Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2023, 08:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
My October viewing will be very different from previous years because World Rugby has inconsiderately arranged a World Cup for this autumn, culminating on October 28, so I'll only have a handful of rugby-free evenings this month.

I intend to watch most or all of these:
The Witch
The Babadook
The Exorcist
Saint Maud
Ghostwatch
The Horror of Frankenstein
The Innkeepers
Men
X
The football World Cup ruined my Christmas movie viewing last December.

At least you are free to view films until Thursday as there are no games for the next three days.
Old 1st October 2023, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream 2. 1997.

Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette and Jamie Kennedy return, this time on a college campus a copy cat has followed Sidney and Randy and are joined by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jerry O'Connell and Timothy Olyphant.

Gale Withers wrote a book on the previous murders and thinks she is the next best thing now the book is made into a movie called Stab....Good title. Some good laughs especially kids in class discussing sequels are superior to the previous film. Leiv Schrieber makes a appearance as Cotton Leary who was mentioned in the first film and seems a bit scared of his own shadow and looking for his 15 mins of fame. All in all this was decent and entertaining and why did Randy bite the bullit??

p20341_p_v8_ab.jpg

Up next Count Yorga.
Old 1st October 2023, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
So far for this year's horror moviethon

Scream
Urban Legend box set
Visiting Hours
The Leech Woman
The Pit And The Pendulum
Night Of The Eagle
Tales Of Terror
Count Yorga Vampire
The Ballad Of Tam-Lin
Blood And Lace
Subspecies V
Couldron Of Blood
The Sorcerers
See No Evil (Mia Farrow)
Carnival Of Blood
The Bell From Hell
The Loreley's Grasp
Torso
Splatter University
Demonoid

So far thats the list and more will be added but subjected list may change or delay in watching and posting.
I didn't think you were watching these all in the first day.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 1st October 2023, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't think you were watching these all in the first day.
Gotta spread some for the month, and last year you got Mr Barlow's 24 hour cut, this year may be a new deluxe 24 hour version
Old 1st October 2023, 11:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Count Yorga, Vampire1070.

Robert Quarry stars as the Bulgarian neck nosher who is to help a woman contact her deceased mother in a failed seance and slowly seduces the women around him.

This was the first vampire film set in modern day. Still it isn't a great film. It was originally shot with soft core sex scenes which were pretty obviously edited out and it was turned into a sleazy PG rated film. It was made on a very low budget (it shows) and suffers from some horrible 1970s fashions and dialogue. Also the makeup on the female vampires is pretty poor. Still this isn't a total disaster either.

The script is actually pretty intelligent considering this was a fairly rushed production. The acting is good especially by Quarry who makes an imposing vampire. There are some memorably horrifying moments, including the infamous cat scene and Roger Perry's final confrontation with Yorga in the crypt. I also enjoy the seance, a funny way to set the scene and introduce the characters.

Count_Yorga,_Vampire_(1970)_003.jpg

Up next Prince Of Darkness.
Old 2nd October 2023, 01:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prince Of Darkness. 1987.

When the guardian priest of an abandoned church in Los Angeles dies, Donald Pleasance finds a diary and a key, opens the door of the basement and finds a cylinder with a gruesome green fluid. The priest contacts Victor Wong in the local university and he invites a team of students to research the findings and translate manuscripts. The group discovers that the liquid is the essence of evil, actually Satan's remains, and has been kept locked in the church for centuries.

One of John Carpenter's underrated movies that was made independently due to studio problems with Big Trouble In Little China. The film isn't fast paced, but it's not slow either, gradually building tension to the very end that's peppered with a mild scares throughout to assist. There are enough twists and turns to maintain an edge to the very end, with one final twist. The movie's entirely different concept of Good and Evil is developed in a very unique and unusual manner, while maintaining excellent credibility. Visual and Special effects along with the stunt work are done quite well, surprisingly so given the film's budget.

hqdefault.jpg

Up next Hell House LLC.
Old 2nd October 2023, 03:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hell House LLC. 2016.

After a opening night of a new haunted house tour that killed 15 guests in mysterious circumstances, a news crew find the only staff member who survived and has the tapes of what happened during the renovations and the tragic night.

A found footage scenario that starts off like a proper interview with people who investigated the house and theorists and then jumps to a interview with a survivor then straight to the tapes. The bunch of unknown actors do a decent job on keeping up the tension of getting things done with the renovations and sticking to a time limit and generally everyone being spooked. It does have the lack luster of being high on the blood and gore but relies more on ghosts, suspense and terror. This is pretty much low budget but it seems to have been done right and more entertaining than some other found footage movies I have seen.

06b231dbc70101a1_thumbnail.jpg

Up next Malatesta's Carnival Of Blood.
Old 2nd October 2023, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Not a movie, but last night I watched...

Out of the Unknown: To Lay a Ghost

It starts with a young Lesley-Anne Down playing a schoolgirl (short-skirted school uniform and hockey stick and all - it is the 70s after all!) is raped in a field. Flash forward and she's newly married to a photographer and just moving into a new house but can't have sex with him as she is still traumatised. He takes some photos which reveal a ghostly presence and then there are several unexplained attempts on his life, while his wife becomes a sleepwalker. A psychic detective steps in and finds out the ghost is a rapist and murderer and that his wife is a medium and has become psychically connected to him.

[SPOILER ALERT]

It turns out that LAD's character is not averse to having sex; she is averse to having consensual sex. Yes that's right, she likes to be raped! The final shots are of her in bed in a state of sexual anticipation while the ghost licks his lips. There's nothing sexually explicit in the episode but there are lots of shots of LAD in her night gown and a couple of times the camera lingers on her legs. The message from the writer though is shockingly clear - some women enjoy being raped.

Even by 70s standards this ones a jaw dropper - at one point the pyschic detective even suggests to the husband that he shouldn't be taking 'no' as an answer from his wife.

File this one under the 'would never be made now' banner

EDIT: Is the title a double entendre?

Last edited by Rob4; 2nd October 2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The football World Cup ruined my Christmas movie viewing last December.

At least you are free to view films until Thursday as there are no games for the next three days.
I need to make the most of the non-rugby evenings with Halloween viewing so I can enjoy the World Cup games without feeling guilty about not watching a horror film.
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Count Yorga, Vampire1070.

This was the first vampire film set in modern day.
Both The Vampire (1957) and The Return of Dracula (1958) had contemporary settings.

Like this? Share it using the links below!