Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 676985)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) ★★½

Picking up roughly after the events of Dracula Has from the Grave, this begins with a businessman, Weller (Roy Kinnear) who is thrown from his carriage. After regaining consciousness, he sees a caped figure with a large crucifix sticking out of his back disintegrating into melted wax crayon, which then evaporated into powder. In it, he finds jewellery identifying the mysterious being as Dracula.

Long story short, Weller has taken some of the desiccated blood and sells it to three rich philanthropists (including one played by Peter Sallis) who, in a black mass ritual with a disgraced aristocrat, resurrect Count Dracula.

Most people would be grateful at being given another life, but Dracula is pissed off at these three gents and decides to kill them, turning – as in Dracula (1958) – one of their daughters (Linda Hayden) into a vampire in the process.

Despite some decent atmosphere, this uninspired sequel can't seem to make its mind up whether to prominently feature Christopher Lee or not, so the great actor, who doesn't appear until the 45th minute in this 95-minute film, can't have more than five minutes screen time.

Linda Hayden is good value for money, though not quite as captivating as in Blood on Satan's Claw, and the costumes and production design are typically good for a Hammer production.

Overall, the film is a bit leaden and lacks the energy, engagement, and eeriness of the Terence Fisher-helmed Dracula films.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676989)
No, no, no!

I can't agree with this one bit. :crazed: Still as the saying goes 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

From the guy who done all Hammer Horror Dracula's back to back, After Dracula: Prince Of Darkness which I felt was the best sequel, i thought the other ones got better as they went along, yeah Linda Hayden was a good choice and she can bite my neck anytime.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 676991)
From the guy who done all Hammer Horror Dracula's back to back, After Dracula: Prince Of Darkness which I felt was the best sequel, i thought the other ones got better as they went along, yeah Linda Hayden was a good choice and she can bite my neck anytime.

You do realise Hayden was never a vampire in TTBOD? :skull:

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676992)

Yeah I do know that and she can still have a go if she likes :skull:

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Splice. 2009.

Genetic scientists Clive and Elsa hoping to achieve fame within their field splice DNA from different animals and create a hybrid species for medical research that works but the hybrid can't be controlled.

Adrian Brody and Sarah Pollock play the lead scientists who seem to think they are playing god, we have had mad doctors over the years now we have got mad scientists to add in the horror/Sci-Fi genre and troubles being a parent as their project grows up quickly.

The creature effects are decently done with Abigail Chu and Delphine Chaneac playing the younger and older Dren, but as it goes on you begin to realise what will happen and really not much of a plot twist at the end. Decent enough to watch but last 15-20 minutes seemed to let it down slightly for me.

Attachment 242570

Up next The Wicker Man

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676989)
No, no, no!

I can't agree with this one bit. :crazed: Still as the saying goes 'one man's meat is another man's poison'.

I was possibly a little harsh and probably need to watch all the Hammer Dracula films in order again – it's been years since I saw the whole series of films.:coffin:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2022 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 676992)

That was my mistake – I put Linda Hayden and Isla Blair in the wrong places while writing the review. :doh:

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 676996)
I was possibly a little harsh and probably need to watch all the Hammer Dracula films in order again – it's been years since I saw the whole series of films.:coffin:

9 hours certainly worth passing if you do it in one go Nos :popcorn:

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 676997)
That was my mistake – I put Linda Hayden and Isla Blair in the wrong places while writing the review. :doh:

At least you didn't put Linda Blair in otherwise we be thinking you were watching the wrong film :skull::skull:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th October 2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 676998)
9 hours certainly worth passing if you do it in one go Nos :popcorn:

There are worse ways to spend a couple of days and get ready for Halloween! :vamp:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 676999)
At least you didn't put Linda Blair in otherwise we be thinking you were watching the wrong film :skull::skull:

That would be a very unfortunate mistake, especially for someone whose favourite film is The Exorcist! :lol:

MrBarlow 9th October 2022 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Wicker Man. 1973.

One of Christopher Lee's greatest roles away from the Dracula films, island community packed with isolation, paganism, plenty of female nudity that upsets Edward Woodward who manages to resist the urge to visit Britt Ekland. A film that has managed to still be remembered for the ending and great acting, never gets dull just better and better with every viewing.

Attachment 242571

Up next The House Of Mortal Sin