Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: I LIKE.......
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
I LIKE.......

Like Tree174Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2012, 02:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
One has to wonder....why? Why remake a film that's already pretty much perfect as it is. It just seems pointless. Now taking a film that had a great idea but was poorly executed and remaking it I can understand. But why remake the good films?
I asked exactly the same questions in an article I wrote quite a while ago, called Don't Remake – Re-release. I really must upload it onto my website at some point.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 18th October 2012, 03:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
That's more than one

Not seen either version of ISOYG

Thought the MBV remake worked really well, and DOTD was pretty good. Thought TCM was glossy over-stylised rubbish though . . .
See the original but avoid the remake of ISOYG at all costs. Its a horribly made putrid film that completely misses the point of the original in an attempt to pull of some ludicriously bad and unaffective gore sequences. watching someone actually spitting on a grave would be more entertaining than the remake....Ok rant over with...

Summary:

IT STINKS!!!!
Old 18th October 2012, 05:34 PM
Cultist

Remakes are always hit and miss.... Normally I'm a horror purist and don't want remakes of my favorite films, but in recent years, I have been very surprised about a certain few.

Friday the 13th: Had a good Jason, boobs, blood and some cool sets.....

Hills Have Eyes: Had a lot of balls, lots of high tension, cool mutant family and some cool deaths

My Bloody Valentine 3D: Full frontal nudity, sweet deaths, including one homaging the uncut version of the original and Tom Atkins

Dawn of the Dead: High octane stuff, lots of action, lots of surprises, and I really loved how in the start of the movie how society totally crumbles in only a few days....

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Had great atmosphere, the set for the farm was amazing, great actors for the family, a great Leatherface and so on...

Piranha 3D: I can't stop talkin' bout this! 3D full frontal nudity, lots of gore, lots of fun.....and "They took my penis"

But this is still just my opinion.....
Old 18th October 2012, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranarchy View Post
Remakes are always hit and miss.... Normally I'm a horror purist and don't want remakes of my favorite films, but in recent years, I have been very surprised about a certain few.

Friday the 13th: Had a good Jason, boobs, blood and some cool sets.....

Hills Have Eyes: Had a lot of balls, lots of high tension, cool mutant family and some cool deaths

My Bloody Valentine 3D: Full frontal nudity, sweet deaths, including one homaging the uncut version of the original and Tom Atkins

Dawn of the Dead: High octane stuff, lots of action, lots of surprises, and I really loved how in the start of the movie how society totally crumbles in only a few days....

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Had great atmosphere, the set for the farm was amazing, great actors for the family, a great Leatherface and so on...

Piranha 3D: I can't stop talkin' bout this! 3D full frontal nudity, lots of gore, lots of fun.....and "They took my penis"

But this is still just my opinion.....
Couldn't agree more with this post, this is exactly how I feel about remakes.

Some are done extremely well, its just a shame that more have been done badly so it tends to paint a bad picture on the remake horror genre in general

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 18th October 2012, 11:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To be honest i tend to avoid remakes dont particular like them never watched any remake of a j horror unless i wasnt aware at the time the film i was watching was a remake,
Like said some are hit and miss only and only the odd one or two interest me
Nightmare on elm st no wish or desire to watch couldnt care less,
Hills have eyes enjoyed .
Tcm 1st one loved not fan of 2 3rd 4th one Q? WHY terrible
Others since then not bad pretty decent and watchablle but none will ever be a patch on original
Wicker man wasnt keen on first wont even waste my a minute of my life watching this,
My bloody valentine utter rubbish

Halloween
Amityville horror
fri 13th
omen
night of living dead
not seen and probably wont either no great loss
J horror not watched any the remakes no interest to either not even out of curisoity.
all rest wasnt realy keen on any aprt from day of the dead ok ish
rest pretty rubbish.
I spit on your grave watchable to say in the least but didnt do much for me
Think best remake realy is last house on the left a lot lot better than expecting realy enjoyed it and still packs a bit of a punch.
was on itv four last night,
Old 19th October 2012, 02:50 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
One has to wonder....why? Why remake a film that's already pretty much perfect as it is. It just seems pointless. Now taking a film that had a great idea but was poorly executed and remaking it I can understand. But why remake the good films?
i thought that was obvious......money
Old 24th October 2012, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Universal has given first time director Adam Berg, best known for his Phillips Carousel commercial, the arduous task of remaking David Cronenberg's Videodrome...

First time director ? Cronenberg had 5 films under his belt by the time he made Videodrome and he still found it a tricky film to get right. Remakes never really bothered me until recently...
Old 24th October 2012, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict

THE HOUSE OF FLESH MANNEQUINS is possibly the worse remake I've seen. It's a remake of PEEPING TOM but with excessive violence, real sex and truly embarrassing sub Lynchian arty underground pretence. Normally I love all these things in a film but this makes the mistake of confusing meandering/going nowhere with dreamlike and strange which ultimately distanced me from the film. I spent most of it's running time daydreaming about the violence I would inflict upon all those involved in making the film on the off chance I ever bumped into them.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Universal has given first time director Adam Berg, best known for his Phillips Carousel commercial, the arduous task of remaking David Cronenberg's Videodrome...

First time director ? Cronenberg had 5 films under his belt by the time he made Videodrome and he still found it a tricky film to get right. Remakes never really bothered me until recently...
Urgh! Why bloody bother? How is that even going to work in this day and age? Digitalvideodownloaddrome?
Old 24th October 2012, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'd say this sums the situation up pretty well!

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!