Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'll just list some lesser known titles....

Concerto per pistola solista aka The Weekend Murders.
Great little overlooked giallo with a very tongue in cheek British vibe.

Sette scialli di seta gialla aka Crimes of the Black Cat.
Less known giallo which slowly builds it's tension until it explodes off the screen.

Passi di morte perduti nel buio aka Death Steps in the Dark.
Less known but engaging and opulent looking giallo.

Orgasmo / Paranoia
Both separate gialli in the classic pre-Argento style,Paranoia is sort of a retelling of Orgasmo. Lenzi made some great gialli and both of these star Caroll Baker.

Enigma rosso aka Virgin Killer
Third part of Massimo Dallamano's "schoolgirls in peril trilogy" which consists of Solange,What have they done to your Daughters and this one. Sadly overlooked.

Mozart è un assassino aka Mozart is a Murderer.
Late 90s! made for tv giallo which demonstrates Sergio Martino still was able to bring us the classic giallo thrills in a "modern" setting.

L' Etrusco uccide ancora aka The Dead are Alive.
Crispino again shows he's able to craft a great giallo,not as good as Autopsy but that one was exceptional.

Il Dolce corpo di Deborah aka The Sweet Body of Deborah.
Romolo Guerrieri brings us another Lenzi-style giallo complete with the great Caroll Baker. Yummy.

Ciak,si muore aka Clap,You're Dead.
Very tongue in cheek giallo exploring the Italian film production business which not only leads to hilarious scenes but also furthers the plot.

L'assassino è ancora tra noi aka The Killer is Still Among Us.
Strange and low budget affair which however succeeds in leaving an impression because of the unusual material and ending of the film. There's also some brutal kills. One of several gialli based on the real-life mostro di Firenze case.

Just some quick picks,I've probably forgotten several.

Last edited by bdc; 3rd August 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I'll just list some lesser known titles....

Sette scialli di seta gialla aka Crimes of the Black Cat.
Less known giallo which slowly builds it's tension until it explodes off the screen.
I really like this. However the dvd i have from Dagored is really quite poor. Is there a better English friendly release about?
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Enigma rosso aka Virgin Killer
Third part of the "schoolgirls in peril trilogy which consists of Solange,Who Saw Her Die and this one. Sadly overlooked.
I never knew this. I always thought it was Solange, What have they done to your Daughters and one other.

As they say. You learn something every day.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Lol you're right Dem,it's late.
I'll edit my post.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like this. However the dvd i have from Dagored is really quite poor. Is there a better English friendly release about?
There's a much better version "doing the rounds".
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Few more.

Il fiore dai petali d'acciaio aka The Flower with Petals of Steel is certainly an interesting giallo though it is a bit muddled to say the least.

The somewhat better known Giornata nera per l'ariete aka The Fifth Cord is a giallo that really grew on me after repeat viewings,the cinematography is stunning and the viewer needs to take time to "get" the film,not unlike the same director's Footsteps on the Moon.

Scavolini's weird and wonderful Un bianco vestito per Mariale aka Spirits of Death always has me wanting to watch more Scavolini gialli,unfortunately he only made one.

Last edited by bdc; 4th August 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 5th August 2014, 03:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cold Eyes of Fear (1971)

Directed by Enzo G Castellari.

I've always liked Enzo G Castellari as a director. His films tend to grab you immediately and keep you held until the final reel. Compared to some Italian directors he has an almost pulpy way of film making which i think always sits well in his area of film - Crime, sci-fi , westerns and horror. He never exudes that air of pretentiousness that some Italian directors have and seemingly seems to enjoy taking his viewers on a one way thrill ride.

Cold Eyes of Fear is an unconventional giallo, stylish, but opening sequence apart never particularly sleazy, nor does it boast any over the top violence. It's a film that relies on it's taut script of blackmail and corruption and some great dialogue which is occasionally witty and often sparky with dubbing in the most horrendous English accents. This, emblazoned with a terrific Morricone score makes Cold Eyes of Fear practically unmissable viewing for the adventurous giallo fan.
Old 5th August 2014, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Has anyone here seen Carlo Vanzina's Squillo or Sotto il vestito niente - L'ultima sfilata?
Old 6th August 2014, 08:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Few more.

Scavolini's weird and wonderful Un bianco vestito per Mariale aka Spirits of Death always has me wanting to watch more Scavolini gialli,unfortunately he only made one.
I've just read that Camera Obscura's warehouse was unfortunately hit by flooding - they've had to dispose of a lot of stock. La Orca is OOP with immediate effect, but on Facebook they are asking if people would be interested of a BD upgrade for Mariale. Please let them know if you are.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:28 AM
Cultist

I love the genre but looking at this post I think I have some catching up to do.

I've seen, and own, a lot of the more well known films and have started to buy some of the more obscure ones recently. I have Black Belly of the Tarantula and Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye ready to watch at home.

Some favourites of mine would be:

Tenebrae - I think this is my favourite of Argento's Giallos. I just love the atmosphere of this one, the great score by Goblin really adds to this and there is some great gore.

A Blade in the Dark - Another that I just love the atmosphere of. I haven't watched this in quite a few years, I am going to have to revisit it soon.

I will have to think of some more, I don't have my whole dvd collection at the moment due to moving house, so it's hard to recall everything.

I really want to see Luigi Cozzi's The Killer Must Kill Again, but have had trouble finding a reasonable priced copy. What does everyone think of this one?
Pete and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!