Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2014, 02:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Great review B. I heartily concur with your last paragraph.......
Ditto.
Old 29th August 2014, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I forgot all about this thread. Just bought the book!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409338677.646627.jpg
Old 29th August 2014, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I forgot all about this thread. Just bought the book!!
Attachment 143694
Where did you manage to get it and how much did it cost, AF? I'm after a copy myself.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 29th August 2014, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970)

Andy Milligan does Sweeney Todd as only Andy Milligan can, with plenty of sleazy shenanigans, bad accents, and mutton chops galore.

However, beneath the thin crust of abject silliness lies a dark, and at times brutal filling, and a curious ensemble of characters to match. The film is quite 'talky', which some may find dull at times, but these long-winded conversations just added to the film's offbeat charm (for the most part) for me.

Milligan is definitely a director you either click with or don't, and the more of his films I watch, the more I enjoy what is served up to me.
Old 30th August 2014, 06:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Where did you manage to get it and how much did it cost, AF? I'm after a copy myself.
I bought it for £30 + £5 p&p. Off of eBay. It was by far the cheapest! The rest are hundreds of pounds each.
mr 420 and PaulD like this.
Old 30th August 2014, 09:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's back in print at Fab Press' official site, and shipping at the end of next week, for those still looking. £29.99 + £6.49 S&H.
Old 30th August 2014, 09:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just tried calculating my score on what I've seen, loads I didnt click because I wasn't 100% sure if I seen, I like looking through things like this because it brings back memories from yesteryear, And good old days of spending a hr in video shop deciding what to choose to watch, Also reminds you off the odd film you forgot about and realise should be in your film collection, tbh I don't have any books on the subjects and wish I have, But i just vant afford prices like these I just relie on sites like this and word off mouth And that alone I like to thank everyone for .
Old 30th August 2014, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just tried calculating my score on what I've seen, loads I didnt click because I wasn't 100% sure if I seen, I like looking through things like this because it brings back memories from yesteryear, And good old days of spending a hr in video shop deciding what to choose to watch, Also reminds you off the odd film you forgot about and realise should be in your film collection, tbh I don't have any books on the subjects and wish I have, But i just vant afford prices like these I just relie on sites like this and word off mouth And that alone I like to thank everyone for .
True, theres about 15 at least I'm unsure whether I have seen them, as we literally did take everything out of our local stores in turns haha.

I NEED THIS BOOK COUGH.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th August 2014, 08:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Bloody Wednesday (1987)

Offbeat psychological horror Bloody Wednesday tells the tale of Harry Curtis, a man who suffers a mental breakdown due to his wife leaving him. This in turn leads him to lose his job and get naked a lot.

He also starts to imagine things and concoct various scenarios in his head believing them to be real. As Harry's madness escalates his fantasies become increasingly more violent until they culminate at the film's bloody finale.

Bloody Wednesday, whilst flawed, is still a fun and engaging enough ride helped along considerably by Raymond Elmendorf as the troubled Harry.
Old 1st September 2014, 04:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Bog (1983)

Bog is one of those films that makes you wonder whether the film-makers were intentionally trying to make something bad for comedic effect, or whether it was just something that looked better in their minds / on paper than it did when translated to the big (or small) screen.

The overall plot concerns a blood-draining prehistoric swamp monster who is awakened one day by a hapless fisherman using dynamite to win his catch.

After the dynamite fisherman comes to an abrupt end, the rest of the film is bulked out by two couples who are sauntering through that part of the swamp, vacationing together. The four seem to have been kidnapped from an entirely different film as their mundane bantering plays out almost like a dull comedy skit without any punchlines. After the two wives fall prey to the swamp beast, the husbands join the ramshackle police investigation and do not seem to be too upset about their wives' demise, which whilst understandable from this viewer's perspective just enhances the fake, two-dimensional characters and unbelievable nature of the film even more.

Fake and tacky seems to be Bog's specialty, as when the monster is revealed out of water to be nothing more than a man with a cheap rubber suit and rag ensemble waving his arms around you can't help but stifle a laugh... However, due to the overall ineptitude of the proceedings, I'd all but given up caring by that point anyway.

Like this? Share it using the links below!