Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2022, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Friday The 13th Part 2. 1981.

New camp being opened not far from Camp Crystal Lake and the killings begin to start.

Set 5 years after Alice survived the ordeal and Mrs Vorhees loosing her marbles and head, new young horny staff come to spread the joy only for the lumberjack sack wearing killer to spread their blood all over the place. Like the original this has isolation, dark atmosphere and decent kills but did they have to slightly tone it down. Adrienne King returns as Alice in a minor role at the start then Amy Steel takes lead female survivalist.

s-l500.jpg

Up Next Horror Hospital
Old 3rd October 2022, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Storm of the century part 2

The storm has gotten worse , the local lighthouse has been destroyed but Linoge is still the greatest danger to the town , more people die mysteriously, the townsfolk all share the same dream , we find he is linked to roanoke colony disappearance and his true name is Legion . Another great episode .

Storm of the century part 3

Linoge has turned the townsfolk against each other, the children have all fallen asleep and he finally says what he wants, he wants one of the town's children to take as his own child. Our hero the sheriff is against this but everyone else including his own wife agree.

Of course we all know what child is chosen. linoge leaves the town in peace with the sheriffs son, the sheriff leaves the town in disgust at what happend, nine years later he sees his son but he is now a demon .

Great end too a great mini series , like most of Kings stuff the townsfolk seem nice enough too start but as it goes on most are terrible people . Linoge didn't really come of as evil he was just showing what was deep in the hearts of the townsfolk and how weak they are.

Now watching The night stalker.

Followed by nobody sleeps in the woods tonight.
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Horror Hospital. 1973.

Pop group member Jason is persuaded to take a holiday and goes to a manor house for relaxation. Judy is heading to the same manor to find a relative and both uncover something dark inside.

Robin Askwith plays the band member wanting to get away and cool his beans after being sacked by his band members and manager. Vanessa Shaw plays Judy who is looking for a aunt after her mother passed away and to sort out some inheritance. Michael Gough plays Doctor Storm who runs the health clinic but performs some unnecessary surgeries on his guests with Ellen Pollock as his housekeeper and assistant.

By no means is this a masterpiece of a horror, the mad doctor has performed a way to control his patients through some sort of lobotomy procedure and have them at his beck and call. Skip Martin plays the manservant, at the start it's like we actually hate the three staff members but as the film goes on we begin to cheer for the little guy. Low budget with some bad acting and a John Lennon wannabe but strangely it's entertaining.

Horror_Hospital_FilmPoster.jpeg

Up next Halloween: H20
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:35 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Americangothic1988.jpg

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 3

When six friends head off for a weekend away in their seaplane they are forced to make an emergency landing when the plane suffers some engine malfunction off an remote island in the Pacific Northwest. Seeking assistance and shelter they find a house owned by Ma and Pa a real god fearing elderly couple and their three "kids" Fanny Woody and Teddy but these are no ordinary kids. It's not long before the warm welcome the group received turns very cold indeed.

I have been meaning to check this out for years and never got around to it so glad I go finally did. I love the madness of it all the "kids" are so creepy and funny at the same time playing around like real children jumping rope playing on the big swing shooting cap guns which all adds to the disturbing nature of the film. All the kills are fun as hell made better by the reaction of the kids so devious yet playful and innocent its fantastic.

As crazy as the film is I think the twist is more disturbing than what went before it when an even more sinister madness takes over.

Great acting great setting great kills 3 for 3 it's a great start how long will this positive run last
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

American Gothic is a film i've only seen once on a pretty poor dvd. Great performances from screen legends Rod Steiger and Yvonne De Carlo.

The sort of thing i'd possibly pick up on blu were it to get a release.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
American Gothic is a film i've only seen once on a pretty poor dvd. Great performances from screen legends Rod Steiger and Yvonne De Carlo.

The sort of thing i'd possibly pick up on blu were it to get a release.
Think it's only a Scream Factory blu ray so far.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Think it's only a Scream Factory blu ray so far.
Thanks. There's so much stuff out / coming out over here i'm not even following international releases.

I can barely afford UK editions never mind thinking about the terrible exchange rate for US releases at the moment.
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later. 1998.

Laurie Strode now living in California under a different name and head teacher of a boarding school with her son battles it out with her brother one more time.

This one ignores the previous 3 films, Loomis is now dead (R.I.P both actor and character) and has a good start with Nurse Marion from the first and second movies with little neighbour Joseph Gordon-Levitt who probably never watched Scream and never knew the rules of a horror film. The acting is decent but why does Josh Hartnett wear a shirt that looks 2 sizes too big for him?

LL Cool J plays the security guard Ronnie who is a aspiring writer and likes to get his Mrs a bit hot then stops, what is it with horror movies and security guards getting killed...have they got something against us? The pace seems good then goes a bit slow and stop then back on track but has the good Carpenter score.

8OOyralXanVmWxPvYFljiVCQoGS.jpg

Up next Nurse Sherrie
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later. 1998.

Laurie Strode now living in California under a different name and head teacher of a boarding school with her son battles it out with her brother one more time.

This one ignores the previous 3 films, Loomis is now dead (R.I.P both actor and character) and has a good start with Nurse Marion from the first and second movies with little neighbour Joseph Gordon-Levitt who probably never watched Scream and never knew the rules of a horror film. The acting is decent but why does Josh Hartnett wear a shirt that looks 2 sizes too big for him?

LL Cool J plays the security guard Ronnie who is a aspiring writer and likes to get his Mrs a bit hot then stops, what is it with horror movies and security guards getting killed...have they got something against us? The pace seems good then goes a bit slow and stop then back on track but has the good Carpenter score.
The score was one of the things i loved about this when i saw it at the pictures at the time.

I went to buy the soundtrack cd and found although he used parts of Carpenter's theme the rest of the soundtrack is by John Ottway.

I ended up not buying it because it was only on US import at HMV and was really expensive. We are talking the late 90's here when non-chart cd albums were considerably less than they are now
MacBlayne, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nurse Sherri. 1978.

A patient dies in hospital and his soul possesses a nurse and controls her body to seek those responsible for his death.

This was a blind watch for me and had no idea what I be getting into, when the name Al Adamson came up, flashbacks of Dracula vs Frankenstein came flooding back to me and thought this may be shite. I was a bit wrong, Jill Jacobson plays the possessed nurse and able to give out a decent performance even though the demonic voice is a bit laugh. The gruesome murders are definitely not to be taken seriously and somewhat comedic, the budget isn't that big but certainly Exorcist rip-off, strangely entertaining though even with Jill and Marilyn Joi getting their tops off.

ekMJXu0wZ7dWSyV3F7GzBWUADgb.jpg

Up next 28 Weeks Later.

Like this? Share it using the links below!