Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2018, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

For what it's worth, I really liked The Wailing.
Old 7th October 2018, 04:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
The Visitor.

John Huston is God and has taken Satan prisoner in his space ship. But Satan escapes to Earth and starts using his powers of evil to impregnate women and giving them antichrist babies.
So God sends a flock of birds to kill him, but he turns himself into a eagle and manages to kill all but three of them, eventhough they manage to fatally wound him.
afterwards God becomes an exorcist and hunts down all the satanic babies, and is now after a child called Katy collins who lives with her mother in Atlanta. Or something like that.
Exactly!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th October 2018, 04:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
For what it's worth, I really liked The Wailing.
For what it's worth, I really liked 'The Reptile'!

I remember reading the story in the Second Hammer Horror Film Omnibus a long time before I saw the film, and I thought it was a cracker

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th October 2018, 04:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 6th

The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter's version of the classic novella Who Goes There?, first brought to the screen by Howard Hawks in 1951, is a special effects masterclass from Rob Bottin. The Thing still sports the most gruesome and grizzly effects ever captured on film and remains a masterpiece of suspenseful horror cinema.

The Exorcist (1973)

Speaking of suspense. The Exorcist remains the thinking mans horror film which juxtaposes graphic shock with allegorical levels of religion vs evil. With tremendous performances throughout and one of the finest opening sequences of 70's cinema in the discovery of the amulet in Northern Iraq. The Exorcist throws so much more at you than nauseous horror with subtleties throughout which i think give the film it's longevity and re-watch value.
Old 7th October 2018, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anthony Hopkins hams it up gloriously as Van Helsing in Francis Ford Coppolas Dracula. 8/10

Silly , gross and rude , few of the jokes fall flat but most work and it's a lot of fun. A group of priests live together , whom fight the forces of evil, but these aren't your normal priests ,they swear ,take drugs and have orgys and try to commit as many sins as they can, there is a reason to this, which is as a last resort they will get a demon to possess themselves and commit suicide, with what sins they have commit they will go straight to hell with what ever demon has possessed them. Trouble is a foot when a demon is unleashed set on ending creation, to make matters worse there is a new pope who plans to get rid of the priests. Clancy Brown steals the show. 7/10

Up after doctor who deliver us from evil.
Old 7th October 2018, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost Story 1981.

Four men form their own group The Chowder Society, telling each other ghost stories. When tragedy strikes, they are drawn into a real ghost story of their own.

From the novel of the same name by Peter Straub, this was both a good novel and movie told in flashbacks by the older generation and young generation of a chance meeting with a young woman. There is a good strong cast from everyone and a interesting background score, for me this film didn't drag on, worth a watch. Up next the woman in black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51V61C6NX4L.jpg (50.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2018, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

City of The Dead(1960).

A witch, Elizabeth Selwyn, is burnt at the stake in New England and puts a curse on the town before she dies. Moving to the present day, a young college student Nan Barlow is studying the history of witchcraft in the class of Professor Driscol, Christopher Lee. To further her education he recommends her to go to the town of Whitewood in New England.

Beautifully shot in black and white, this is a superb tale of witchcraft that's dripping in atmosphere. With the foreboding Raven's Inn run by the creepy Mrs. Newliss and the mist and fog that lingers in every corner of the town which gives a very uneasy and claustrophobic feeling.

The acting is also superb as well, with Christopher Lee as authoritative as ever. And the cute actress Venetia Stevenson who plays Nan Barlow is very good too as the headstrong young girl who may get more than she bargained for on Candlemas Eve.

Very highly recommended. And one of the best British horror films outside of Hammer. 9/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (11.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th October 2018, 09:07 PM
Cult Addict

Hatchet
A tour group gets stranded in a Swamp after their boat gets stuck only to be violently murdered by a ghost.
My mates opinion - "Manson again in the opening credits, but ****ing great"
Me, I love this film, if for no reason other than the kills - that's just one reason. It sticks to me as it was the first horror movie that got me into blind buying horrors and building up my collection of trash, so there's that.
Tomorrow night - a coin toss between The Slayer and The Mutilator.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 7th October 2018, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Hatchet
A tour group gets stranded in a Swamp after their boat gets stuck only to be violently murdered by a ghost.
My mates opinion - "Manson again in the opening credits, but ****ing great"
Me, I love this film, if for no reason other than the kills - that's just one reason. It sticks to me as it was the first horror movie that got me into blind buying horrors and building up my collection of trash, so there's that.
Tomorrow night - a coin toss between The Slayer and The Mutilator.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Mutilator would be my choice
Old 7th October 2018, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Woman In Black 2012.

Solicitor Arthur Kipps is sent to a remote village to sort out the personal details of the late occupier of Eel Marsh and is shrouded in local superstition which may be true.

I never read the book but saw the 1989 version which probably at the time was suspenseful, I was hesitant to watch this movie and glad I did.

This has it all, dark gloomy house, gothic atmosphere, and dark shadows, I will admit even at a film rated 12 I jumped quite a few times, who didn't though. Daniel Radcliffe plays brilliantly from being in Harry Potter films. It does have the suspense music to it with some twist and turns which helps the movie. It does have a really good build up straight through and best watched in the dark. 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91Pfiq4Wb4L._SY445_.jpg (37.2 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!