Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2017, 03:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Im so glad you agree Dem (and also treb)...it seems to be held in high regard in some quarters but fails horribly...Im a big Dan Curtis fan so was very disappointed to say the least..
Perhaps a second viewing when you know what's coming might improve things?
Old 7th October 2017, 04:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Live Ghost.(1934)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps a second viewing when you know what's coming might improve things?
I do not think ill be returning to that film for a long time.

The Live Ghost.(1934)
Stan and Ollie get hired by Walter Long as a ships captain,to shanghai men to sail on his ship,apparently rumor has got around that Long's vessel is haunted so know one will work on it much to his annoyance..Unfortunately for the boys after managing to trick men into chasing Stan out of the bar,where upon Ollie knocks them out cold with a saucepan,they to get shanghaied aboard the vessel themselves.Walter Long's angry and violent captain threatens to twist the head around of any man who mentions that his ship is haunted.While the ship sails into port,Stan and Ollie refuse to take shore leave due to being frightened by there fellow sailors who have sworn revenge on them if they leave the safety of the ship.Given the job of guarding Arthur Housman the ship's drunk,Stan manages to shoot Housemans bunk,thinking they have killed him,not knowing he had previously escaped,they plan to throw what they think is his body over board.Meanwhile Houseman has managed to fall into some white wash and returns to the ship and his bunk.Throwing his body over board,the boys think there safe,only for Houseman (still covered in white paint) to return to the boat.While not the funniest of the duos short movie's,it is fine example of the often macabre humor which sometimes appeared in there earlier films,see also The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case and Oliver the Eighth,especially at the end when the captain carries out his threat.

Old 7th October 2017, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Very interesting Belgian horror, that opens with a scene of the last days of the fourth reich and a german officer who murders his newly born daughter a number of years later a group people end up at a castle for the night we soon learn that the baron appears to be the same German office and we lean of a cures, soon the tourist are being killed off by a succubus on orders from the devil as they have committed the seven deadly sins, for me it all very atmospheric and chilling in places, a film that needs a blu ray release and more recognition. 7.5/10

First viewing of the horror comedy which will become one of many, mild mannered film editor Ed is removed from his old job of editing arty farty films to editing horror films, this soon unhinges his mind and he goes a bloody killing spree. Reading blind this was a satire on the harsh censoring of Swedish films, but it's also for me parallels what was napping in the UK n the 80s because of the likes of mary Whitehouse who honestly thought horrors would turn people into crazed killers. 8/10

Tonight's viewings

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Return of the Living Dead 3

Last edited by trebor8273; 7th October 2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 7th October 2017, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

DAY 7:

Pet Sematary (1989)

**** out of *****

DAY 8:

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 7th October 2017, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
DAY 7:

Pet Sematary (1989)

**** out of *****

DAY 8:

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

**** out of *****

Pet semetery is one of the few films that still scares the crap out of me, I have to watch t in the day, bloody Zelda and creepy Gage.
Cinematic Shocks likes this.
Old 7th October 2017, 07:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)

Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)
Say what you like about Al Adcamson (and i know a few alreay have),he's never pretentious and his films are wildly unpredictable,not always in a good way ,but hey that the way the dice role with low budget film makers.And personally Dracula vs Frankenstein is as mad as a box of frogs,Lon Chaney Jnr as a mad head chopping axe man,Zandor Vorkov (Roger Engel) as Count Dracula who looks a cross between Peter Sutcliff and John Holmes and has the acting ability of concrete gnome. John Bloom as Frankenstein's monster obviously does not have to do much emoting,lucky for him but just a shame he looks like he had his face smashed in with sledge hammer. Russ Tamblyn as Rico,he really should know better but was obviously desperate for work and probably needed money for one of his ahem hobbies..And Regina Carroll the Sherri Moon of her time as she seemingly only appeared mainly in her husband,Al Adamson's movies.Its very much of its time,hippy's taking drugs,bikers raping women and police detectives with greasy hair.To most Al Adamson movies are lower than trash,to me there like a breath of stale air,I recently watched Alien Covenant and thought wow im bored,I watch Dracula vs. Frankensteinand im thinking what was the motives of Chaney and J. Carrol Naish for making this movie? And gee Regina Carrol has nice boobs,yes im that shallow...Also why is there kitten nibbling Chaney's ear in his death scene...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg.jpg (86.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 7th October 2017, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Day 4 - Night of the Devils
Day 5 - God Told Me To
Day 6 - The House That Screamed
Day 7 - Silver Bullet
Old 7th October 2017, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A perfect cure for those who have seen Dan Curtis version of Dracula, here we have a fun, stylish film with a charismatic actor in the role f Dracula who doesn't murder the love of his unlife as soon as he claps eyes on her, at it heart it's a love story. The new 4k version looks stunning with bold and bright colours and realistic darks, was able to see levels of detail on the sets etc I had not seen before. Let's not forget Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing who cuts the ham so thick it would choke a horse. 9.2/10
Old 7th October 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight's watches
Cannibal Ferox
A woman with brother and a friend go to the amazon to disprove the idea of cannibalism. Their car gets stuck so they walk on foot to the tribe, they then find 2 men; one wounded who take them their but try to hold off by warning them that these people are dangerous. Turns out the tribesmen are angry after one the 2 men tortured and killed for not finding emeralds. As well as this it turns out the torturer screwed the mob over. The tribesmen return and torture the people.
Umberto Lenzi's other delving into cannibalism is not too bad, I haven't watched it in a few years so it felt fresh in my mind. The acting is good, soundtrack dull but not terrible and the voice dubbing is ok.(of course though it was The vipco release so can't say much on quality).
6/10

Xtro
A man is playing with his son and dog, after throwing a stick in the air he's abducted by aliens, a few years later and an alien lands on earth, killing a couple and then impregnating a woman and birthing the father from the beginning, who then goes to find his wife and son and try to bring them back to the alien world by giving his son his powers.
For a low budget sci fi horror film; it looks great. The effects are amazing, plenty of memorable moments. However the acting is meh and the soundtrack is annoying and at times sounds like someone passed out in the keyboard of a synthesizer.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 7th October 2017, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A perfect cure for those who have seen Dan Curtis version of Dracula, here we have a fun, stylish film with a charismatic actor in the role f Dracula who doesn't murder the love of his unlife as soon as he claps eyes on her, at it heart it's a love story. The new 4k version looks stunning with bold and bright colours and realistic darks, was able to see levels of detail on the sets etc I had not seen before. Let's not forget Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing who cuts the ham so thick it would choke a horse. 9.2/10

I love this film loads. I bought the steelbook which has the 4K master on a regular Blu-ray which looks fantastic so I can only imagine what it looks like in true 4K.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!