Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2018, 01:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I quite like it too, my edition has a painting of Jack Nicholson on the front and it’s awful

Attachment 209927
Amazon are selling said same book - Halloween edition - for a tenner.

Asda also have it for £3.50.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Completely unrelated and probably should have been posted in several threads before this one but here it is due to the King discussion.

Is The Shining a good book? I haven't read it ever despite me owning many other King books. I saw a nice new Halloween edition paperback version today in Sainsburys for £3.50 and didn't buy it. Should i regret it.

Good book but as Rik said nothing like the film, the tv series is a lot closer to the book.
Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:16 PM
Cult Veteran

I concur that the book is fantastic!
Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th October 2018, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 10th

The Uninvited (1944)

Ray Milland and his sister, Ruth Hussey, purchase an old house on the Cornish coast and find it to be haunted.

Made as just a filler or B-production, The Uninvited quickly became much more than that with all it's elements coming together to produce a genre classic.

The cinematography is terrific but it's the sound design that truly stands out. We see and practically feel every breeze, and every ghostly noise, especially the sobbing, seems to be in the room with us. The hauntings are brilliantly conceived throughout. There's also a bit of dark humour as Milland in attempting to justify what is happening to sis is really trying to hold back his own terror and convince himself nothing was to be feared.

Superb from beginning to end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-uninvited-movie-poster-md.jpg (48.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th October 2018, 01:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Completely unrelated and probably should have been posted in several threads before this one but here it is due to the King discussion.

Is The Shining a good book? I haven't read it ever despite me owning many other King books. I saw a nice new Halloween edition paperback version today in Sainsburys for £3.50 and didn't buy it. Should i regret it.

It's certainly one of the better King novels I've read but it still has a long arse patch of about a hundred pages of long winded exposition just when it's really starting to hit full speed.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Dolls
A father, his mistress and his daughter get stuck in the woods during a storm and find a house. Some other guy and a couple of girls arrive. They all plan to stay the night. But unfortunately for them there's killer toys.
Killer toys and overacting are what you get from this. It's great and also creepy. Not Stuart Gordon's best work, but it ain't terrible. It's better than robot jox to be honest.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Must admit i thought Dolls was excellent.

I hadn't been binging Puppetmaster beforehand though.
I think Dolls is Stuart Gordon's best film. I adore it and rate it higher than Reanimator.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
To be honest i dont think i have seen Night of the demon, but will check that out, the comparisons have got me intrigued.
Night of the Demon (1957) really is a great film, definitely recommended.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th October 2018, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Possession (1981, Andre Zulawski)

Searing and unflinching. But enough of my curried plums ....

More grounded than Kramer Vs Kramer, this rather heightened tale of betrayal and paranoia betwixt a warring couple is an unusual choice ...or is it? There's plenty of claret . and lots of screaming .... and twas banned by our fearless moral guardians as being "depraving and corrupting". So there

Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani try and out diva each other here. It's a very operatic film imho ... Neill just lets rip without any net at the drop of a hat, and Adjani just about tops him with the "tunnel" sequence. Haven't seen this one? Well, it's ARTHOUSE with gore wink wink. Whomever is left can sort it out for themselves. Watch the trailer. Actually don't.
This was the SS UK dvd. Cannot wait to get this on BD.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th October 2018, 05:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I think it's a great book and one which should be considered a separate entity from the film, which uses only the basic premise and characters. If that is the same artwork as the one they have in Sainsbury's, it might be worth buying just to put on your bookshelf or coffee table!

As has been said, it's also a novel which has sections which are overlong and really needed 'pruning', something typical of most of Stephen King's longer books (the short stories and shorter novels like Carrie are different).
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th October 2018, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think it's a great book and one which should be considered a separate entity from the film, which uses only the basic premise and characters. If that is the same artwork as the one they have in Sainsbury's, it might be worth buying just to put on your bookshelf or coffee table!

As has been said, it's also a novel which has sections which are overlong and really needed 'pruning', something typical of most of Stephen King's longer books (the short stories and shorter novels like Carrie are different).
Cheers, Nos.

Nice signature image by the way.Trick r' Treat is one of those films that is guaranteed an October viewing for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!