan of Eli Roth either but I didn't mind the saw movies tho,
Except 3rd one which was awful and more of just a cash in on the previous 2.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st July 2018, 03:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
That's what I thought as well – it looks like a film which will be a bit more like Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children or a live-action Monster House than Knock Knock, though it would be good if it had some of the vibe and offkilter atmosphere from Cabin Fever.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st July 2018, 07:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra..WOW!

Old 22nd July 2018, 05:45 AM
Cult Master

December 21, 2018

keirarts, trebor8273 and Dave Boy like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd July 2018, 01:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra..WOW!

This (along with Infinity War pt 2) is my most anticipated film of 2019, but seriously, what are they doing? Loved the new godzilla but understood all the moaners complaining about lack of monsters, I was hoping for a bit more of a monster mash in this one, looks like a lot of hiding in bunkers & end of the world hollywood angst, lol!
Please be a bit more like Kong Skull Island!

Movies with giant fire breathing lizards don't have to be the dark bloody knight!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!