Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2019 05:55 PM

October 8th

2 Attachment(s)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Director Francis Ford Coppola's gothic masterpiece is as near to Bram Stoker's classic novel as any of the many screen adaptations have been. The faithful screenplay from James V Hart is an imaginative even slightly self indulgent, experimental affair with a distinct visual flair and mood that keeps it well within reach of Coppola's own fans as well as officianados of classic vampire horror. The sets are superb, be it old London, or the wilds of Transylvania. CGI is apparent but never obtrusive as Coppola brings us images direct from the book which other screen versions have never dared (or technically been able to).

The cast is an impressive one that features many huge stars of the late eighties / early nineties. Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins and Keanu Reeves were all arguably at the peak of their careers, and a formidable supporting cast of Richard E Grant, Cary Elwes and Tom Waits meant quality acting talent dominated the screen. However it is relative big screen newcomer Gary Oldman as Dracula who stole the show from the films more famous lights. Most famous for his portrayal of Sid Viscious in the 1986 film Sid and Nancy, Oldman had just finished working with another directing great in Oliver Stone. (Oldman was Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK) Oldman is superb appearing in various guises and make up effects as he grows in stature from the young Vlad the Impaler to a centuries old Dracula not to mention a wolf like creature and a terrifying bat monstrosity.

A special mention must go to composer Wojciech Kilar, whose score is one of the highlights of film music of the last thirty years with its Mars Bringer of War styled centrepiece and haunting melodies to make the skin shiver, it even incorporates Hammer's Dracula theme by James Bernard into it's opening titles. Kilar has produced the finest music to ever grace a gothic horror film.

Coppola takes the erotic elements from Stoker's novel and reaches new heights as Dracula seduces and takes Ryder's Mina Harker as his bride. Never had a Dracula film been as erotically charged before. Not to mention the temptation of Reeves' Jonathan Harker as three stunning vampire girls seduce and then bleed the blood from his veins to satisfy their virulent hungry desires.

Bram Stoker's Dracula was the first of a slew of historical horror classics featuring the great monsters to reach the big screen, and was a huge hit with audiences worldwide taking $216 million on a relatively small budget of $40 million. The films which blazed through in its trail (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Wolf, Mary Reilly) all proved far less successful with only Interview with the Vampire able to touch it as far as box office was concerned.

Coppola's film does have its critics mainly due to what some say is a poor performance from Keanu Reeves, i think he does a decent job in the role of Jonathan Harker and is certainly no worse than John Van Eyssen was in Hammer's classic Horror of Dracula in 1957. It is, after all the role of a protagonist who introduces Dracula to the audience then becomes fodder for his vampire brides.

Vampyr (1932)

The first talkie film from Danish director Carl Theodor Dreyer and based on elements of Le Fanu's short story collection In A Glass Darkly.

As a visual piece it's quite ethereal with it's foggy lenses and shifting perspectives which at times defy logic and make it as much a dream like state as it does a coherent feature film. I've seen it three or four times now and find it more disorientating rather than anything remotely logical. Yet despite this the imagery on screen captures my imagination no end and will ensure it's a film always worth returning to.

Best summed up as an exploration of good and evil, faith versus the supernatural and reality versus unreality, Vampyr remains a masterpiece of thirties cinema even if i still don't quite 'get it'.

Nordicdusk 9th October 2019 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 9

Attachment 219777

An alien moves in with two lesbians and hilarity ensues.

Nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens oh wait something happened oh wait its over.

I like to try give a more detailed review of why i didn't or did like something but i just cant be arsed reliving this mess.

Horrendous pointless boring sh*t.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 612942)
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

An alien moves in with two lesbeans and hilarity ensues.

Nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens nothing happens oh wait something happened oh wait its over.

I like to try give a more detailed review of why i didn't or did like something but i just cant be arsed reliving this mess.

Horrendous pointless boring sh*t.

What the f*cks a lesbean? I've heard of kidney beans, broad beans and so on but not lesbeans.

Nordicdusk 9th October 2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 612946)
What the f*cks a lesbean? I've heard of kidney beans, broad beans and so on but not lesbeans.

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

MrBarlow 9th October 2019 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House on Sorritory Row 1983.

At the end of their year, the sisters of Pi Theta house decide to pull a prank on their house mother Mrs Slater only for it to go wrong , they cover it up and enjoy the party they are throwing only for them to be picked off one by one by a unknown assailant...did Mrs Slater return from the dead?

Standard early 80s slasher film that seems to take the same route as the 70s film Black Christmas with a killer in the house playing cat and mouse the housemates. Rather on the cheap side it rely's on the gore scenes than the jump scenes which the killings were done decently. The acting is fairly decent and Lois Hunt who plays Mrs Slater her voice is dubbed and can be noticeable at times, enjoyable flick, fast paced only downside i hate is the ending. Worth checking out.

trebor8273 9th October 2019 07:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgfQ-0lYbg

The Addams welcome their newest member baby Pubert , this doesn't sit well with Wednesday and Pugsley who set out to kill the baby. But that's only the beginning of the family's problems when a black widow arrives pretending to be the new nanny, sets her sites on Fester as her latest victims, Wednesday and Pugsley are sent to a day camp when they become suspicious . Enjoyed this more than the first and both Huston and Ricci were great. 8/10

Now watching final part of the Stand.

bleakshaun 9th October 2019 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pet Semetary
A family lose their pet cat, so the dad buries the cat in an ancient Indian burial ground, the cat comes back but not the same. Then their youngest son dies.
I do enjoy this adaptation, however I don't really rate it as highly as other Stephen King adaptations. Still a fun watch though.
Attachment 219779

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Justin101 9th October 2019 07:59 PM

I've gone completely off piste :lol:

Teen Wolf (1985)

https://auntymuriel.files.wordpress....wolf-fangs.png

Great fun, and it has a, erm, werewolf in it, it totally counts :lol:

Nordicdusk 9th October 2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 612967)
I've gone completely off piste :lol:

Teen Wolf (1985)

https://auntymuriel.files.wordpress....wolf-fangs.png

Great fun, and it has a, erm, werewolf in it, it totally counts :lol:

And it's better than Torso it has some willie action at the end :lol:

trebor8273 9th October 2019 08:28 PM

Finished The Stand.

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1BH0uPIruQ